Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need help identifying barnfind bicycle

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-23, 08:32 AM
James in NC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

We found and old Kent bicycle in an abandoned building. It is a 26 inch womens single speed. It had labels indicating it was made in Holland. It is weathered but most of the paint is intact enough to be legible and indicates the brand. It has a headlight. the chain guard has "Rite Kite" on it and next the stem it says "Power Ride". On the bottom of the crank we find three numbers stamped. They are difficult to read but appear to be 263 This forum will not let me post the pictures or a link to my Onedrive. If you think you can help please message me and I will provide a link to the photos. Thank you in advance for any help you might give.
Old 06-14-23, 08:58 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I don't think you can get a more precise ID than what you have --it's a Kent ladies bike with 26” wheels (i would be more specific: what tire size exactly?), made in Holland.

Kent is not a manufacturer. They import cheap bikes made all over the world. It sounds like yours was made in the 60’s or early 70’s.
Old 06-14-23, 09:03 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by James in NC
We found and old Kent bicycle in an abandoned building. It is a 26 inch womens single speed. It had labels indicating it was made in Holland. It is weathered but most of the paint is intact enough to be legible and indicates the brand. It has a headlight. the chain guard has "Rite Kite" on it and next the stem it says "Power Ride". On the bottom of the crank we find three numbers stamped. They are difficult to read but appear to be 263 This forum will not let me post the pictures or a link to my Onedrive. If you think you can help please message me and I will provide a link to the photos. Thank you in advance for any help you might give.
On the top left under the bike forums logo there's a link, Gallery. you can post your pictures there.
Old 06-14-23, 09:45 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​

the most likely manufacturer is Batavus

the rear hub is probably a Fichtel & Sachs product whether badged as Torpedo, Sachs, Centrix, etc

it should bear a date marking on the shell

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 06-14-23, 10:10 AM
juvela

Originally Posted by rhm
I don't think you can get a more precise ID than what you have --it's a Kent ladies bike with 26” wheels (i would be more specific: what tire size exactly?), made in Holland.

Kent is not a manufacturer. They import cheap bikes made all over the world. It sounds like yours was made in the 60’s or early 70’s.

-----

T-Mar writes on the Kent marque here -

​​​​​​"Kent was never a "house brand". The Kent brand dates back to 1958 and since it's beginning has been owned by Kent International. The company is headquartered in New Jersey, where the bicycles were originally manufactured. Over the years, the bicycles also been manufactured by various Asian sources, though the company has recently brought back manufacturing to a California factory. The Kent brand was marketed through various large retail chains, which may have given the impression that it was a house brand but these retailers did not own the brand, so Kent should not be considered a house brand. It's worth noting that Kent International has revived and now owns two brands familiar to many C& V members; Shogun and Takara."

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/21337799-post17.html

manufacturing bicycles today on U.S. soil

​​​​​​https://kent.bike/

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 06-14-23, 10:41 AM
juvela

-----

James -

i note that there is a pushbutton switch mounted on the handlebar to control the headlamp but there is no obvious power source for the lamp. is there a battery, or provision for one, inside the lamp housing?

note the cycle's interesting propstand. it bears an external sleeve on the shaft so that length can be adjusted with the aid of a binder collar. no need to hacksaw off a portion of one's ESGE or Greenfield. stand can be moved from one cycle to another with a differing bottom bracket height and still be a good fit.

are you able to determine the purpose of the fitting on the top of the "top tube" (portage grip!) in the centre of the frame?

according to what T-Mar has written regarding the Kent marque 1958 would have been the first year for operation of Kent International, based in Fairfield New Jersey.

wonder if it possible there may have been a second Kent marque (just wylde speculation ).

-----

Last edited by juvela; 06-14-23 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spellin'
Old 06-14-23, 08:26 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​
​​​​
You really need to find an original Hite Rite to use on this bicycle. It's absolutely unnecessary and a waste of money in this application but it absolutely belongs.
Old 06-15-23, 09:04 AM
James in NC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you meant Thumpism. Thank you though for your response. Have a Great Day.
Old 06-15-23, 01:35 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by rhm

-----

had looked for these links earlier regarding Kent International without success

here they are now

company opened a manufacturing plant in South Carolina in 2016

there is an article about it in Forbes Magazine here -

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbest...h=40cf913f13e8

forum post -

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/21538753-post1368.html

-----
Old 06-23-23, 01:05 AM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
The Kent trademark name was created by Philkam Cycle Supply Co. Inc. of Newark, New Jersey in August 1958.

Philkam Cycle began in 1947, but the family business extends back to 1909 with Abraham Kamler. This is how the current Kent International can claim over 100 years of experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_International

Last edited by Hummer; 06-23-23 at 01:17 AM. Reason: wording correction and spelling
Likes For Hummer:
Old 06-23-23, 11:25 AM
Hummer

Originally Posted by juvela
. . .

the rear hub is probably a Fichtel & Sachs product whether badged as Torpedo, Sachs, Centrix, etc

. . .
Centrix hubs were produced by Richard Gottschalk in Gevelsberg, West Germany.
Old 06-23-23, 11:54 AM
Hummer

Kent headbadge logo

Kent logo from the US Patent Office 1958.

Old 06-23-23, 11:57 AM
Hummer

Another Kent made in Holland from ebay. Serial number on the dropout. Centrix hub by Gottschalk.

Kent Ride Rite

Kent Ride Rite
Old 06-23-23, 12:37 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,605 Times in 1,765 Posts
Although made in Holland, they were made exclusively for the North-American market. No Dutchman would recognize it, and matching it to a manufacturer is difficult without additional information.

Batavus and Union are likely suspects, though.

Likes For non-fixie: