Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Lycett L'Avenir Saddle

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-24, 01:01 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Lycett L'Avenir Saddle

Offering up this Lycett L'Avenir saddle I've had in my parts bin for as long as I remember. I don't know anything about these nor if there is any value to one in this condition. Figured I'd see if there's any interest here. I measure width around 148mm. The leather is still firm up top but you can see the cracking on the bottom side. The worst section is the very back where the leather bends down between the two rivets (photo below). Flimsy and pretty ugly in that section. Unsightly parts aside, it feels to me like there's still some life left in this saddle.

$28 shipped CONUS PPFF

Old 01-08-24, 07:04 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
That's an excellent value!

For those who are wondering.... The Lycett L'Avenir is a Brooks product similar to a Wrights W3N, but styled a bit more like a Professional. Same frame and hardware as a B17 narrow.
Old 01-08-24, 08:33 PM
plonz 

Originally Posted by rhm
That's an excellent value!

For those who are wondering.... The Lycett L'Avenir is a Brooks product similar to a Wrights W3N, but styled a bit more like a Professional. Same frame and hardware as a B17 narrow.
Thanks for the info. Should I interpret the laughing emoji to mean this saddle in this condition isn't worth the stout $28 listing price?
Old 01-09-24, 08:07 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by plonz
Thanks for the info. Should I interpret the laughing emoji to mean this saddle in this condition isn't worth the stout $28 listing price?
Oh, no, not at all! Sorry about that, there.... I have a vague recollection that ten or fifteen years ago on this forum that phrase came to be overused, sometimes ironically.

​​​​$28 shipped is a very low price for a usable leather saddle. It's hard to find even a broken one at that price on eBay. So the question, of course, is: how usable is this saddle? Answer: there's only one way to find out! But if it turns out to be beyond usable, $28 shipped is still a good price for a Brooks frame with all the nose hardware.
I Look at it this way: if you wanted me to make you a custom saddle, you could either send me a busted one to recover, or ask me to supply the frame and hardware myself; the difference in price would be $30, not including the cost of mailing me the busted one.
Old 01-09-24, 08:25 PM
plonz 

^ Internetting for decades and I still can't interpret correctly!

FWIW, the leather is very firm on top and I'm certain it's going to ride just fine. I've never used a Brooks saddle so maybe a good opportunity just to give this one a go on the Panasonic Pro Touring I have waiting in the wings.