Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Excited about riding again

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-15, 05:37 AM
NOLABIKER

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D, Electra Rat Fink, Electra Ghostrider, Nirve Cannibal, Firmstrong Urban Deluxe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello all.
Just purchased my first Electra bicycle this past Saturday. The Townie 7d in black. Got the shop to install fenders, a rear rack and a bottle cage on it when I picked it up. It may not sound expensive to others here, but at just under $600 out the door, this is the most expensive bicycle that I have ever purchased in my life. I love the look and feel of it. I tried out a couple of other brands (Giant, Specialized, etc.) but kept coming back to the Townie as the one that I favored. Didn't have much time to ride it once I got it home though. I was able to get 4.5 miles in early Sunday morning and another 1.59 miles in the evening between rain showers.
I'm looking forward to pimping it out soon. Thinking of adding one, maybe two, bullet head lamps to the handlebar and some Soma silver bullet taillights to the rear.
Thanks for having me here.
Old 06-29-15, 08:05 AM
glider54

Bikes: 2016 DCO RealFat 26, 2015 Fuji Sportif 2.3 converted to single speed, 2019 Mec Provincial Road 222

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Sounds like you are going to enjoy your new bike. I hope you have many many happy miles on it.
Old 06-29-15, 10:30 AM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Don't get too excited over accessories, the most important thing is that you ride it. Put in some base miles and add to it as you go.

BTW, you say you had fenders and a rack installed, do you plan on commuting to work/school on this bike? Lots of tips & tricks from lots of experienced commuters in the Commuting forum.
Old 06-29-15, 11:03 AM
NOLABIKER

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D, Electra Rat Fink, Electra Ghostrider, Nirve Cannibal, Firmstrong Urban Deluxe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeRides
Don't get too excited over accessories, the most important thing is that you ride it. Put in some base miles and add to it as you go.

BTW, you say you had fenders and a rack installed, do you plan on commuting to work/school on this bike? Lots of tips & tricks from lots of experienced commuters in the Commuting forum.
Eventually I would like to commute to work with it. It's only about 7 miles each way. Just too damn hot in Louisiana to start that right now. The morning wouldn't be too bad since I would be leaving before the sun cam up. But that 5pm sun and humidity can be brutal. Looking around right now for a bag to attach to the rack. Wouldn't have to hold much, maybe a change of clothes and a towel or two. I hate riding with a backpack on, so if I can get away with a bag on the rack, that would be the way for me to go.

Last edited by NOLABIKER; 08-10-15 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-29-15, 11:21 AM
BigMo59

Bikes: 2014 Trek Shift 4, 2015 Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a 60 year old clyde and I started riding again one year ago. Had it not been for the comfort level of the Townie, I doubt if I'd ever started back riding. They definitely have their advantages. Congrats on you brand new bike and I hope it make you feel like a kid again as it did me!
Old 06-29-15, 11:27 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Enjoy the bike...go ride the crap out of it...
Old 07-13-15, 10:54 AM
NOLABIKER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So I've had my new bike for 17 days so far and have logged 75.58 miles. Would have had more by now but we had about 4 days of rain here the first week I had the bike. Talk about frustration!

Just got back from a 10.39 mile ride this morning. Took 1hr 50 minutes making several stops. Wasn't that I was tired or anything but I play this game called Munzee so I stopped a lot to play around with that. The weather wasn't too bad, still hot and humid. But there's a lot of shade along the Tammany Trace where I was riding this morning.
During the week, I have been able to pull my son away from the tv long enough to do a quick 4-6 mile ride before it gets too dark.

Outfitted the bike with a headlight/taillight combo that is pretty amazing. Tried it out last night and had no issues being spotted by vehicles. Most stopped to let me pass, whether at an intersection or vehicles backing out of parking spots. My son thinks that the drivers think it's a motorcycle coming towards them since the headlight is so bright. At $71, it was a little expensive, but it seems well worth it to me. Looks like the price on Amazon went up since last week. https://amzn.to/1CAlCts

I'm not breaking any speed records but I am sure having fun. Working up the courage to make the commitment to try commuting to work soon. Just have to plan things out. Like bringing extra clothes, lunches, etc. I'm off this week so I may try riding to work at the time I would need to one of these mornings.

Baby steps.
Old 07-15-15, 05:24 AM
Nikon shooter

Bikes: Scott CR1, Giant Roam 2, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Cypress

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds great and you're out there, which is the point. Would love to see a pic of the bike.
Old 07-15-15, 06:08 AM
NOLABIKER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nikon shooter
Sounds great and you're out there, which is the point. Would love to see a pic of the bike.
You asked. These are a few I took last week, before I mounted the headlight and taillight.

World's longest bridge over water in the background.

Cool little cemetery near the house.
Old 07-17-15, 06:03 AM
Nikon shooter

Bikes: Scott CR1, Giant Roam 2, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Cypress

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It looks great, and very comfortable. Keep us informed on how you like it as you get more and more miles on it.
Old 07-17-15, 09:56 AM
NOLABIKER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nikon shooter
It looks great, and very comfortable. Keep us informed on how you like it as you get more and more miles on it.
Thanks. It is real comfortable. Took it out for a 14.5 mile ride this morning. Wind was a little bad on the way back, but I managed. Thinking of heading to my bike shop in a bit to get some mini ape hangers added.

Old 07-17-15, 10:03 AM
EastCoastDHer

Bikes: 1998 Specialized FSR 26", 1998 Trek Wade Boots Team Issue 2 XXL 20", 2001 Cortina DH Extreme 8 26", 1999 Sinister DNA (work in progress) 26", 2001 LeMond Zurich (work in progress) 700c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOLABIKER
Eventually I would like to commute to work with it. It's only about 7 miles each way. Just too damn hot in Louisiana to tart that right now. The morning wouldn't be too bad since I would be leaving before the sun cam up. But that 5pm sun and humidity can be brutal. Looking around right now for a bag to attach to the rack. Wouldn't have to hold much, maybe a change of clothes and a towel or two. I hate riding with a backpack on, so if I can get away with a bag on the rack, that would be the way for me to go.
YEEAAHHHH BUDDYYYYYY!!!!
.....I'm excited for you. This is great! Wishing you nothing but the best here and elsewhere. Welcome to the bike family!
As far as a towel is concerned maybe get a chamois/sham wow type cloth? Great absorbing quality and a fraction of the weight and space. Just a thought. Happy riding!
Old 07-17-15, 10:07 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Great Pics...Happy safe miles.

Old 07-17-15, 10:19 AM
geehue

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, Rescued early 1990s Frankenbike (Univega frame; mix of found Centaur and Daytona parts); mid-1990s Casati, Linus Gaston

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the pics. Great bike. Looks like you are enjoying it ...
Old 07-17-15, 10:30 AM
Beic

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's a nice looking comfortable cruiser, looks like you could go for miles on one of them.

We have them imported from USA over here, but don't see that many, nice spec too. I could be tempted

Enjoy it.
Old 08-10-15, 11:57 AM
NOLABIKER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EastCoastDHer
YEEAAHHHH BUDDYYYYYY!!!!
.....I'm excited for you. This is great! Wishing you nothing but the best here and elsewhere. Welcome to the bike family!
As far as a towel is concerned maybe get a chamois/sham wow type cloth? Great absorbing quality and a fraction of the weight and space. Just a thought. Happy riding!
Didn't think of the Sham-Wow, may look into it.

Here's a couple of shot after I added the ape hangers. Rides great! Since buying the Townie on 6/27, I have put 260.4 miles on it.

Old 08-10-15, 01:37 PM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks like a fun ride! I have a feeling you'll go back to regular bars if you start doing longer rides. That's going to kill your shoulders.
Old 08-10-15, 01:46 PM
NOLABIKER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bassjones
That looks like a fun ride! I have a feeling you'll go back to regular bars if you start doing longer rides. That's going to kill your shoulders.
Did 22 miles out and back yesterday. Haven't had any issues with my arms or shoulders. I have them at an angle that leaves my arms bent somewhat so that they are not straight out.
Old 08-10-15, 04:58 PM
PatrickR400

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NOLABIKER
Didn't think of the Sham-Wow, may look into it.

Here's a couple of shot after I added the ape hangers. Rides great! Since buying the Townie on 6/27, I have put 260.4 miles on it.

That shot by the Covington Brewhouse was just because it was a convenient location, and the light was just so, right, right?
Old 08-10-15, 05:24 PM
NOLABIKER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickR400
That shot by the Covington Brewhouse was just because it was a convenient location, and the light was just so, right, right?
Sure, I'll go along with that. Just don't tell anyone that the shot was taken on a Sunday morning around 7:30.
Now I'll let you decide if I woke up that early in the morning or if I was out that late the night before.
Old 08-10-15, 06:13 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Heck, my bet is you were on your way to Mattina Bella's for pancakes at that hour. Worth waking up early on a Sunday with a hangover for that.
Old 08-10-15, 06:26 PM
NOLABIKER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadesfire
Heck, my bet is you were on your way to Mattina Bella's for pancakes at that hour. Worth waking up early on a Sunday with a hangover for that.

Never been there before. Menu looks decent.

Ever been to City Diner in Metairie? Get the short stack.
Old 08-10-15, 08:40 PM
lane_33

Bikes: 2015 Trek 8.3 DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, those are extremely high handlebars. But if they are comfortable, good for you. You seem happy, that's always nice