Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for information on a new frame

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-10, 10:35 PM
SomniumCycle

Bikes: 2000 Specialized Allex A1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was cleaning my bike after having it stored for the winter and noticed a small crack where the fork enters the frame. The fork is carbon and is still in great shape, as are all the other components.

I was hoping to replace just the frame and use all the same parts, including the fork. But, I just dont know where to start, how do I know what size frame will fit the fork, wheels, ect. I am having trouble finding a thread on the topic so any info, or links to a thread discussing this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is a small crack something that can be fixed and if so, is it worth it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-30-10, 11:49 PM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I don't know much about carbon fiber repairs. Craig Calfee does though.

As for sizing... most forks now a days are 1-1/8th inch as opposed to 1 inch forks. That measures the diameter I believe. You need an appropriate sized frame and headset. Road frames generally take 700c wheels except for some exceptions. Some older bikes take 27" wheels. Some small frames (under 50cm) may take 650c wheels.

Sheldon Brown is a good source. Along with Park Tool.

If there's nothing wrong with the frame and it fits fine, I wouldn't replace it. I would get the fork checked though. You wouldn't want a fork failure to happen while riding.

Also what kind of bike do you have. Do you have any pictures. We could help you out more.

EDIT: I thought the fork was the one cracked, not the frame. Regardless I'd get it checked out before riding. The LBS may be able to help you out.

Last edited by ptle; 03-31-10 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-30-10, 11:53 PM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Judging by your post, you don't sound like a person with the experience to be making judgments about the integrity of key structural components like frames and forks. Take it to a bike shop and get their opinion, then go from there. You may not need a frame at all. And If your frame truly is cracked, there is a some chance the mfg will replace it for free. If not, you might be better off buying a new bike. A lot more information is needed to advise you further.

- Mark
Old 03-31-10, 09:37 AM
SomniumCycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True true, I'm no professional. I found the problem pretty late last night and now I'm stuck at my desk until 5, but I do plan on bringing it into the shop tonight. I just figured that, in the interim, I would check here for some suggestions, kind of like a second opinion (that I got before the first opinion).

I will definitely get some photos posted tonight. Buying a new bike is not out of the question, I'm really open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks again.
Old 03-31-10, 09:57 AM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Which bike are we talking about? A crack in the head tube looks like pretty rare for me, where in the headtube? in the front or in the back?. Never seen a crank in there to tell you the truth, secondly it could not even been a crack, some giants for example were returned because of cracks and happened that were cracks in the paint job only and the frames were intact after sanding the cracked area.

I would call to the manufacturer 1st and if the frame is painted like a giant of a trek for example i would sand the paint off because paint cranks also. The other thing is that many times what u see outside is a layer of carbon to make the bike look good and is not the real carbon and is not doing a single besides working for the looking of the frame.

Hope your frame is still under warranty and if it is really a crack (i'm sure the store will tell you that is cracked, just like when u take the car to the dealer because of a brake pad and they call you telling you that the transmission is dead and needs to be replaced, just making a point) what u have to do is take your time choosing a good frame and look at the models for last year because they are still on sale.

Regarding the parts i would move them over to the new frame if they are ok, probably it is time for a non forced upgrade?

Thanks
Old 03-31-10, 10:03 AM
skol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
had this happen to a brand new Scott aluminum frame last year - seemed to a a issue they knew about as the headsets were installed incorrectly - sent me a new model year complete bike and let me swap some parts out - sent them the damaged bike back. IMO not something you want to even think about riding/fixing
Old 03-31-10, 10:30 AM
SomniumCycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a Specialized Allez Sport. The crack is in the front of the bike, where the fork enters.

https://www.danieljohngadd.com/johnny/bike.jpg

This picture is from last year, I'll snap a better photo when I get home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike.jpg (71.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 03-31-10, 10:32 AM
SomniumCycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skol
had this happen to a brand new Scott aluminum frame last year - seemed to a a issue they knew about as the headsets were installed incorrectly - sent me a new model year complete bike and let me swap some parts out - sent them the damaged bike back. IMO not something you want to even think about riding/fixing

The bike's nice, but I would rather be safe then cheap, I will probably end up buying something new in the next day or two. This is really how I felt when I found the crack, I would rather not chance it.