Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

For All Runners: Getting back INTO running?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-10, 09:31 AM
sabazel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I started on the bike right after I finished my marathon in March. Bought it because I was injured (sprained ankle) in January and all my friends said it would be a great way to stay in shape when I couldn't run.

I developed tendonitis in the top of my foot right after the marathon, so I haven't run since. Now I"m afraid I'm loving biking so much I may never run again!!

How do you get up the motivation to run after starting on the bike, and how long will it take me to re-establish my running base? I want to be doing about 20 miles a week heading into the fall, but I don't want to ride any less (I'm doing about 150 miles a week on the bike now).

Will something have to give?
Old 05-21-10, 09:33 AM
foresthill

Bikes: MTB: Stumpjumper FSR, Road: De Rosa King 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sabazel
How do you get up the motivation to run after starting on the bike, and how long will it take me to re-establish my running base?
You don't. or least I didn't.

Originally Posted by sabazel
Will something have to give?
Yeah. I've got serious time issues between biking and rock climbing. So far, climbing has been losing out pretty bad.
Old 05-21-10, 09:37 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
yeah sure, only if you are a masochist

you aerobic base is probably just fine. your muscular and skeletal strength, however, may be not up to par. when i was away from my bike for a week last winter, i ran. i couldn't get my HR down at all as my body didn't get that sort of pounding for a long time. so i'd say an easy 2 week transition, at least, with no more than five miles per outing
Old 05-21-10, 09:38 AM
skol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to sign up (spend money) for running races to get myself to run and it gives me instant motivation and a goal
Old 05-21-10, 09:39 AM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Don't do it. You'll go sterile.
Old 05-21-10, 09:49 AM
Quel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you did a marathon in March, I see no reason why you couldn't go run 20 mile weeks right now with zero problems. You could split that into 3-4 runs, and the 150 miles biking into 3-4 rides to get 7 workouts total for the week, or double up on some days morning/night.
Old 05-21-10, 09:52 AM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Find a hot running partner who's just a tad faster than you.
Old 05-21-10, 09:53 AM
opie

Bikes: 2012 Venge, 2011 Transition, Surly Troll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I"m trying to juggle it all right now. 20 miles a week running training for a 1/2 marathon in July and now getting about 100 miles per week on the bike and now I've started swimming 3 days a week also. Plus the wife likes some attention every now an then also. I've found that I've cut the TV and video games etc out completely. I normally get up in the mornings and run or swim and then ride the bike and workout in the afternoons. Makes for some busy days but makes the rest days that much more enjoyable. Start out slow with the running and build up again. Running is still my priority, I enjoy all of it but that comes first for me
Old 05-21-10, 09:56 AM
ibarunnin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think something has to give...Granted it all depends on the time you have during the day. I've been out for 6 months due to injury and I'm much more of a runner than a cyclist. Yet, I'm in the same boat with motivation...I've begun to really love cycling and it's so much easier to do since I'm not in shape while running. When I start up serious training (70-90 mpw) I still intend to be cycling at least 3-5 hrs as well. In terms of motivation, I think it's easiest just to run with no expectations. Just go out for time and enjoy the run. Eventually you will regain fitness and it'll be much less stressful when you are enjoying what you are doing rather than worrying about when you'll get back to where you left off.
Old 05-21-10, 10:01 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Running will eventually ruin your joints. I ran for decades and had to give it up because of rickety knees, and then got back into biking, which I loved as a kid.
Old 05-21-10, 10:15 AM
ibarunnin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you remain on soft surfaces it can be a big help. I'm young and naive but refuse to believe it's "bad" for your joints. Of course the impact can be more stressful compared to running, but any form of repetitive motion is prone to cause joint problems over time...it's not simply the impact that is the problem. In fact I have read studies which have identified running as being helpful to joints since it helps to keep them lubricated and pliable. If you are worried about cartilage degradation a Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplement is said to be extremely beneficial.
Old 05-21-10, 10:20 AM
powers2b
Listen to me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My coworker told me "Cycling is like running for lazy people".
He's a runner, I used to be until I discovered cycling.

Enjoy
Old 05-21-10, 10:50 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by powers2b
My coworker told me "Cycling is like running for lazy people".
He's a runner, I used to be until I discovered cycling.

Enjoy
yeah, and most runners don't climb 5mile long climbs with 7% averages. in fact, cycling is probably the only sport (other than mountaineering) in which we actively seek to climb up.

as for me, i'm planning on keeping a lean physique through cycling until 40's, then start running again. i'll probably have an easier time qualifying for NYC marathon and healthy joints to boot.

if you incorporate weight training, i'd think the joint issue may not be as serious
Old 05-21-10, 11:00 AM
ibarunnin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcjimbosandwich
if you incorporate weight training, i'd think the joint issue may not be as serious
Very true, as long as you have the strength (structurally speaking), it'll keep your joints safer.
Old 05-21-10, 11:07 AM
Deanoldo

Bikes: '05 Yeti 575, , 01 Cannondale SI1000, 03 Felt F65, 07 Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mostly hate running, but it's a great fitness bang for your time buck. The last few years have gone kind of like this: October, start training for the Febuary start of road racing. This means I run 4 times a week, usually during lunch. Then I ride the trainer at night and take long rides on the weekends. When late January rolls around, I stop running and focus just on riding. I don't run again until mid July. I then start running about 3 times a week for 3 miles. I do that for a couple weeks and then start increasing the mileage by a couple miles until I get to about 8 miles. It takes me about 3 weeks for my thighs and knees to get used to running again but I'm 46 and have had acl replacement surgery on both knees. At the end of August I run the Hood to Coast relay (my whole reason for running in the summer). Then I just noodle around running and riding until October when it all starts over again...

Dean
Old 05-21-10, 11:13 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

the one good thing about running is that you can do it year-round. when the snow piles up to 8 inches and the plow truck can't clear everything, that's when it becomes somewhat fun. then again, there are trainers and rollers.

oh, and i almost forgot, there are way more female runners than there are female cyclists, so that's gotta be a motivation of some sort
Old 05-21-10, 11:16 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by foresthill
You don't. or least I didn't.

Yeah. I've got serious time issues between biking and rock climbing. So far, climbing has been losing out pretty bad.
I finally got out from under my climbing gym membership. I miss it sometimes, but whenever we were at that gym I would have preferred to be out riding.
Old 05-21-10, 11:16 AM
Deanoldo

Bikes: '05 Yeti 575, , 01 Cannondale SI1000, 03 Felt F65, 07 Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcjimbosandwich
oh, and i almost forgot, there are way more female runners than there are female cyclists, so that's gotta be a motivation of some sort
Yeah, the last 10k I did there were 743 men and 1053 women.
Old 05-21-10, 12:07 PM
RoboCheme

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Before I was a cyclist, I was a casual runner. Now, I have to push myself hard to go running at lunch time. I still run because I'm old and I need the weight bearing exercise and I don't have time to ride much during the week especially during the winter.

Just go out there a take it easy; you'll be fine.
Old 05-21-10, 12:24 PM
JPH3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The way I did it was too sign up for a 1/2 marathon (4 weeks ago, after marathon in December). It keeps you motivated and gives you a reason to run.

But, now that I am not signed up for anything I am running 3-5 miles 3X a week. I just picked up cycling so its difficult to do both with limited time (i.e. work + spending time on BF instead of on the road running/cycling).
Old 05-21-10, 12:43 PM
opie

Bikes: 2012 Venge, 2011 Transition, Surly Troll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
Running will eventually ruin your joints. I ran for decades and had to give it up because of rickety knees, and then got back into biking, which I loved as a kid.
Not true. If you run correctly it will pose no threat to your joints (unless something else is wrong there). Humans are built to run long distances and IMO running shoes cause more injuries than they prevent but that's another topic for another day
Old 05-21-10, 01:59 PM
emayex
The Silver Hammer

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Specialized Hardrock, Lynskey Cooper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have more fun on the bike... but I still haven't been able to duplicate the "runner's high" on my bike.

I get in about 20-25 miles/week running, and 100-150 on the bike.

Most morning's I roll out of bed into my running shoes and knock off a few miles in the neighborhood before I even brush my teeth. Wakes me up... and I can squeeze it in to 30 mins. I ride in the evening when I can -- and then longer rides on the weekends.
Old 05-21-10, 03:32 PM
agarose2000

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Become a triathlete or duathlete and register for races in all disciplines. This will keep you motivated to get your butt moving on both disciplines.

I've been riding seriously now for 2 years now after coming from a serious marathon background. I'm not anything special on the bike compared to real competitive roadies, but I can hold my own against Cat3s. I still have to say that I find cycling way, way easier than running. Even on mountain climbs, which are pretty much 100% of my road bike rides.

There's no impact, you can draft, even if you bonk out, you can keep moving without pedaling by coasting, and the pounding is minimal. I can go out and do back-to-back long bike rides of 3-5 hrs no problem, but a single long run of 2.5 hrs will really put the hurt on your legs.