Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Recently purchased: Concorde Squadra

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-10, 04:56 PM
Hum3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey there. Long time reader, first time poster. I really dig these forums, so much information and dedication over here. Really inspiring!

Guess it's time to make a (slightly long) post… So here it is:

I recently got my hands on a Concorde Squadra. After quite some researching I discovered it's the PDM alternate red-anthracite version with Columbus TSX-tubing, Cinelli lugs, Campagnolo dropouts and a special headset from Ultech (Concorde-afilliated). It's a truly 'European' bike of the early 90's: Hand-built by CIOCC in Italy, then painted in Belgium and commissioned by (Dutch-based) Concorde - which makes it all the more special to me.

It looked quite used, but no signs of rust or dents, so I considered it a must-buy. (The second-hand speedbikes seller had put on cheap black pedals from a regular bicycle, gleefully boasting "I put these completely new ones on it, you know!" Yeah, man. I know.)

Anyway, took it home for 235 euro. It came with:

- Campagnolo Super Record (last generation) derrailleurs, brake calipers and crankset (with the 'lasered' logo and marked 'Strada 22'?)
- Simplex Retrofriction shifters and Campa 'Aero' seatpost (C-Record version, I think - the one without the logo and only 'Made in Italy' inscribed?)
- Mavic 500RD hubs and Open4CD clinchers, Sachs Maillard 'Aris '91' freewheel and Sachs Sedis Silver chain
- And a slightly damaged custom 'Concorde' Selle San Marco Laser sadddle in matching colors to boot.

The cockpit was a strange Japanese affair: a Nitto ADB-X handlebar with Sakae SR-stem and cheap-looking Dia Compe-levers. That annoyed me (and also didn't ride well at all). So I replaced it with a nice pair of first generation C-record brake levers plus hoods (which cost me 30 euro), a Cinelli Criterium 65 handlebar (NOS for 30 euro) plus matching XA stem (3 euro!). (Oh, and a fresh Deda tape with some old Cinelli-plugs.)

It's been a blast discovering all the backstory thus far. Hope it's now as true to its roots as can be. It still needs two touch ups under the headtube, because the paint has been damaged there (as a result of being mounted on the wall with two bad hooks is my guess) - which is a bit of a shame. Also, it has a Shimano Dura Ace Bottom Bracket, I think, which I'm pondering to change in due time for something Italian.

But it'll definitely be my main bike - it rides really well and it's my ideal size (56 c/c) - so quite thrilled to have found this!

All in all a good deal for a total sum of 300 euro, I think… Your thoughts?

Old 12-09-10, 04:59 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
I want the saddle..

Old 12-09-10, 05:22 PM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sharp looking bike. And yeah, I too want the saddle...
Old 12-09-10, 06:18 PM
jebensch

Bikes: Bob Jackson Super Tourer, '83 Trek 700, Gazelle Champ Mondial, Nishiki Comp II, Moto Grand Record, Peugeot UO-10 SS

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Spectacular! How about some more detailed pics of that paint. Looks great!
Old 12-09-10, 06:24 PM
Hum3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanx people, didn't think that saddle would be so wildly populair

It has a small tear in the fabric though, don't know how much longer it will last. Guess I have to look into it.

More pics will follow soon I hope, bad weather over here...
Old 12-09-10, 06:29 PM
vjp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Disco Stu wants his saddle back!

It looks great, I've never seen that color combo and it is crazy, but that saddle totally works with the bike. Get some GP4's and fat tubulars and you'll be ready for the spring classics!

vjp
Old 12-09-10, 07:28 PM
BentLink

Bikes: '86 Cannondale SR400, '86 Pugeot PX10, '92 Bianchi Axis, '95 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, '00 Fondriest X-Status, '08 Specialized Roubaix, '13 Cannondale CAADX

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Gorgeous bike, hideous saddle.
Old 12-09-10, 11:42 PM
champion city

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome! Don't let anyone convince you to ditch the saddle - garish Italian bikes deserve garish Italian saddles.
Old 12-10-10, 04:33 AM
Elev12k

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts
Very nice Squadra. Enjoy it. I do have a Squadra too. In PDM finishing. Mine says 'SL' in steerer and under bracket. I have also seen catalogues making mention of SLX ...and I had one. I looks like Squadra does not necessarely mean TSX. Probably dependent of year. I would think my frame is ca '88.
Old 12-10-10, 04:36 AM
Elev12k

Squadra in catalogue, possibly '89:

Full catalogue on Retrobike >> https://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/vie...light=concorde
Old 12-10-10, 08:35 AM
shrinkboy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
my thoughts are that is one great looking, and i'm sure a great riding bicycle...
Old 12-10-10, 08:42 AM
old_dreams

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
A Squadra very like this catalog one with full C-record sold for Euro 387 earlier this year. Due to a stupendous cockup on my part I failed to get my bid in. The buyer subsequently parted it out on ebay. Oh the pain! I had to buy myself 2 Italian beauties just to get over the trauma.

Always like looking at Concordes especially since Sean Kelly used to ride one.

Nice bike Hum3. Chrome looks in great condition. You did well too in picking up C-Record levers + hoods for 30 euro. Hoods alone often go for more than that.
Old 12-10-10, 08:44 AM
junkfoodjunkie
@$#!?&!!$

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice looking bike!

Jake
Old 12-10-10, 08:47 AM
old_dreams

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
There is also a "Show me your Concorde" thread here somewhere. Worth posting in that.
Old 12-10-10, 06:19 PM
Hum3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanx guys for all the nice words and info!

@Elev12k: Thank you in particular, I already knew about the different types of tubing etc, courtesy of lurking around your great posts already You've got a mighty fine looking Squadra, which was a real inspiration I might add.

I think it's TSX, based on the brochure of '93 which features the (slightly below Squadra?) Aquila's as TSX. My Squadra has a 'World Champions 90'-decal which leads my to conclude it's either a '91 or '92 version. Also I've seen a TSX-version in black and white online with that same decal. My bike has the older Campa Super Record-parts though, which is a bit odd - though you won't hear me complain of course!

The most certain way to find out is to have a look into the bottom of the frame I guess... May do that when I'm a bit more 'handy' - seeing as I'm basically pretty new when it comes to restoring your own bike etc.

Will post more pics soon.
Old 12-11-10, 04:34 AM
Elev12k

With my Concorde the tubing type is stamped in steerer and bracket shell. The steerer could only be viewed when you take the fork out, but the mentioning in the shell sits fortunately on the outside under the shell. Next to the spoiler.