Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Is mountain biking on the decline this decade?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Is mountain biking on the decline this decade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 11:43 PM
plasticmaam12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ddac
Where did I ask about servicing the fork? But thanks for the linky. I'll save it for future use.

Dude, or Dudette, you edit your posts so frequently that I have stopped paying attention to you. Go back to Fixie forums. I don't care for your broke-I'm-trying-to-feed-a-family-BS. I have earned exactly $0 this year, but I don't feel that it's necessary to whine about it. I make do with what I have and I improvise when needed. You are a cry-baby.
Old 08-11-09, 11:55 PM
plasticmaam12

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yet, it's ironic how you have to tell the world you made $0 this year? And you're calling me a cry baby? Who's whining now?
You spelled winning wrong. Feel free to edit.
Old 08-12-09, 12:02 AM
scrublover
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Bikes: hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metzinger
Mountain biking has been in a state of decline ever since riders discovered vehicle shuttles and lift-assisted descents.
Mountain bikes will all eventually be little more than non-motorized MX machines.
I blame Red Bull.
Wow. What a particularly clueless response.

Originally Posted by Commodus
Go to mtbr.com.
Yes. Far more breadth of technical knowledge over there, purely as there is a larger number of mtb specific folks making up the brain trust. Several other online forums will (usually) get you more/better/faster/more correct mtb specific info than BF will, purely because of said brain trust.

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Awesome first post! Welcome to Bike Forums!!
Yeah, sure, you're being tongue-in-cheek there, but c'mon. See above.
Old 08-12-09, 12:14 AM
scrublover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MTB vs. road bike sales fluctuate from year to year. I'd hardly say mtb is in any sort of decline, at the very worst case it's staying static.

The important question is can you trackstand on your mtb?
Old 08-12-09, 12:18 AM
plasticmaam12

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
dickdack, I'm not going to argue with your assertion that making no money sucks. I already know that. I just haven't let it bring me down. Get over it.
Old 08-12-09, 12:33 AM
scrublover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride the damn bike to your hearts content. Don't sanitize the trails. Go through, not around wet/muddy spots. When something on the bike breaks, replace with something newer/nicer/whatever. Ride it until it dies. It's a capable bike, it just has the potential to become a money pit vs. buying a newer bike if you aren't careful. Be respectful of other trail users.

It ain't rocket surgery folks.
Old 08-12-09, 12:46 AM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Those mtb dudes cant decide if they want 26 inch wheels, 29 in the front and 26 at the back (looks like a hyena) or 29 or round.

Having said that, I'd like to get another MTB. Try forums.mtbr.com.
Old 08-12-09, 01:01 AM
scrublover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mtb has fewer hard and fast "rules" about fit and sizing because of so many differing trail types and riding style/types/marketing categories.

hmmm. road can be sketchy as well. riding in a tight pack or line at high speed? all it takes is one person to screw up and take down the whole group, or a large portion.

IMO, you're getting all hung up for no reason on the semantics of things. they are just bikes, man. ride what you like, how you like.

for info, there are a crapload of various sites out there devoted to all aspects of mtb fit/fashion/culture/racing/and just plain riding. some get just as geeky and techy if not more so than many road specific forum. go check out some suspension design and performance tweaking stuff. and there are many, many variations on geometry - tons of info to geek out with in that area as well.

IMO, mountain biking is so technical & requires a crap load of skills (compared to riding a road bike).

Being such a technical "sport" I would've thought there would be many threads on bike fit & bike sizing.

But it doesn't even come close with the anal guys in the roadie forum. They think you'll die if you buy a bike 2cm smaller or larger than the "ideal" size.

Where as in mountain bikes, bike sizing seems so lenient.

I was going to start a new thread asking about bike position (KOPS, hand, elbow, back angles, etc.)....but didn't want to get everyone pissed off.

I think I have an idea of the responses....it'll be something like this: "you moron, you don't sit down when you ride on a trail, you're off the saddle most of the time and you're making body adjustments on the fly".

Yea yea yea....I know. But.....how about when I'm sitting on the saddle riding on the road to trails?
Old 08-12-09, 01:15 AM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
Buying an old Stumpy instead of a new or newer Hardrock was probably a good move. The comment about an M2 being better than anything new under 4 figures is just plain incorrect. As an example, the new Rockhopper is an M4 and under four figures. (Duh!)
Obtaining info on BF to restore an old bike is no problem. The problem is, your bike is not old enough. The C&V forum will help anyone restoring an old bike, but an M2 is just not considered old. Maybe a steel Stumpy might make it.
The only M2 that came with that fork I'm familiar with was all XT/XTR. If that's the case here, you're better off with old top-shelf stuff than new mid or low grade.

Maybe that's not this bike, there aren't a whole lot of details here.
Old 08-12-09, 02:36 AM
scrublover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's weird. My stumpjumper came with an XTR RD, but with LX shifter & FD. I guess they aren't OEM and were replaced. The RD is a little beat up as you can see here. It was also hitting the spokes when I first brought the bike home.
The only reason why I got this bike over a brand new Hardrock or Rockhopper is because of the reviews I found here. It was tough to say no to a bike with such great reviews.
not weird at all. up-speccing the rear and a few other parts while leaving the other stuff at a lower level is very common for OEM spec with bike companies. "ooh, shiny! it's got xtr in the back!" yeah, but lx or whatever sort of house brand stuff elsewhere. "yeah, but it's got xtr in the back!"

what you've got there is a nice retro ride, and it was a nice mid-level ride back in the day, but it wasn't and isn't anything particularly spectacular.

again, ride it until things die, then replace as needed.
Old 08-12-09, 05:12 AM
Duce97

Bikes: Mongoose Snare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's weird. My stumpjumper came with an XTR RD, but with LX shifter & FD. I guess they aren't OEM and were replaced. The RD is a little beat up as you can see here. It was also hitting the spokes when I first brought the bike home.

The only reason why I got this bike over a brand new Hardrock or Rockhopper is because of the reviews I found here. It was tough to say no to a bike with such great reviews.
https://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/bike-h...217_96crx.aspx

The newest review on that bike is 7 years old, 7 years ago it was a nice bike. The xtr components on it are like shimano alivo parts now. Your going to spend enough fixing it up to the point where you could have just bought a new one. Thats why most people dont even bother. Ive done it a couple time myself just for the joy of fixing up an older bike and taking it to the trails and seeing the respones of some of the other riders. Its like pulling into a parking lot of cars with a fixed up classic car. People go nuts over them , atleast thats the response ive gotten on the two bikes ive fixed up. When it comes down to it , if you like the bike and have fun on the bike who really cares what anyone thinks.
Old 08-12-09, 06:03 AM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What you're missing are the Sex in the City types. Can't say "all walks of life" if you don't include the sex in the city types.
Sidi Bullet, FiveTen Impact, and Shimano M121W. And that's just mountain shoes. Plus my bike is just the right size and stiffness to be a great ride. There you go...Sex and the City type. I'm just a regular Carrie Bradshaw.
Old 08-12-09, 09:09 AM
mcoine

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See....that goes to show how much of a newbie I am to mtn bikes. In the roadie world, I would, without a doubt in my mind, purchase a bike with 11 year old 9 speed DuraAce components (aka XTR of roadies) over to a 2009 9 speed Sora (Alivio/Altus level) equipped bike. And I'm making this claim with 10 (and even 11 speed) drivetrains available in the roadie world

I had a Ultegra 9 speed back in the days (equivalent to XT) and I can tell you that it shifts MUCH better than the 9 speed Sora or Tiagra you see today.

I guess things are different in the mtn bike world. I am still pretty amazed that 9 spd XTR/XT are about equivalent to 8 speed Alivio stuff on today's bike.

No.. you were correct. 10 year old xtr is still better quality than modern alivio..
Old 08-12-09, 09:39 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12871 Post(s)
Liked 7,794 Times in 4,134 Posts
Originally Posted by Duce97
The xtr components on it are like shimano alivo parts now.
That's wack!
Old 08-12-09, 10:02 AM
Duce97

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcoine
No.. you were correct. 10 year old xtr is still better quality than modern alivio..

Really ? take them apart..the spring tension on the two is almost identical.
Old 08-12-09, 11:19 AM
mcoine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
almost identical.
What does this even mean?

Have you measured the spring tension on both?

Is spring tension the only measure of quality you consider with a rear der.?

hilarious..
Old 08-12-09, 03:34 PM
Duce97

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcoine
What does this even mean?

Have you measured the spring tension on both?

Is spring tension the only measure of quality you consider with a rear der.?

hilarious..

Yes i have , try it if ya dont belive me and the spring is just about everything in a rear derailleur when it comes to changing the gears . Look at that derailleur in his picture , it doesnt even come close to mathcing the xtr stuff on todays bikes ...now compare it to the low end stuff of today...amazing people cant figure this out....hilarious...
Old 08-12-09, 03:44 PM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh snap! This thread rocks hard!
Old 08-12-09, 05:46 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12871 Post(s)
Liked 7,794 Times in 4,134 Posts
You got any old, OK condition rear derailers? I'll trade new Alivio for xt/xtr or Acera for Deore/LX
Old 08-12-09, 05:53 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 902 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh snap! This thread rocks hard!
shhhh. You are interrupting!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-12-09, 06:04 PM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
shhhh. You are interrupting!
.....and your point is????
Old 08-12-09, 06:50 PM
Svr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where did I ask about servicing the fork? But thanks for the linky. I'll save it for future use.
You started an entire thread about it: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=571017

What should I look for when looking at the front suspension? Any way to test it?
Does that ring a bell?
Old 08-12-09, 07:00 PM
Svr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I get what you're saying --- that a ten year old ragged out XTR rear derailleur probably performs on the same level as a new Alivio component. But you're flawed in thinking that the M950/951 group can hold a candle to any of the lower Shimano groups today. That generation of XTR put an entire cottage industry of CNC MTB components out of business. Seen any Grafton brake levers or cranks lately?
Old 08-12-09, 07:06 PM
Face-Plant

Bikes: Surly - LHT, Stumpjumper FSR Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

But some of you seem to think a 90s Stumpy isn't a good bike compared to the technology we have today. So.....I guess with an inferior bike (and the lack of skills), I should re-arrange some of the rocks on the trail? If I move them to make the trail easier, should I place the rocks back in place after I'm done?

Someone please school me on trail riding etiquette.

Nice !!
Old 08-12-09, 07:30 PM
Face-Plant

Bikes: Surly - LHT, Stumpjumper FSR Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a reason fixed gear riders are often labeled as hipsters. Most FG riders ride in a city environment. Most cities are relatively flat (which allows riding SS or FG). I think the environment dictates the type of bikes ridden.
I don't have the energy to get to in depth on this, but what I will say is that we have this 44 year old that rides with us on our Wednesday night rides, and he uses a SS/FG MTB. We live 16 mil. south of Mt. Mitchell the highest part of the U.S. East of the Mississippi at a elevation of 6,684 feet. We start out at 2,700 feet and climb to 3,419 feet on most rides, and he rocks on that bike.. SS/FG are not just for the city cat's...

Also in the newest issue of Mountain Bike titled "New Trails In Impossible Places [Mt. Tam, NYC, Chicago] cat's are building trails in the city to rid on, very cool !!! So there again MTB'ing is not just rural or suburban people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.