Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Apartment Living with Bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-17, 07:28 PM
EricL
DLifer

Bikes: Trek 2.1, Surly LHT, GT Sensor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm about to be forced to move out of my nice house that has a shed where I keep my bikes. Been looking at houses/duplexes because I don't want someone above me but also because they tend to have more storage options than apartments. But apartments are obviously cheaper. I have 2 bikes that I ride frequently (commuting and training/recreation) and can't imagine keeping them both in an apartment all the time because of the small space and the potential mess. The 3rd bike I will probably store with a friend until I can get a more permanent situation.
So I'm curious - anyone with more than one bike that lives in an apartment? Where do you keep them? Did you seek out a complex that has storage available? I'm in Denver looking for a 1 bedroom place. Suppose if I had 2 bedrooms I could keep the bikes in there.
Old 01-07-17, 07:58 PM
Cyril 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EricL
I'm about to be forced to move out of my nice house that has a shed where I keep my bikes. Been looking at houses/duplexes because I don't want someone above me but also because they tend to have more storage options than apartments. But apartments are obviously cheaper. I have 2 bikes that I ride frequently (commuting and training/recreation) and can't imagine keeping them both in an apartment all the time because of the small space and the potential mess. The 3rd bike I will probably store with a friend until I can get a more permanent situation.
So I'm curious - anyone with more than one bike that lives in an apartment? Where do you keep them? Did you seek out a complex that has storage available? I'm in Denver looking for a 1 bedroom place. Suppose if I had 2 bedrooms I could keep the bikes in there.
Really? If the apartment you find is so small that you can't find space for your two bicycles, ditch your couch. Priorities.
Old 01-07-17, 08:29 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Delta and Racor make two bike "gravity" racks that lean against the wall and hold the bikes on arms. Have used both, not sure one is really more effective than the other. While both are "free standing", suggest if possible an holding hook at the very top. Also put a piece of old carpet or some type of mat on the floor underneath for floor protection and helps keep rack base in place. The rack will fit in many hallways or against wall behind sofa or chairs. One studio apt I had for a while had a huge closet area, rack fit and bikes fit in fine- hanging clothes I put on the coat rack.

Last edited by martianone; 01-07-17 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-07-17, 08:48 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I hang my road bike on a bicycle hook screwed into the closet ceiling in the entrance to my basement suite.
My commuter, or city bike is in the yard. Should it need to come in, in the wet or snow I would set it on 2 boot matts in the entrance.
And my Touring bike is in my Stationary trainer (Hamster Wheel I call it) to watch videos on.

Last edited by Snuts; 01-07-17 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-07-17, 09:36 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I have an L-shaped hallway, where I keep four bikes. There isn't room there for furniture, so the bikes are taking up spcae which would otherwise be unused.
Old 01-07-17, 09:46 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
When I lived in the 3rd floor apartment... I had a storage unit in the hallway. Often the bike stayed there. Sometimes in was leaned against the wall in the kitchen (behind the table). If I'd had two bikes... one would have always been in each location.

Now-a-days they have those two bike racks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
21GFE6gn37L._AC_US174_.jpg (2.4 KB, 261 views)
Old 01-07-17, 09:51 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I lived in a 2-bedroom apartment for 13 years ... and kept my 7 bicycle (including 1 tandem) in the second bedroom.

Well, actually ... I had one bicycle on the trainer in the living room, and one bicycle in the hall ready to go out the door, and the other 5 were in the second bedroom.

I bought a loft bed (like a bunk bed without the bottom bunk, and they lived under there.
Old 01-07-17, 10:01 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5874 Post(s)
Liked 2,721 Times in 1,519 Posts
New Yorkers have long been squeezing bicycles into small apartments. Besides the various hooks and rack described above, they use alcoves, nooks, the ceiling over the entranceway (if it's high enough), mounting on what's essentially a rain gutter high along a hallway, and leaning out to clear the pedal and handlebars above head height, and god knows how many creative solutions.

One fairly common approach to maximize usable square footage is to raise the bed on a platform as close to the ceiling as acceptable (loft bed), and close off the space below as a bike/stuff storage closet, or even work area.

BTW - you're worried about 2 bikes in a 1 bedroom apartment. Around here 3-4 bikes into a (small) studio apartment isn't rare at all.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-07-17 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-07-17, 10:04 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
how about a bicycle tree? two bikes take up the floorspace of one

Old 01-07-17, 10:07 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Eric first of all read rule # 1 then #4 and you must follow #12 .Velominati ? The Rules
Old 01-08-17, 06:03 AM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bulldog1935
how about a bicycle tree? two bikes take up the floorspace of one

Nice ! Wish I had known of this before I got the Delta or Racor.
Old 01-08-17, 07:43 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
When I lived in a 1 bedroom apartment, I kept my commuter on the balcony and my second in the bedroom. I don't like bikes in my house but sometimes there isn't much of a choice.
Old 01-08-17, 08:06 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,686 Times in 830 Posts
I don't need it or do it, but I always thought hanging the bike vertically against the wall with a lipped rubbermaid-sytle mat below it was space efficient, and help prevent a mess. I also like the idea of lofting the bed and parking the bikes under it.
Old 01-08-17, 08:26 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I live in a condo (glorified apt) and I'm in the same boat. It's forced me to keep my bikes down to 2 road bikes and one mtn bike - and my wife's bike. Hoping for a better situation at some point in the future. It's tough because you're always shuffling bikes around and it feels cramped.
Old 01-08-17, 08:38 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Timely post for me. My wife and I have / are considering moving closer to town and into an Apt. The bike storage thing is definitley an issue but it would be so nice to be able to bike in town and be able to pedal to the va capitol trail. Right now everytime we go for a good ride we have to put on the bike carrier, put on the bikes and drive 30 minutes or so before we can start. The thought of living in a 2nd or 3rd floor apt to me just seems like it would be a nusiance.
Old 01-08-17, 09:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18483 Post(s)
Liked 15,778 Times in 7,407 Posts
See #5 above. Whenever I went apartment hunting the first thing I thought about when I went to see places was "Where might I stash my bikes inside the unit."
Old 01-08-17, 09:31 AM
Texico

Bikes: 2016 Gunnar Roadie, 2010 Cannondale RZ140 4, 2014 Raleigh Tamland 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
See #5 above. Whenever I went apartment hunting the first thing I thought about when I went to see places was "Where might I stash my bikes inside the unit."
My last apartment hunting experience was a little over a year ago when my girlfriend and I were moving in together. We got a 2 bed/1 bath and use the spare bedroom as the office/gear room. I have two feedback sports velocolumns which I use for bike storage.

The hard part was finding an apartment I could keep my 12ft kayak in. They don't design apartments for storage of large things.
Old 01-08-17, 10:01 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Any apartment should have a wall space for a rack. I got this in October for $70 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Product.../dp/B0176RB2JM

Old 01-08-17, 10:13 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Old 01-08-17, 10:56 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Rule #96: Your bikes must look better than your furniture.
Old 01-08-17, 11:08 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I had four bikes with a work stand and area, plus a full 8' home bar area and kegerator in my apartment living room. Apartments don't have to be small.

There were others in my complex which had outdoor sheds.
Old 01-08-17, 12:17 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1837 Post(s)
Liked 1,711 Times in 987 Posts
Look for wasted space. I have a little alcove just inside my front door that measures 40" wide by 2' deep. Almost looks as if there should be a closet there. I built a shelf across it high enough from the ground so that I can hang 2 bikes under the shelf. I also gained storage space for all kinds of stuff on the shelf. By hanging the bikes in opposite directions I can hang them much closer together than if they were hung facing the same way. So, 2 bikes n a space 40" x 2' plus a ton of shelf space
Old 01-08-17, 12:23 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
2 bedroom apartment and I have 5 bikes in here, 1 stored in the 2nd bedroom. 2 on the wall on a gravity rack which I despise. The other 2 are on plastic mats that I use for wet/snowy bikes. It can be done, you just have to want to do it. And I gave up my small kitchen table for the extra space. Never used the table, always use the bikes. Made total sense.
Old 01-08-17, 12:23 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by EricL
Did it for years... back before I bought a house... the key is looking at your rooms and realizing that you really only use the bedroom for sleeping at night... so park a bike or two in there for daytime storage.

This is exactly what my son does now... in his tiny two bedroom college apartment... has his bikes parked in the bedroom... doesn't bother his sleep at all.
Old 01-08-17, 12:25 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Rule #96: Your bikes must look better than your furniture.
Bikes as "ART."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.