Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mohawk Industrial Tricycle????

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-14, 07:39 AM
BIGDCYCLES
Gravel Junkie

Bikes: GT type CX, FUJI Sandblaster Drop Bar conversion, Kink Williams BMX, Framed Defendant Pro 22" BMX, Custom Klunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Anyone know anything about Mohawk Industrial Tricycles? I picked one up and am trying to figure out what components it should have. Rear axle, brakes, rear wheels? This thing must be a rare bird because internet searches have turned up next to nothing.
Old 09-25-17, 04:59 PM
cuzzincarl

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I worked for Mohawk Cycles in the early 80's. The trikes we built had a 7/8" cold roll solid rear axle. Threaded on each end. The 200 and 300 models had 3 pillow block bearings supporting the axle, the 100 had only 2. The rear wheel hubs were welded together in house. There was a drive wheel that was threaded onto the axle and a coaster with ball bearings on the other side. The hubs were made with a short piece of tubing, maybe 2 1/2" OD, welded to 2 spoke washers. the coaster wheels then had flanged ball bearings pressed in. The drive hubs had a washer welded in one side and a round nut in the other. The drive side of the axle was threaded about twice as far as the coaster side to allow the drive hub nut to screw on and still have room for the lock nut on the end. The 100's and the 300's had 20" wheels on the rear and the 200's had, I believe, 24". The Brakes on all the trikes we built were coaster. I think the was an option for a caliper on the front wheel. A stamped steel sprocket was welded to the body of a standard rear coaster hub. We built a few with 2 speed coaster brake hubs. This welded sprocket drove the sprocket welded to the rear axle. All the wheels we used were hand lased and trued by mostly housewives working from home. I believe the company was bought by a wheel manufacturer out of Mississippi. I don't know about rare, seemed like we made a awful lot of them. The biggest customer at that time was Lockheed aircraft, out of Georgia. I remember a few being shipped to an oilfield in the middle east. I'm not a regular here, in fact I only joined to answer your question. Ran across your question looking for something else. Since I already opened my big mouth, I'll check back for a short while in case you need more details or something else.
Likes For cuzzincarl:
Old 06-30-18, 03:08 PM
Peggyd

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mohawk industrial bikes

I recently came upon a pamphlet of Mohawk industrial bikes... my grandfather owned the business for a period of time. There is a model 100 with basket, mode 100 basic, model 200 with cabinet, model 200 basic,model 300 basic, model 300 with cabinet. It comes with pictures and descriptions. Let me know if you are still interested.
Peggy

Originally Posted by BIGDCYCLES
Anyone know anything about Mohawk Industrial Tricycles? I picked one up and am trying to figure out what components it should have. Rear axle, brakes, rear wheels? This thing must be a rare bird because internet searches have turned up next to nothing.
Old 06-30-18, 03:14 PM
Peggyd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mohawk industrial bikes... franchise?

Hi,
I read you use to work for this company, was it a franchise? Trying to find more info. My grandfather owned it at one time in Arlington, TN. Same company? Do you recall the owners name?
Thank you,
Peggy

Originally Posted by cuzzincarl
I worked for Mohawk Cycles in the early 80's. The trikes we built had a 7/8" cold roll solid rear axle. Threaded on each end. The 200 and 300 models had 3 pillow block bearings supporting the axle, the 100 had only 2. The rear wheel hubs were welded together in house. There was a drive wheel that was threaded onto the axle and a coaster with ball bearings on the other side. The hubs were made with a short piece of tubing, maybe 2 1/2" OD, welded to 2 spoke washers. the coaster wheels then had flanged ball bearings pressed in. The drive hubs had a washer welded in one side and a round nut in the other. The drive side of the axle was threaded about twice as far as the coaster side to allow the drive hub nut to screw on and still have room for the lock nut on the end. The 100's and the 300's had 20" wheels on the rear and the 200's had, I believe, 24". The Brakes on all the trikes we built were coaster. I think the was an option for a caliper on the front wheel. A stamped steel sprocket was welded to the body of a standard rear coaster hub. We built a few with 2 speed coaster brake hubs. This welded sprocket drove the sprocket welded to the rear axle. All the wheels we used were hand lased and trued by mostly housewives working from home. I believe the company was bought by a wheel manufacturer out of Mississippi. I don't know about rare, seemed like we made a awful lot of them. The biggest customer at that time was Lockheed aircraft, out of Georgia. I remember a few being shipped to an oilfield in the middle east. I'm not a regular here, in fact I only joined to answer your question. Ran across your question looking for something else. Since I already opened my big mouth, I'll check back for a short while in case you need more details or something else.
Old 07-29-20, 04:03 PM
Rachelle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Orange Mohawk Industrial Tricycle

Hello! We have a Mohawk industrial tricycle.
It has a label:
MOHAWK
Mohawk Cycle
Memphis, TN

Our bike is orange, has the metal cabinet (with “Maintenance” painted on it), and is in decent condition. We are so curious about the history of this bike. It was in my fiancé’s garage! I have not been successful in finding one like it in any online searches.
Old 07-30-20, 08:25 AM
richardwilson

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do share the pics too
Old 01-30-21, 02:12 AM
Trubluoval

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mohawk rebuild

Hi. I am rebuilding a Mohawk tricycle. I bought the trike for $50. The drive wheel was trashed. I have been looking for one since. I work restore worksman trikes all the time. I've done 12 or so. I know I can convert the rear to a worksman setup but I'd like to keep it original if possible. Anyone have or have a lead on the mags rims that came with the Mohawk? Thanks in advance for any help.