Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Most Stupid Thing You've Ever Done Preparing for or During a Bike Ride?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Most Stupid Thing You've Ever Done Preparing for or During a Bike Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-15, 07:39 AM
bengreen79
Allez means go.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was in a 90 mile race/ride and I somehow got myself into a fast group during the first half. I found it really difficult to drink and ride in that fast group so I didn't drink enough. I got off at a rest stop at about the 46th mile and started to cramp up. The second 44 miles were a lot tougher...lots of cramping, stopping, stretching, repeat. Lesson learned: start in a slower group...
Old 08-23-15, 07:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,563 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by bikepro
Laying my helmet on a Fire Ant mound, then putting it back on -- immediate reaction.
Heh. I was touring in MT last year. Stopped along the side of a road to take off my leg warmers and top base layer. Pulled the bibs back up and put the jersey back on. Started feeling little "stings." Realized I had sat on the opening to some sort of any colony. They were not happy. Neither was I.
Old 08-23-15, 09:26 AM
RomeoTango

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did the Hincapie GF last year, and it was my first "big" ride. Not to mention it's a grueling, hilly course. I forgot that I had my Garmin set to pause the time whenever I stopped. I stopped at each water station thinking I was well within my allotted time, not realizing the time I was reading was actual riding time versus total event time. Missed the last time hack (for the third big hill) on the long course by five minutes. Got redirected back to the start for only 50 miles total.
Old 08-23-15, 10:08 AM
IcySmooth52

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did the maiden voyage of trying an SMP saddle on a fast group ride.
Old 08-23-15, 11:30 AM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got to a race the Saturday of the wrong week at 6:00am..
Old 08-23-15, 03:57 PM
JHaldane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I bonked so badly I simply fell over in the road and fell asleep. Luckily, no cars came while I slept. Even luckier, some kind soul set a banana on me, which I ate the moment I woke up.
I have this image in my head of a guy lying on the side of the road sleeping while his feet are still clipped in and a banana strategically placed on him almost mocking him... it would quite possibly be the funniest thing to see.

I was just starting to get into mountain biking and had been riding for about 4 months. I decided to sign up for a novice level bike race that was suppose to be about 6 miles. I figured with such a short race and that I knew the course like the back of my hand I had left most of the stuff out of my camelback... On the day of the race they decided to change the course layout and ended up being about 9 miles. Not a single person knew the route, including half of the guys working the race. I was in the lead and got my first flat tire. Needless to say, it was a long walk back to the park.

Guess that'll teach me to be prepared.
Descending a hill with a flat front tire is kinda sketch...
Attached Images
Old 08-23-15, 06:32 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
I was riding and noticed that my mirror was a little out of the end of the bar, so I hit it back in. It went in and I nearly went down! Lucky I was not going very fast, and did not hit it very hard.
Old 08-24-15, 04:34 AM
Lord_Stark

Bikes: Trek Emonda S5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
went on my first 80 km ride with a decent climb and thought it is a good idea to do an easy run for 50 min the day before with my sister (I dind't went running for a longer time cause of an injury)

so I ended up doing the 80km with bad muscle acking (right word??) (Muscle aching = Muskelkater in German )

Last edited by Lord_Stark; 08-24-15 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-24-15, 12:27 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mawashi
Didn't happen to me but one of my friends drove 50km to ride, showed up and was so proud to show off his new road bike hard case, opened it only to find out he left the wheels back home... another friend laughed so hard he fell backwards off his bike and broke his arm...

I'll never forget that morning ever lol!
Well, did he get to borrow his friend's wheels?

GH
Old 08-24-15, 12:41 PM
unabowler

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One Saturday within the last year I prepared everything I needed, put it in my car and drove out to where I was starting. I remembered to bring everything, except my bike. When I do stuff like that I take it as a sign that I need a break.
Old 08-24-15, 12:56 PM
RoderWrench

Bikes: Cannondale Slate and the rest don't matter anymore.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bengreen79
I was in a 90 mile race/ride and I somehow got myself into a fast group during the first half. I found it really difficult to drink and ride in that fast group so I didn't drink enough. I got off at a rest stop at about the 46th mile and started to cramp up. The second 44 miles were a lot tougher...lots of cramping, stopping, stretching, repeat. Lesson learned: start in a slower group...
Was that Race the Lake? The second half was tough this year....heat, hills and headwind.
Old 08-24-15, 08:22 PM
bengreen79
Allez means go.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RoderWrench
Was that Race the Lake? The second half was tough this year....heat, hills and headwind.
Yes, I did it back in 2011. I used to live in Fond du Lac. I moved away in 2012 and haven't done Race the Lake since...I'm glad I did it but I would rather go on a long ride with a few friends.
Old 08-25-15, 09:16 AM
mawashi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
Well, did he get to borrow his friend's wheels?

GH
We all ended up at the A&E dept that morning, no riding lol!
Old 08-25-15, 09:40 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
The most stupid is a tough call since there are so many things that I can rationalize away, and I really wanted something dramatically stupid to contribute. But the mistake that was small and pointless feels more stupid as a result: setting off for an organized century ride that I knew there would be heavy rains and probably storms, I grabbed a pair of dark sunglasses. I even thought it, maybe I should take some clear goggles since I can't cope with the rain in the eyes (it's a weakness of mine), and very deliberately said nah, I'll just deal with it. Well, it got dark in the rain, I didn't know the route and couldn't see the markers and got lost.

I'd also installed a triple chain ring just a day before, which is pretty dumb as well but didn't turn out to be a real issue. The sunglasses though, that just felt stupid.