Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shirt for biking

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shirt for biking

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-14, 06:42 PM
WrightVanCleve

Bikes: 2013 Trek One Series

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
A wicking helmet liner works wonders as well.
Could you link what you are suggesting so I know what I'm looking for. I used to use a headband but even that loaded up with sweat and my right side of the face always channels sweat into my right eye.

Didn't matter if I shaved my head or not but I currently keep it shaved in the summer for comfort.
Old 06-05-14, 09:48 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Robot Check
This is what I use. I have 3 of them, so I can keep them rotated. Feels like there's air conditioning inside your helmet, and no more sweat in the eyes. I wear eyeglasses, and have had zero issues with sweat once I started using these.
My right eye was always the target as well, with a headband.
Old 06-05-14, 10:58 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I too am on the elderly side, and I ride in high heat and humidity year round. I wear long sleeve t shirts, which wick the moisture away from my body. Loose or tight doesn't seem to matter. Microfiber polyester is my fabric of choice.
+1 on long sleeve shirts. My area doesn't typically achieve hot temperatures, but when it does, I always wear long sleeve cotton shirts. When I feel the need, I'll douse myself and shirt with water which helps keep me fairly comfortable.
Old 06-06-14, 07:20 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
It is amazing how different our bodies must be. I've been riding in the heat of Tucson (this time of year 100+) for nearly 60 years and can no longer imagine cotton anything even the with a super loose weave as the modern fabrics work so well at cooling, even modern wools like Icebreaker are fantastic. I love stopping at a traffic light, the sweat builds and it is like a cool breeze when you get started moving again.
Old 06-06-14, 07:44 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always thought bike jerseys were a waste of money and for the elite show offs only. I finally bought one and now I won't ride with anything else. They are awesome for keeping cool and are well worth the investment.
Old 06-06-14, 07:58 AM
Gnosis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
That is a recipe for disaster. We are talking about HEAT here. If you prevent the moisture from evaporating, you also prevent evaporative cooling the major method the body relies on for temperature control. And you can't force the moisture to stay in your body by covering it. The sweat will still pour out, it just won't evaporate as efficiently. Water on your skin isn't water in your system. Your post is very bad advice.
+1
Old 06-06-14, 08:22 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I am on the side of wicking materials, but I don't know enough to have an opinion on whether tight or loose fit is best.

I am too big for most jerseys, but I have had good results with the moisture-wick shirts from alertshirt.com, and they are extremely visible. I have worn both their long and short sleeve t-shirts and now that I think about it, when I wore the long sleeved one a couple of years ago, I did feel the cooling effect very well on my arms...

The biggest benefits of their shirts, besides the wicking and bright colors is that they seem well made, and they are affordable ($10-15 per shirt). Also, at least for the sizes I wear (3X and 4X) they are long enough that I get coverage on my back when riding. I am 6' tall, and have a couple of inches more than I need for coverage while riding.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 06-06-14, 08:30 AM
SwampDude

Bikes: All Treks - fitness and road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have any science to support my summer riding shirt choice. I'm just an old peckerwood who rides a lot in sunny, hot conditions.

i want some sun exposure, so I ride in a sleeveless shirt most of the time. I also want a high visibility, light weight shirt that dries quickly.

Nike Miler Singlet (Team) Volt/Volt/Reflective Silver - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

My color choice is the irridescent yellow.

Obviously, this isn't a cycling shirt, but my reasons for riding don't include looking stylish.

Hydrating is my key tactic for riding in heat.

Last edited by SwampDude; 06-06-14 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-06-14, 08:35 AM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nrsmd
I am a male somewhat elderly. I have a particular problem with overheating despite wearing a nylon shirt and shorts in the summer. I hydrate as much as possible but During the heat of the summer at times I feel myself overheating and simply have to stop biking to cool down. I am wondering if there are any special type shirts that have a particular element of rapidly dissipating sweat and heat because I know these are at least in part the problem I am facing.
Being quite heavy and living in a hot city, I've found a good solution to overheating by wearing a skin-tight base layer (as mentioned above) below a buttoned shirt or loose fitting t-shirt. It might sound like a lot of layers, but it keeps me really cool.
Old 06-06-14, 08:43 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
As mentioned, sweat cools via evaporation. If it's on your skin, it cools the skin. If it's on the jersey, it cools the jersey. This fine if the jersey is against your skin. It's less effective if the jersey is loose and not in direct contact with the skin. Further, loose material provides an air space between it and the skin which insulates to some degree. Tight, highly air permeable and wicking is coolest. Loose and permeable is less good. Loose and low permeability (e.g. wet cotton T-shirt) is least good. IMO

I watched most stages of the ATOC this year. It was very hot and of note was that though I saw a many if not most riding with open jerseys, I saw none using base layers.
Old 06-06-14, 01:13 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
It is amazing how different our bodies must be. I've been riding in the heat of Tucson (this time of year 100+) for nearly 60 years and can no longer imagine cotton anything even the with a super loose weave as the modern fabrics work so well at cooling, even modern wools like Icebreaker are fantastic. I love stopping at a traffic light, the sweat builds and it is like a cool breeze when you get started moving again.
Exactly. And the Terramar shirts I wear somehow have sunblock in them. It really works.
Old 10-29-19, 08:25 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Tucson Summer Relative humidity = 20%-40%, Yucatan = 70% to 90+% makes for a very big difference in evaporation rate. Don
Old 10-29-19, 09:06 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
Tucson Summer Relative humidity = 20%-40%, Yucatan = 70% to 90+% makes for a very big difference in evaporation rate. Don
Don, I have only seen days on end like that when working in Nanchang, PRC, which the Chinese call one the four furnaces of China. Office was across the 7 lane road from my hotel but had to go down to the underpass to bike across some 200 meters away. Always soaked when I got to the office. Stay cool.
Old 10-29-19, 10:41 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,469 Posts
This is an old thread with no prior activity in five years. Many prior posters may not even be active now. If anyone is interested in the subject, please a new thread. Also this isn’t a subject for Mechanics either. Don’t know how that happened.

Thanks

Stan