Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roubaix vs giant defy advanced pro

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-16, 08:02 PM
Splatface

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm considering the
Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp with partial Ultegra group ( shifters, detailers) and 105 group, caliper 105 brakes and cassette and chain. Comfortable but obviously cut corners on the specs.
At $2100 on sale black with red lettering

VS

Giant Defy Advanced pro 2 with full Ultegra and disc brakes. At $3200.
The defy advanced pro 2 won cycling weeklys bike of the year for a great package at the price point. Ultegra, discs, stiff frame with plenty of pick-up.
Not considered as comfortable as the Roubaix but still considered a great speced package. I guess comfort is all in what you are used to.

I'm sure they are both fine but what is your pick. I can afford both but don't have money to burn. Whichever needs to last me a good while. I believe in buying quality but again looking for the better value. 1100 doesn't grow on trees. I know at these price points they aren't exactly comparable but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 05-19-16, 10:28 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Well, at $1100 price difference, hopefully you can TELL the difference.

Can you?

I have money to burn, who cares what I think? Which one do you think is cooler?
Old 05-19-16, 10:34 PM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think there is a noticeable difference between the 2 bikes when I test rode endurance bikes 3 months ago. The Roubaix is without question more comfortable to me, the Defy borders on being an endurance bike. You can feel the road and with that a sportier feel. I went down the middle and got a Solace.
Old 05-20-16, 02:13 AM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For a fairer comparison, why not look at the Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc, which costs $3000?

Geoff
Old 05-20-16, 02:19 AM
link0

Bikes: '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It depends on if you need disc brakes. If you ride in the wet, then they are a good choice. If you only ride in fair weather, they only add weight and cost.
Old 05-20-16, 06:03 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Get the Roubaix and don't look back. Lots of R&D went into that frame and the zertz inserts / cobble gobbler seat post -- it really is a fast bike and very comfortable. You can get a very racey setup on it too by lowering the stem if that's what you're after. I chose my Roubaix after riding it and a similary-priced Emonda SL5.
Old 05-20-16, 06:18 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I'd take the Roubaix and pocket the difference. Get yourself a set of nice wheels.
Old 05-20-16, 06:36 AM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Personally, I don't think the "corner-cutting" is that big a deal, considering 105 is still very good - and it's only brakes, chain, and cassette.
Go with the Roubaix.
No, actually, go with the one that feels the best to you when you ride them. If you really prefer the ride of the Giant, go for it. If not, why spend the extra money?
Old 05-20-16, 06:46 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I'd take the Roubaix and pocket the difference. Get yourself a set of nice wheels.

Good point. Even if they were evenly priced, I'd still choose the Roubaix. $1100 will get you a lot of nice stuff -- jerseys, shorts, cold-weather gear, gloves, upgrade the helmet, shoes, clipless pedals, and you'd still have money left over.
Old 05-20-16, 10:41 AM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jofu
For a fairer comparison, why not look at the Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc, which costs $3000?
To be clear, I wasn't advocating for disc brakes, I was just pointing out those 2 bikes weren't necessarily "head to head" Of the 2 bikes presented above, I personally just have experience with the Roubaix (Expert model however), and I do like it a lot.

Geoff
Old 05-20-16, 03:53 PM
Scrambler13

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the Giant advance pro 2 and I love it. I have about 870 miles on it so far. Longest ride 50-60 miles. For what it's worth I don't really have much to compare it to. One year ago I bought a hybrid then my Defy road bike after not ridding bicycle for 25 years. I'm soon to be 49 and rode close to 2300 miles in last year.
Old 05-20-16, 03:59 PM
bored117 

Bikes: Lynskey R230 DA DI2 ENVE 3.4 SES, 6KU Fixie, Cheap Aluminum Slapstick Trainer only bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here are 2 things in the consideration if I was in your shoes.
1) Which one feels like you are riding better with?
2) Which one looks better to you.
As for money difference... well, that comes later if your budget is okay either way. Going to cost same anyways if you plan to upgrade components on Roubaix later anyways... now a day I care more about frame then whole package... most of my bike's only remaining components are frame and fork... If you are the type that doesn't upgrade... want to make right decision now after riding them.
Can't be a bad pick either way
Old 05-20-16, 04:11 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Splatface
I'm considering the

I'm sure they are both fine but what is your pick. I can afford both but don't have money to burn. Whichever needs to last me a good while. I believe in buying quality but again looking for the better value. 1100 doesn't grow on trees. I know at these price points they aren't exactly comparable but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Which of the two is steel?
Old 05-20-16, 06:15 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Seriously, don't you have something better to do that make smart ass remarks? Very funny

OT: I wouldn't worry about the specs or value proposition. Just test ride both and see which you like better. Also whether you value more comfort or a more "racy" geometry?

Also, which one just appeals more to you? It is important that you just like the look of the bike I think ,and that you want to go out riding it.
Old 05-20-16, 06:16 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Very funny

OT: I wouldn't worry about the specs or value proposition. Just test ride both and see which you like better. Also whether you value more comfort or a more "racy" geometry?

Also, which one just appeals more to you? It is important that you just like the look of the bike I think ,and that you want to go out riding it.
Old 05-21-16, 08:50 AM
Maconi

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been through this and really the only way to tell is to ride them back-to-back. If they are at 2 different shops, see if one of the shops have some kind of demo program where you can borrow the bike for a few hours/a day. Take it to the other shop and demo them both.

I'll say after riding a ton of bikes back-to-back that Specialized really seem to have the front-end mastered (as far as comfort).

Last edited by Maconi; 05-21-16 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-21-16, 12:17 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I bought a roubaix expert with full ultegra except the wheels and it's a comfortable bike for me so far. Mine is a few years old but I doubt I'd notice if the calipers and anything else wasn't ultegra
Old 05-21-16, 03:05 PM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the grupo is a red herring

The difference bw full Ultegra and Ultegra and 105 will be minimal.

Weight wise we are talking well under half a pound based on your description.

So base your decision on some other aspect.
Old 05-22-16, 08:14 PM
Splatface

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well. I went with the defy advanced pro 2. After much reading and comparing it seems to be a hell of a package for the money (bicycling weekly 2016 bike of the year)and I liked the looks. That is what I originally was shopping for but the specialized seemed like a great price and was still marked down for the spring sale. It was temping given the price but decided not to compromise. The Roubaix was probably a little more comfortable but the upgrade in carbon, wheels, components outweighed the slight comfort increase this time.at the end 1100 dollars doesn't grow on trees but won't amount amount to much in the big scheme of things looking back a year from now. Like bored117 said the cost probably would have been a wash if I had upgraded a couple of things anyway. Thanks for every bodies input. I know the bike went that comparable but sometimes you see something on sale and it gets considered unexpectedly.

Thanks..