Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Fan club

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Fan club

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-14, 05:00 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Fan club

Today on the way home from work, a lady stopped me and wanted to say she saw me all the time riding. With all the Hi-Vis gear I wear, she said she could see me from a great distance. She went on to say, "Thanks" for being so safe. Has anyone done something like that to you?
Old 10-31-14, 05:09 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had neighbors, cyclists, a pedestrian and several drivers all comment on some aspect of my outfit or lighting or visibility in general.

I really appreciate it and thank them for letting me know.
Old 10-31-14, 05:42 PM
jwarner
Fahrradfahrer

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I often have people in automobiles pull really close, honk their horn, and scream "makaj akfjaj; auaoave" at me. I think they are saying "Good Job!" or "You Rock!" Sometimes they even give me the "fist of solidarity."
Old 10-31-14, 07:44 PM
bubbagrannygear
just ride

Bikes: specialized roubaix, dawes sst ( steel single speed)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding home tonight in dark with high visibility vest worn over a backpack and fluttering behind me like a cape, a trick or treater said she liked my costume.
Old 10-31-14, 07:53 PM
bengreen79
Allez means go.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A friend of mine said that he could see my hi-viz green backpack from a lot farther away than he could see my tail light.
Old 11-02-14, 01:30 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Nearly all of my jerseys and jackets are bright yellow with no patterns. Since I started doing this, I have had motorists thank me in broad daylight for being visible. At night I wear an orange riding vest. My latest backpack is a coal colored Black Diamond that I decorated with 3" silver Scotchlight reflecting tape on the back, sides and bottom. (I would have bought any other bolor of that back if I had seen a choice.) My workhorse winter/city/commuter is currrently painted with skyblue powdercoat so I decorated it with about 10' of blue Scotchlight tape. Almost a perfect color match! My panniers are yellow and my fenders are yellow or white when available. (And why manufacturers don't make these colors readily available for road tire sizes is beyond me.) White helmets.

Proof that this stuff works? Well, only that I am still here.

Ben
Old 11-02-14, 01:38 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Nearly all of my jerseys and jackets are bright yellow with no patterns. Since I started doing this, I have had motorists thank me in broad daylight for being visible. At night I wear an orange riding vest. My latest backpack is a coal colored Black Diamond that I decorated with 3" silver Scotchlight reflecting tape on the back, sides and bottom. (I would have bought any other bolor of that back if I had seen a choice.) My workhorse winter/city/commuter is currrently painted with skyblue powdercoat so I decorated it with about 10' of blue Scotchlight tape. Almost a perfect color match! My panniers are yellow and my fenders are yellow or white when available. (And why manufacturers don't make these colors readily available for road tire sizes is beyond me.) White helmets.

Proof that this stuff works? Well, only that I am still here.

Ben
Eurotrip Fenders Road | SOMA Fabrications

I have red ones that are nice and durable.
Old 11-03-14, 08:54 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The closest I've gotten to that is one of the rest stop volunteers commented that she could see my lime green jersey from a mile away at a charity ride. I need more fans
Old 11-03-14, 09:28 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Bicycle Driving/Cycling Savvy proponents would say that lane position makes you more visible than high-viz. But I ride with a highly visible lane position (center or left of center by default) AND wear high-viz, AND use 2 Hotshot rear flashing lights. I can see in my mirror people changing lanes as much as 1/4 mile back.
Old 11-03-14, 09:54 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was riding in the bike lane on a 4 lane road (2 each way). It's one of the main roads on our town, and has bike lanes on the sides going in both directions. It also had red lights. Generally if I get caught at a red light I'll pull out into the lane to prevent people from giving me the right hook. I did exactly that one day and a guy honked and rolled down his window and thanked me for riding in the bike lane instead of the sidewalk and for being safe. I guess I have one fan!