Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Return Trek X-Caliber 8 for X-Caliber 9?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-20, 06:08 AM
Panabal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all. I just picked up a lightly used 2021 Trek X-Caliber 8 from my local bike shop for a great (to me) deal. I'm not particularly excited about the SRAM SX Eagle groupset and other components that it came with - although they are probably ok for the light trail and street riding I do. I just feel like the SX Eagle is slow and sloppy. And the more I read on the forums, I'm more convinced the SX Eagle is junk. So I was going to upgrade the components to Shimano XT. However, I have found another lightly used X-Caliber 9 that is Shimano XT and am considering returning the 8 and getting the used 9. The difference will cost me about $600. I'm assuming upgrading the 8 to the XT groupset will cost me more than $600. Should I return the 8 and get the 9? I do light trail, gravel, and street riding. Below are the specs for both:
Old 10-14-20, 06:31 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
You have a nice bike. Quit looking at the internet and go ride.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 10-14-20, 10:25 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If the money is not big deal, get the upgraded (9) if you don’t like the shifting on the (8).

If it bothers you enough now, and there are no setup issues than can be resolved, it will always bother you.

John
Old 10-14-20, 02:08 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
SX is not junk. It's heavier in the crankset, but the steel chain ring will last forever. The shifting bits are upward compatible with all the other Eagle stuff.

Spend your money on a nicer fork. The fork on the 9 is exactly one and no more steps better. But it does not function any better, having basically the same innards. They've added a remote lockout lever you don't need unless you are actually racing XC. It's easy enough to reach down and turn the lever on the fork, certainly no harder than shifting an old 10-speed.

Get a dropper and some better tires that are really tubeless while you are at it.

Better yet, get a Fuse. Hardtail Party gave it a glowing review. I'd say get a Stache but they don't seem to be making it any more.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-14-20 at 06:52 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 10-15-20, 08:26 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
No. $600 is way to much for basically just a drivetrain upgrade. If you really aren't happy upgrade your shifter to GX or higher which will be way cheaper.
Old 10-16-20, 11:52 AM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Panabal
And the more I read on the forums, I'm more convinced the SX Eagle is junk.
Found your problem.
Likes For sarhog: