Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dropper lever hard to press at first

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-21, 03:02 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts

I have a bike with an internal routed ascend 150mm dropper. It works beautifully, but recently I've been having an issue.

After a ride, I store the bike at home, and after a while (a couple of hours), the dropper lever is extremely hard to press, but only the first actuation.

After that, it's smooth again and will be smooth unless I take the bike for a ride again, in which case the same happens after a while when I get home. It's totally smooth during the whole ride. It only sticks after being home for a couple of hours after riding.

I'm thinking it may have something to do with condensation causing rust somewhere, as the bike is cold from the exterior temperature, and suddenly is stored inside at 21°C, but I've inspected the cable, lever, and post and everything seems to be OK.

Any idea?
Old 01-10-21, 08:29 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
On mine if you pull the seat post out and look at the bottom the cable is pulling a lever that depresses a ball bearing and the BB sticks occasionally. I just put a little chain oil on the BB when I think of it which is usually when it is already stuck and that fixes it.
Old 01-10-21, 01:26 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
On mine if you pull the seat post out and look at the bottom the cable is pulling a lever that depresses a ball bearing and the BB sticks occasionally. I just put a little chain oil on the BB when I think of it which is usually when it is already stuck and that fixes it.
I've disassembled mine. On mine the lever presses a metal pushrod that goes towards the top of the fixed part of the post. I've greased the pushrod to no avail.