Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

W/Kg units, why this metric?

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

W/Kg units, why this metric?

Old 01-26-21, 04:18 PM
La Tortue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
So, does Zwift offer races in all these categories? Others seemed to imply there were just a few categories, all based on W/kg.

(Sorry, I wrote Strava in my previous post, when I meant Zwift.)
Dude, there is more incorrect stuff in this thread it might as well be a politician's platform. I think folks just make up crap and throw it out to see what kind of response they'll get. Yes, there are age races, all women, races, pro races, Athena, and Clydesdale races. Team time trial races, whatever you can think of. They have an annual mens and women's academy where the winners gets a Pro Team contract. They come and go based on popularity. If you want to sponsor some weird something there's an avenue for that.
Likes For La Tortue:
Old 01-26-21, 04:22 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,257 Times in 2,936 Posts
Originally Posted by La Tortue
Dude, there is more incorrect stuff in this thread it might as well be a politician's platform. I think folks just make up crap and throw it out to see what kind of response they'll get. Yes, there are age races, all women, races, pro races, Athena, and Clydesdale races. Team time trial races, whatever you can think of. They have an annual mens and women's academy where the winners gets a Pro Team contract. They come and go based on popularity. If you want to sponsor some weird something there's an avenue for that.
Good to know, dude.
Old 01-27-21, 01:31 PM
La Tortue

How does the Zwift TTT compare with the real thing? Velo news did a comparison.

Take a dive into the numbers from two different TTTs — one on Zwift and one from the 2018 Tirreno-Adriatico — and see just how realistic Zwift is.

Old 01-27-21, 01:47 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Not sure which leagues would catch this, but I've seen TTT races bring one "ringer" that almost pulls the entire time but takes enough breaks to not hit limits. Enabling the other riders to take bigger pulls.

I played "pack fodder" for a WRTL TTT group once. One dude pulled literally 1/3 to 1/2 of the entire 40min race at like 350w, while the rest of us were middling B's. We would rotate pulls when he had to drop off the back and help someone get back into the train.

If I saw that in my one and only ever WRTL race............it's bound to happen a lot more.
Old 01-27-21, 02:20 PM
La Tortue

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Not sure which leagues would catch this, but I've seen TTT races bring one "ringer" that almost pulls the entire time but takes enough breaks to not hit limits. Enabling the other riders to take bigger pulls.

I played "pack fodder" for a WRTL TTT group once. One dude pulled literally 1/3 to 1/2 of the entire 40min race at like 350w, while the rest of us were middling B's. We would rotate pulls when he had to drop off the back and help someone get back into the train.

If I saw that in my one and only ever WRTL race............it's bound to happen a lot more.
So where did they place? Thats an awful way to do it and if you do you surely will not place top tier of whichever Division you are in. If you pay close attention you' will see the fast teams have riders all similar in power. The technique you describe is pretty much bush league.
Old 01-27-21, 02:41 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
So where did they place? Thats an awful way to do it and if you do you surely will not place top tier of whichever Division you are in. If you pay close attention you' will see the fast teams have riders all similar in power. The technique you describe is pretty much bush league.
Well, dude pulled at 350 and rest of us only pulled at like 300. We would have pulled at 300 regardless without that guy. So however many minutes that dude pulled at 350 was 50w more during that time than we would have pulled. So would assume we went faster than we should have if that guy could only pull at 300. Don't know.
Old 01-27-21, 03:22 PM
La Tortue

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Well, dude pulled at 350, and rest of us only pulled at like 300. We would have pulled at 300 regardless without that guy. So however many minutes that dude pulled at 350 was 50w more during that time than we would have pulled. So would assume we went faster than we should have if that guy could only pull at 300. Don't know.
Not sure if you know the rules but a Frappe team allows up to three A cats on the team. So if the guy was pulling 350 that is pretty much spot on..The B's can pull 300 so you guys should have been top 5 or so in a brutally hard Division. But, your comment that the guys had to go back and pull people up says your technique was poor. The top teams don't go back. Now that's not to say there aren't a lot of teams (Mine) whose objective is to keep everyone and get the best time possible. We can't win but we sure have fun. They have 7,000 racers in a TTT race where whining is unusual yet there are folks on the sideline claiming to change the system?
Old 01-29-21, 09:55 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
How did you determine how many watts the other person was pulling? Did you know their weight?
Old 01-29-21, 11:16 AM
La Tortue

Originally Posted by jadocs
How did you determine how many watts the other person was pulling? Did you know their weight?
Here is an example pulled from last nights TTT results. You can pull up anyone data you like. This is showing TFC's team data and where the fourth riders time is the official team time. And yes all the riders weights are known along with FTP's history etc. You guys are missing out on a lot if you aren't aware of these races. This one last night had over 6,000 riders and more than 1,000 teams. Have yet to see any whining over category cheats or sandbaggers. When they do its dealt with.

Old 01-29-21, 11:19 AM
jadocs

Here is an example pulled from last nights TTT results. You can pull up anyone data you like. This is showing TFC's team data and where the fourth riders time is the official team time. And yes all the riders weights are known along with FTP's history etc. You guys are missing out on a lot if you aren't aware of these races. This one last night had over 6,000 riders and more than 1,000 teams. Have yet to see any whining over category cheats or sandbaggers. When they do its dealt with.

Ah...yes, I mistakenly assumed it was real time off zwift.
Old 01-29-21, 11:32 AM
La Tortue

You can pull it off real-time. You have his watts and w/kg prominently displayed simply by clicking on his name during the race.
Old 01-29-21, 11:51 AM
jadocs

Also true
Old 01-30-21, 01:23 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
I moved this from General to Indoor cycling because I figured it might be easier to find in the future.
Old 01-30-21, 01:30 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I moved this from General to Indoor cycling because I figured it might be easier to find in the future.
Just when I was about to steer the conversation a bit by asking how many people have started to see their local outdoor club rides start using w/kg guidance for their rides, to supposedly better indicate the effort expected (starting to abandon the old A, B, C etc. ratings)?
Old 01-30-21, 02:57 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Just when I was about to steer the conversation a bit by asking how many people have started to see their local outdoor club rides start using w/kg guidance for their rides, to supposedly better indicate the effort expected (starting to abandon the old A, B, C etc. ratings)?
Due to the somewhat unrealistic drafting effects in zwift outdoor riding can accommodate a much wider range of riders. In zwift if you're riding with a group of 20 riders averaging 4W/kg you should be able to 'sit in' at the back of the pack with about 2.8W/kg but it doesn't work that way. In real outdoor riding weaker riders can just sit in and not go to the front.
Old 01-30-21, 03:35 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I have yet to notice a drafting effect in zwift like you do outdoors.
Old 01-30-21, 04:07 PM
James1964 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 96 Posts
Zwift relies on participant honesty. A bit of a stretch as you get into the more competitive groups.
Old 01-30-21, 06:27 PM
gregf83 

Some races are 'Full Draft'. I think most normal zwift riding has the draft effect roughly 50% of normal.
Old 01-31-21, 07:51 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Zwift's drafting effect feels different from outdoor riding.
Outdoors you can feel the resistance to the pedals reduced when drafting behind someone, but on Zwift you don't get that feeling. Instead, you just ride faster at your given wattage, and it's up to you to monitor that closely and figure out how much less effort you can put out to stay within the group.
Old 01-31-21, 09:09 AM
ingo

Bikes: Cervelo S3, Ridley Helium, Cannondale Topstone Carbon, Giant Trance

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 24 Posts
I am a light rider at 65 kg. If you want to win Cat based races on Zwift without going over the prescribed W/kg limits you must be very heavy (over 90kg) and within 0.1 W/kg of the upper limit for 20 minute power. Big and heavy racers at the same W/kg have a huge advantage on downhills, a large advantage on the flats, and a small advantage on uphills. Since drafting effect is reduced in Zwift, the large rider advantages are even greater than in real life. Zwift have admitted that they have reduced the draft effect compared to real physics. A long time ago I went through the results of C Cat races and no racer under 70 kg had ever won a race and stayed under the 3.2 W/kg limit. This is so unrealistic compared to real life that I stopped racing in categorized races and only enter mass start events. Sure I get dropped by the faster racers but at least you end up in a group of similar ability to race against. If Zwift ever goes to results based race categories I will start racing again. The only fair racing is in the A category where heavy riders get crushed. All the heavy riders lobby to keep the existing system, light riders have moved on and will race outside where the results are not biased.

I have also pointed out to Zwift that someone at the lower end of the W/kg Cat system (say 2.6 W/kg) gets crushed and does not enjoy racing, while someone at 2.5 W/kg has a great time. People are increasing their in game weight to stay in lower cats because it is no fun to get dropped in the first 200m and ride alone in a race.
Old 01-31-21, 10:58 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I thing some things got messed up in your post. Short heavy riders might be better off downhill and on flats, but there is a penalty going uphill. I'm sure gaining just enough weight to go down a cat is worth it, but there is at least some price to be paid. Tall heavy riders are penalized everywhere.
Old 01-31-21, 11:18 AM
ingo

I thing some things got messed up in your post. Short heavy riders might be better off downhill and on flats, but there is a penalty going uphill. I'm sure gaining just enough weight to go down a cat is worth it, but there is at least some price to be paid. Tall heavy riders are penalized everywhere.
Nope, at the same W/kg and height a heavy rider always goes faster than a lighter rider. This has been proven in speed tests by Zwift Insider.
Old 01-31-21, 12:04 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by ingo
Nope, at the same W/kg and height a heavy rider always goes faster than a lighter rider. This has been proven in speed tests by Zwift Insider.
Isn't this just physics (not a Zwift thing)? I used a simple online calculator (bikecalculator.com) -- enter 50kg and 200 watts (4watts/kg) and 10% hill, vs. 100kg, 400 watts and 10% hill. The 400 watt scenario returns a faster speed. (approx. 12 vs 11 kph)
Old 01-31-21, 01:26 PM
ingo

Isn't this just physics (not a Zwift thing)? I used a simple online calculator (bikecalculator.com) -- enter 50kg and 200 watts (4watts/kg) and 10% hill, vs. 100kg, 400 watts and 10% hill. The 400 watt scenario returns a faster speed. (approx. 12 vs 11 kph)
Yes, IRL that's true too so the physics in Zwift are directionally correct. The problems is to group racers into categories using this metric since heavy riders always have the advantage unless racing in A with no W/kg cap.
Likes For ingo:
Old 01-31-21, 04:08 PM
gregf83 

Because their W/kg (including bike) is higher.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.