Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Schwinn Continental 10 speed

Old 04-03-21, 02:32 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
Schwinn Continental 10 speed

Schwinn Continental 10 speed. How much? (Not mine [yet], but trying to value)

Last edited by stevel610; 04-03-21 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-04-21, 10:31 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
It looks like it's all there, but I could use some more pics. From the pics it looks like more patina than rust... $60 - $75
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 04-04-21, 01:51 PM
stevel610 

Yup more pics would help. Thanks for your input.
For others looking, it would help me if you would put a number out there.
Old 04-04-21, 01:51 PM
stevel610 

Deleted. Duplicate.
Old 04-04-21, 03:43 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
If it is tuned up, $120 in my market.
Likes For katsup:
Old 04-04-21, 05:13 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Favorable Factors:
(1) It's a Schwinn.
(2) It's like a Varsity.
(3) Continentals are better than Varsitys.
(4) Everyone in college in 1972 wanted a Continental but couldn't afford it then.
(5) Bike is low mileage, undamaged, complete, and unmolested. Probably will clean up nicely.

Unfavorable Factors:
(1) Long years of inactivity and neglect.
(2) Needs at least $200 in parts - tires, tubes, rim strips, brake shoes, chain, freewheel, gear and brake cables, possibly pedals (not serviceable), and ???
(3) Needs all bearings to be disassembled, washed in solvent, replaced balls as needed, greased and reassembled.
(4) Market appeal is diminished by displaying bike leaning against a trash can.
(5) It weighs 40 pounds.

Value:
In immaculate used condition, maybe $200. Average condition ready to ride, $75-$100. Considering it needs $200 worth of parts and several hundred $ worth of labor, I'd recommend bargaining the purchase price as low as possible.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Likes For CroMo Mike:
Old 04-05-21, 06:36 AM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 147 Posts
$70 - $100 as it sits and is ridable.

The bag alone has about a 40.00 value if there are no rips or tears.

I have many Schwinn vintage bikes. Most of them I have not done any bearing work. That's not to say it is not needed. It depends how smooth the ride and shifting are.

More pics would be helpful, but looks to be in pretty good shape.

Should clean up good !!

What is the bike selling for ??
Old 04-05-21, 01:04 PM
stevel610 

Originally Posted by bikemike73
$70 - $100 as it sits and is ridable.

The bag alone has about a 40.00 value if there are no rips or tears.

I have many Schwinn vintage bikes. Most of them I have not done any bearing work. That's not to say it is not needed. It depends how smooth the ride and shifting are.

More pics would be helpful, but looks to be in pretty good shape.

Should clean up good !!

What is the bike selling for ??
Please take this in perspective and be nice; I am referring him to this thread. He is asking $650....He saw a listing somewhere on the internet for $750 and priced accordingly.

I wanted to get some opinions from non-connected people before I contact him. I was thinking $50-$75 in current condition. Perhaps a little more because it would be nice with some work.

Last edited by stevel610; 04-05-21 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-05-21, 02:31 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610

He is asking $650....He saw a listing somewhere on the internet for $750 and priced accordingly.
Holy Moly
Likes For DMC707:
Old 04-06-21, 07:19 PM
stevel610 

I pointed him to this thread. He dropped the price to $550🤣. https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/d/wayne-vintage-schwinn-continental-mens/7298866274.html

Old 04-06-21, 07:46 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
It may be worth that much to the owner but unrealistic in the real world. It is a classic but they made quite a few and they were very heavy frames. In the early seventies I had a Varsity and my friend had a Continental. We went for a 45 mile ride and he was done cycling. I gave my bike away and bought my first light weight racer and still have it, he never rode again! Great bikes for touring the neighborhood but the weight gets old after several miles.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 04-07-21, 07:21 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time with that seller. A seller who starts off in crazy town on the price is unlikely to budge. This level of Schwinn bike will show up at a reasonable price sooner rather than later. At $550 or less, you can get one of the fillet brazed chrome moly Schwinns (Superior, Sports Tourer, or Super Sport). In fact you might want to get one of those rather than the Continental.

Last edited by bikemig; 04-07-21 at 07:27 AM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-07-21, 08:36 AM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
He will never get $550 for it, as the others have said it needs at least $200 of work done to it, in the condition it is in, I would not pay more than $75 for it, but that's just me.
Old 04-07-21, 08:52 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
No, just no. That's a $150 bike tops when in excellent condition needing no parts or repairs. $75 tops as is. As for the bag being worth $40, I doubt it. Seller can list it separately and find out for himself. I too would not waste time with a seller so deluded. Keep looking!
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 04-07-21, 09:34 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
...don't waste your time. Life is short.
Old 04-07-21, 01:42 PM
syang81

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People are looking on ebay for prices before listing locally. The ebay prices on bikes like this are outrageous and giving people a false sense of value.
Old 04-10-21, 03:39 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
To quote Tom Arnold in TRUE LIES, “I’ve got two words for you, In-Sane”!!! That seller will NEVER get anywhere near $250 let alone $500 for that bike. I’m going with the sub $100 suggestions and personally wouldn’t pay more than $75.
As a teenager back in the mid-sixties, I had an early sixties Continental. Loved that bike and kinda wish that I still had it. It would purely be for nostalgic reasons tho. Beastly heavy being the main drawback (even with several aluminum components). IMHO, Schwinn made some marketing errors as the “Baby Boomers” jumped on the bike craze band wagon in the early seventies. They moved away from traditional in favor of “cool and comfortable”. I could be wrong but perhaps the start of a downward spiral for Schwinn.
Back to the OP’s issue, better bikes are out there for sure. I’d resume my search.
Old 04-10-21, 03:50 PM
Shari

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nice bike

Love the bright yellow.
Likes For Shari:
Old 04-10-21, 05:23 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Shari
Love the bright yellow.
The catalog calls it “Kool Lemon”!
Likes For sovende:
Old 04-11-21, 09:29 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
The Wayne, PA located seller (Philly craigslist) will eventually learn that even if that Kool Lemon, early seventies Continental, once belonged to Steve Carlton or Mike Schmidt, or perhaps even if it was the Philly Fanatic's own bike-----------Nobody Cares because it is not in showroom perfect condition.................perhaps dial it back into reality and jump for joy if you can sell it for one Benji and one Grant, because as that bike currently sits, $150 is probably asking about two Hamiltons and one Jackson and one Lincoln and three Washintons Too Much to develop any prospective buyers. .
Old 04-12-21, 01:39 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
Schwinns are simple.
Mr Clean Magic Eraser on the paint & decal, and copper pot scrubber & scotch brite pad and Comet cleanser could clean up that yellow frame and wheels.
You could easily clean that Kool Lemon 24" frame early Seventies Continental and install new brake pads, tubes and tires, for about $55 in total parts cost if you source the new two 27 X 1 1/4 (32-630mm) tires/tubes from major ONLINE bike shops with an Ebay store/listings...................there are plenty of sources where you can get two tires and two tubes for under $45 including shipping.
You can also find several bike parts suppliers/stores on EBAY that offer New GRAY colored 40mm 'diacompe style' reproduction brake pads with the nut.............at prices ranging for a bag of ten pads(enough for two and a half bicycles) for as low as about $9 including shipping................a bag of four pads for about $6 including shipping.......Some times even less......those brake pads are decent quality unlike the BLACK colored pads which are poor and quickly destruct when used with steel wheels. The gray color pads that I mention have a quality oem look acorn nut and are quality built in Taiwain.
Certainly, you could find the more expensive Salmon colored pads from sellers like Porkchop bmx and others.......you could also get the Kool Stop branded salmon colored brake pads for less than $30 total.
A basic old fashioned spoke wrench can be used to possibly "TRUE" the wheels if needed. The spokes appear all undamaged and mostly clean and likely in good condition. Folks that have no idea how often initially go-nuts and go from near perfect to taco-shell shape before realizing their mistakes....... READ & See detailed instruction on the method for Truing before just tightening every spoke without a methodical plan............
THOSE ANCIENT SCHWINN CABLES often if the bike had been stored in doors, will be fine even after 50+ years....... Heck dip a tip of a golf tee or toothpick or tip of a pencil into the any fresh automotive motor oil.............and dab a drop onto the shifter cable and brake cables where it enters the housings.....................The biggest issue sometimes with old cables is simply the frayed end where after it comes through the derailleur attachment.....but if you need not rethread or cutoff to rethread but not enough remains after to allow you to do so............Often you can readjust without the need to replace the cable.............ditto for brakes...............
Hey, though.....the BELL PITCREW 600 Cable Set at some WALMART stores for $10 and walmart online and Ace hardware online has replacement brake cables, shift cables, and the ferrules..........................yeah you'd need to buy or obtain a BRAKE CABLE CUTTER tool (" bicycle brake cable cutting pliers") to make clean cuts......the Bell Pitcrew 600 has the Aspirin shaped (tourist style & mountain bike) and the smaller more bullet like (Roadbike) Ends on each side of the brake cable.............you simply cut off the one that you do not need...........................The Cable sheath that is provided in the Bell Pitcrew 600 $10 cable set is decent enough and gloss black in color................YOU WILL NEED A DECENT Brake Cable Cutter tool IN ORDER TO MAKE CLEAN CUTS IN THE SHEATH WITHOUT MANGLING/DISTORTING IT...........................You can also find several vendors on the Bay that sell new No-name(unbranded) brake cable cutter tool that looks like a near exact knock-off of the tool that is name branded and costs five times as much.........................you can find the NEW unbranded No-name knock-off for about $17 to $19 total cost including shipping...............I have done 33 bicycles with such a no-name, knock-off tool that I purchased new several years ago for $14 total including shipping...............I certainly did not expect the tool to last beyond maybe a dozen bikes or possibly fifteen bikes, but it still cuts sharp and clean.............if you have less than ten bikes to change cables on, it is my guess that the cheap knock off tool will be fine.
******************How difficult is it to remove the two #64 (number sixty-four) caged crank bearings on the SCHWINN's hanger set (bottom bracket)??? Sheesh....any 11 year old kid can learn to do it in a half an hour..........................Same thing with the HEADSET and Fork Bearings..............super simple because they AREN'T LOOSE BEARINGS, and the bearings are very high quality for the bearing load required of a bicycle...............................................................
Just clean these original bearings by soaking them in a bean can, or cut in half Coke or Beer Can and Formula 87 (formula 87 is the same thing that powers your Lawnmower and your pickup truck)...............DO THIS OUTDOORS, AWAY FROM PETS AND CHILDREN, and AWAY FROM SPARKS, OPEN FLAME, etc......
Within twenty to thirty minutes of soaking, that should break down most of the dried grease/dirt/grit.................longer soaking might not be needed.....
Toothpick, or sharpened golf tee and old toothbrush.....should aid in getting bearings to perfect clean..... Possibly Safer Alternatives to Formula 87 that you might choose to use would be RONSON Lighter Fluid, or maybe Kerosene. Whatever, do it outside away from pets and kids and use extreme caution!
I recommend GREEN Grease brand (headquartered in Texas) waterproof-synthetic grease....find it in auto parts stores like Auto Zone, o'Reilly's, Advance, NAPA .....I simply buy the round cylinder about 6 inches long that is a grease gun cartridge.......just open it and then cap it off with aluminum foil & rubber bands and an empty bread loaf bag and twist tie........you'll have enough grease for bicycles and other little things for the next 12 years.................use a plastic spoon or knife like from fast food places....to scoop out what the amount of grease that you might need.
DISASSEMBLING & REMOVING THE FREE WHEEL isn't difficult with the proper technique and tool.........otherwise get your bike shop to loosen and remove it for you.......SHEESH......on many Schwinns, people can take the LAZY way out and simply get by many times by Just dripping/pouring a tiny-small amount of fresh new automobile motor oil.....anything really the exact weight formula isn't critical, maybe 15W-40, regular elcheapo conventional oil, or if you have Mobil 1 left over................you may have to turn the bike on its side and pour a tiny bit of oil and spin the wheel.......and do this every which way ......one side then other side.......for about 35 minutes to 1 hour total...........Enough quality fresh oil will seep into the wheel bearing area that when you spin the wheel it will want to keep on spinning almost forever................then wipe up the excess oil that dripped on the rim/spoke/tire etc and go ride the dang thing.....Do this outside or your wife will get really angry about the oil that drips and slings around inside the house while you do this!!.................Laugh if you want, but there are some of you Lazy bones out there that do exactly that with your old basic bicycles. Those ancient Schwinns are built like tanks..................the bearing quality is really good in those old bikes if they haven't rusted and pitted. If you should need any new replacement bearings, they are readily available and inexpensive.
It is so easy to service those old Schwinn wheels that you don't have to do it the Lazy way, but the Lazy way will provide excellent rideability, but you will need to repeat the oil dripping/seeping into the wheel bearings about every Six Hundred Miles of Riding during normal conditions........maybe every three hundred miles if you ride a lot during rainy conditions......
Schwinns will take a beating and keep going like a Two Ton Energizer Bunny. I recommend that anyone with an ancient Schwinn, obtain a used $5 free shipping copy of GLENN'S COMPLETE BICYCLE MANUAL (330 pages 8 x 11 softbound (c) 1973 )from one of several massive ex-library book sellers on Ebay.
C.A.B.E. forum site's Schwinn forum has Sticky links for the SCHWINN SERVICE SHOP MANUALS that the dealer service people used in the sixties and seventies.....you might have to go through two thousand pages, but you can find detailed instruction for everything.......the index should help you if you know what chapter-section your area of need might be discussed. There are plenty of YOUTUBE tutorials ranging in instruction from 3 stooges like, to logical step by step...
There is not too much that any ordinary idiot adult or a 12 year old boy cannot figure out within a hour with minimal necessary tools on any old ordinary Chicago SCHWINN. A local bike shop technician is not gonna be able to do a better job on an ancient Schwinn than any novice who reads how to and watches other dumbasses attempts on Youtube. Some Youtube instruction is great, but most videos will be done by other first-timers that are just really proud that they somehow got it figured out and done after at first fumbling and not grasping it........................heck, there aren't many out of the ordinary tools needed..............that is the beauty of old Schwinns.........simple and durable and built to withstand an atomic bomb blast.................................... Many of you are probably thinking, there is no way that you could adjust derailleurs if necessary......replace derailleur(s) if necessary..........and it is so incredibly simple............Huret, Shimano, MaedaSUNTOUR of the late Sixties & Seventies...............its just a cable attachment and adjustment of limit screws.....................follow the instructions set forth and the proceedure in order and you'll get it.....................you may need to test ride the bike for about 50 yards/meters and then make a slight screwdriver adjustment one way or another until you get everthing perfect.......... Yes, the bike shop technicians can make these adjustments perfectly within five minutes with one hand tied behind their back and blindfolded, because they have done it a million times. At worst case, you might take maybe three hours to for the first-time to figure it out on something the bike shop tech can do in five minutes, but once you figure out how after that first time, you'll be able to do it again in just half an hour or perhaps less time. All I am saying is if it is done right, it doesn't matter if Einstein (bike shop technician) did it in 5 minutes or Bozo the Clown(you) took 4 hours to do it. No need to spend the money to have the bike shop people do the work on a simple old Schwinn because it is so simple that even an EL-Stupido can do it........Youtube is living proof of that.
The old Schwinns are so simple that you cannot really screw them up so bad that you can't figure them out before you destroy-ruin stuff. You won't ruin or destroy anything. In a very basic way, it is an entry level educational introduction to the simplest bicycle mechanics 101. You might have fun....... you'll get to cuss and swear and after figuring out how things dissassemble/re-assemble, you'll say to yourself, oh wow thats how it functions, oh wow that is so simple..... I don't think hardly anyone is gonna take a $50 to $100 market value simple ancient Schwinn to the local bike shop for $250 in retail repairs and tune-up, when any 80 year old or 12 year old can do it all perfectly the first time, attempting it over one weekend (a Sat afternoon & Sun afternoon).................... It is that Simple! It won't cost much for NEW TIRES tubes, brake pads, cable set SOURCED FROM ONLINE sources....... Heck new aftermarket seats and new 1/2" fit rat trap pedals in the style of the seventies are extremely inexpensive..........1/2" fit means the threads are 1/2" which are what is required by Ashtabula One piece Cranks.........
Heck, even should you need a CHAIN REPLACEMENT, my local bike shop only charges me $17 total for a new chain and installation for Schwinn 5 speeds and 10 speeds as well as for other Japanese/European 10 speeds & 5 speeds from the Seventies.
There is nothing easier to service and there is nothing more durable than an ancient Chicago SCHWINN. Simple is great if you don't mind the weight!
Stay Thin, Ride A Schwinn!
Old 04-12-21, 05:49 PM
stevel610 

Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
Schwinns are simple...Simple is great if you don't mind the weight!...Stay Thin, Ride A Schwinn!
Wow. A veritable users guide of flipping Schwinns. Thanks!