Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Giddy up

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 08:36 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 119 Posts
Giddy up

GIDDY UP!

Anybody try this seat?

https://giddyuppro.com/products

My Urologist told me I should get a seat with a large cut out.

Been experiencing some problems in that area, even though I have a gel seat with a gel seat cover.

I`ve been pretty happy with it, but I`d like to take the advice of my Dr.

I`m 6'2" 250lbs. and ride 15-20 miles everyday.
Old 03-31-21, 09:19 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8263 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Seats that have too much padding just make things worse.
Old 03-31-21, 09:33 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
^ Yeah, OMG. New riders think that heavily padded saddles are more comfortable, when the opposite is true. Although . . .for rides of 5-10 miles, a heavily padded saddle is fine. But once rides get to be over an hour, the padding cuts off the circulation, not just in your privates, but also in your compressed butt tissues. For rides of over an hour, you want a saddle with padding which you can barely get your thumb to make a dent in. See your bike shop.

From what you say, you've already experienced problems. Less padding. Slot is fine. The way to condition your butt to a less padded saddle is to do just what you do - daily rides. Try 10 miles a day for a week, then gradually increase it. My experience is that I can't tell if a saddle is really right for me unless it's still comfortable after the 3rd hour - but my butt is well conditioned.
Old 03-31-21, 10:12 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
One of the key things with discussing comfortable saddles will be how long your butt is in the saddle and how much power you are putting out. For leisurely upright riding for less than an hour, a thick padded wide saddle might feel great. However I'd expect that the longer your ride or the more power you put out while riding, the more it'll be uncomfortable and rub sores on you.

Many of us ride harder than just a leisurely ride and for longer. So usually what works for us is going to be a minimally padded saddle that is just wide enough for the pelvic structures we sit on the saddle with. But not so wide that our butt cheeks and other parts hanging off of it rub in a way that gives us sores.

Cutouts and valleys in the saddle will vary in size for all of us. That's why my saddle will always be better than someone else. We are all different.
Old 03-31-21, 12:13 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Similar questions have come up before. Hope you find this description helpful. Think of a saddle as a soft pillow. Take your hands and put them on a pillow, with a little space between your hands. Now push down on the pillow. What happens?--your hands sink and the space between your hands is now higher or at least raised between your hands. Just the opposite of what you want to happen on a bike. This is why a firmer saddle, which supports your sit bones is better than a soft saddle which allows them to sink in. There are LOTS of saddles in many widths, designs, and cut-outs. Many, maybe most, of us have gone thru more saddles than we'd like to admit, in search for "the one".
Likes For freeranger:
Old 04-01-21, 04:10 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 119 Posts
My Dr. seemed more concerned about it having a large cut out to alleviate pressure on nerves and being able to give less trauma to the prostate , then he was to the comfort factor.
Old 04-01-21, 09:15 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
A saddle which fits your sit bones will contribute to the comfort factor, and should be considered as well as having a cut out. There are several sites which address how to get your sit bone measurement. Also, Specialized dealers have a system in store and will help you with sit bones measurement. They also sell saddles with cut-outs, and many have found them comfortable. As you've likely found researching, there are nearly as many opinions on saddles as there are riders. Wish ya luck in finding the one that works best for you. A good chamois will help also.
Old 04-01-21, 09:16 AM
big john

Originally Posted by roadsnakes
My Dr. seemed more concerned about it having a large cut out to alleviate pressure on nerves and being able to give less trauma to the prostate , then he was to the comfort factor.
They go hand in hand, no pun intended. I think you have to make an effort to get your weight on the sit bones and not on the soft tissue. For me, that means a cut-out but not a huge one. If you can get to the point where your weight is on the sit bones then the skin there will toughen up over time and you will be more comfortable.

The right shorts/bibs makes a difference, too.

There are lots of different saddles out there and some people need the specialty saddles like SMP.
Old 04-01-21, 09:18 AM
big john

Old 04-03-21, 03:46 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
GIDDY UP!
Anybody try this seat?
https://giddyuppro.com/products
My Urologist told me I should get a seat with a large cut out.
Been experiencing some problems in that area, even though I have a gel seat with a gel seat cover.
I`ve been pretty happy with it, but I`d like to take the advice of my Dr.
I`m 6'2" 250lbs. and ride 15-20 miles everyday.
Large seat with Large CUT OUT >>>

https://shop-us.ismseat.com/products...12539378663535

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
WOW!! A saddle that wide would rub my thighs so raw and painful, I would not even be able to feel my penis.
My Day6 Journey has the 16" wide saddle that I just rode 101 miles last Sunday.

https://day6bikes.com/journey/

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 04-03-21 at 04:06 AM.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 04-03-21, 07:50 AM
big john

WOW!! A saddle that wide would rub my thighs so raw and painful, I would not even be able to feel my penis.
They are available in 2 widths, 142 and 152 mm. So, not that wide.
Old 04-03-21, 04:27 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
The right saddle is a decision only you can make, nobody else (along w/what kind of bike, what tires, what to wear, what color your socks should be, etcetcetc) I once rode a saddle for six months, and THEN decided I didn't like it. >YMMV
Old 04-03-21, 05:57 PM
big john

I was referring to the giddy up saddle in the OP. I couldn't ride that thing.
Oh, you mean the tractor saddle? No, I couldn't ride that either, not on a bike, anyway.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-05-21, 07:50 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Your prostate isn't between your sitz bones, it's up near the base of your bladder. What runs through the area in question is nerves and blood vessels. Nobody wants pressure there whether their prostate is enlarged or normal. In my upright-riding days, what worked best was relatively firm padding in the sitz bone area and a groove down the middle. Cut-outs are fine, except that if you sit off-center, say at a stop, it concentrates your weight where you don't want to.
Likes For BlazingPedals: