Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

What Are People Thinking of Offerup

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-21, 07:08 AM
DawudAsha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am in the market for a MTB. Checking online and then I tried Offerup. People posting bikes for $100+ over MSRP. I mean I can just go to my LBS and buy new, get a warranty and have free service and parts for a year. Please someone shed light on me and explain why this is occurring.
Old 04-08-21, 07:23 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
The Analysis Paralysis has really got you.

Just go buy that Giant bike fercripesakes!
Old 04-08-21, 07:44 AM
DawudAsha

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
The Analysis Paralysis has really got you.

Just go buy that Giant bike fercripesakes!
I know. I have some bad news. I was on my way to buy the bike that day. On the way I checked my account and seen my debit card was compromised. Good thing I checked because it was done that day. I called, cancelled my card and waiting for them to reimburse me. As soon as they do, I am buying that brand new bike from LBS with Lifetime warranty and one year parts and service. Also, I support local small business. 👍

Can't wait to hit a trail.
Old 05-08-21, 05:25 PM
ellei.oh

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DawudAsha
I am in the market for a MTB. Checking online and then I tried Offerup. People posting bikes for $100+ over MSRP. I mean I can just go to my LBS and buy new, get a warranty and have free service and parts for a year. Please someone shed light on me and explain why this is occurring.
I usually only used Offerup for smaller items and haven't had any issues so far. I will say, a number of these items I was able to pick up locally, so I treat it more like a Craigslist. With that being said, a lot of bikes that I've seen have definitely been marked up (COVID prices as other posts mentioned). I hope you were able to get that new bike after all and have been enjoying the trails. Happy riding!
Old 05-08-21, 10:07 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by DawudAsha
Bikes are not quite interchangeable, but they nearly are. But the MTB press (like any kind of enthusiast press) is just an extension of advertising, so it has been telling everyone for decades that this bike might be the perfect one for you, for now. If you are susceptible to this you might decide you need a specific bike. Last year, the CDC told us to stay home from work and go play outside. Bikes sold out. This year, the demand is still high and the supply chain is still choked up. So if you want a specific build of a specific bike that launched a couple months ago, in your size, it is likely sold out, and you will have to turn to scalpers the used market.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-10-21, 09:22 AM
munkymack

Bikes: Ross Centaur - Pink & White | Surly Pacer - Gravel Conversion | The Black Prince - Vintage Hard Rock upright | Specialized Carbon Frankenroadie

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I search OfferUp, CL and Facebook Marketplace most days, just to see what's out there. With OfferUp and Facebook Marketplace, I've found a greater selection of sellers who don't know what it is they have, which means they're often either wildly overpriced or wildly underpriced. It's all about finding that diamond in the rough.

Every once in a while, I find something that makes it worth my while. I picked up a Surly Pacer on OfferUp a few years back that was far cheaper than it needed to be (cheap enough that I flipped it over on my test ride and ran the serial number through Bike Index to see if it was stolen--it wasn't).

But yeah, a lot of stuff is ridiculously overpriced there. Just gotta wade through the crap.