Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Revoshift 7, gears 3 and 7 question.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-21, 04:38 PM
mparkes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New Shimano Revoshift 7

Issue 1: I can feel while peddling, some degree of chain noise in gear 3 like the indexing is off, but the indexing looks okay to me. I have tried adjusting the barrel adjuster either way to see if indexing adj cleared it up, but it stayed the same. It isn't that bad or anything, just something I notice.

Issue 2: I have tried to get it into gear 7 and I had the chain jumping on the sprockets once in a while while peddling harder. Is that normal? It has been a while for me biking... Thank you for any thoughts on either! -Mike
Old 04-18-21, 09:34 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Are you talking about running the large chainring and large cog?

Also, I don’t think the front shifter (left - 3) is indexed with a twist shifter.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 04-19-21 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-19-21, 06:18 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
I would check to make sure there's not a stuck link in the chain... this is probably NOT the case If the other gears seem to be ok, it could also be those 2 cogs. I don't know how old the bike is, but if those 2 cogs are worn, this is the kind of issue you'd be experiencing (sounds like the chain doesn't want to stay seated on the cog).
Old 05-04-21, 08:37 AM
mparkes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey thank you for the replies, sorry my reply was so delayed... anyway, I don't know what to make of it. I am trading support via email with the bike company, (it is a folder, if that matters), But I am no expert on bike adjustments, to be honest. I have owned ten-speeds here and then in my life, and I never once recall any derailler being noisy in only one gear. So I am puzzled. It is more of a "felt" noise/interference as though suddenly someone was dropping little pieces of gravel into the chain as you are peddling, and so it feels a little roiguh to my feet, and it may some noise but it isn't that so much as the felt interference.

70ssano , there is only one chainring, and the chain popping off the sprockets under load, is with the smallest cog. But that could just be me, I do recall from my past riding of ten speeds it happens... the chain is grabbing only a few teeth to effect movement, so there is more force needed to keep it seated. This isn't really an issue with me, I doubt I will ever even be in that very high ratio gear (smallest cog) that much. The other issue is a concern, and it what I am trying to tune to get rid of of it if possible. Now I am trying to decide if I want to try and figure it out for myself (how long is that going to take!) or just take it to a shop and see what they think. It could be something simple, but my few adjustments on the barrel adjuster that changes the derailler index didn't help any. I was able to force it out of alignment and could see how then it is brought back in, but that has no effect on the other weird semi-rough feel in the third cog out from the largest cog.

And Robert. I have looked the chain over and don't see any stuck links. This is a brand new bike, so I am a little surprised I am having to deal with it. What can I say it was on sale and I have been wanting a good folding bike, this one looked good and seemed to be well-reviewed and I don't make a million dollars a year so I got this one. But now I have to learn how to be a bike mechanic haha...

It is a twist shifter though. 7 speed. The thing is, for gentle peddling around the neighborhood (I am 66), it is a gear I am in a lot so it would be nice to smooth it out. Thanks again for the responses I appreciate it.