Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

2002 Cannondale F700 rear hub and cassette

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-18-21, 09:20 AM
BiggFred

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi all,

my rear wheel on my 2002 cannondale f700 is done, and I’m having issues understanding what parts I need. I will keep the rim, but I will need a new hub and cassette. The spokes shouldn’t be a problem for my local shop. The old system is a freewheel.

I want to get a new hub, but I am unsure of the size. I assume its’s 135mm 6bolt, but I am not 100%. It’s also a 9 speed. So I would need a new hub and 9 speed cassette 11-34.

can anyone confirm that what I need is a 135mm rear hub, 6 bolt, 9 speed compatible and a 11-34 cassette to have a new wheel built that will fit my rig?

any help is appreciated.

cheers

i will have my local,shop do the work, but they have said they are having issues getting parts here in Canada.
Old 04-18-21, 09:33 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Any 135mm freehub (HG) disc hub will do, the only options you have are the disc mounting spec at 135mm, either 6 bolt, or centerlock, if your disc is still usable, go with 6 bolt, for ease of use, centerlock if the way to go.

For speeds, with Shimano till you get to 12 speed, everything is 9/10/11 speed compatible (as long as it's HG) it's only when you get to 11 speed that the freehub changes (SRAM XD is a whole other matter)

Wondering why not just get your local shop to order one in rather than do it yourself, if your going to get them to do all the work? Noted you said they were having issue, do you expect to get stuff easier at the moment?

If you need a new cassette, may as well do the chain at the same time, as given it's age, cables as well, also with it's age, think about doing a fluid change for the brakes if they haven't been done since new.
Old 04-18-21, 01:25 PM
BiggFred

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks. For all the info. Just had the cables, hydraulics and new BB done, but for some reason they couldn’t order a free hub for it.

I was able to find a 6 bolt XT free hub, with a 9 speed body online. Thanks for the size confirmation. I think they have all the parts I need at jenson USA or Merlin.

maybe they misunderstood what I wanted the to do with all the silly covid precautions I could really talk too much. Either way, I should be able to get the parts. I agree on the chain. Do you think I Can I get away without replacing the front sprockets?
Old 04-18-21, 02:03 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Center Lock is "more modern" and probably more available??
You could also buy a new CL rotor and save the used one for the front, which gets the most wear.
The caliper doesn't care which disc mounting system you have.
Old 04-19-21, 11:18 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by BiggFred
Do you think I Can I get away without replacing the front sprockets?
The chainset rings should last a lot longer than the cassette, if these are looking pointed (like shark teeth) then it's time to start looking for replacements, that said, if you need to replace the outer, as well as any others, look at the cost of a complete replacement, it may, or may not be just as cheap to get a complete chainset, you need to work this out (the photos really are too far away from this area to see much)