Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front derailleur clamp band adapter question.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-18-21, 04:31 PM
Jockie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Is there any reason why Shimano's SM-AD67-L (34.9mm) clamp band adapter would not be compatible with a Shimano's Ultegra FD-6700 direct mount front derailleur?

The SM-AD67 is promoted to be used with Shimano's Ultegra FD-6800 direct mount front derailleurs. From what I've read, this clamp band adapter accommodates the support bolt and plate of the newer derailleurs. Does anyone have knowledge or experience of this adapter's backward compatibility with an older direct mount derailleur - particularly an FD-6700?
Old 04-18-21, 07:31 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
It'll work. They're not 'direct mount', they're referred to as 'braze-on'.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-18-21, 08:17 PM
Jockie

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you "cxwrench".
I appears that there is such a thing as a direct mount front derailleur but as "cxwrench" correctly pointed out, what I am referring to is a 'braze-on' front derailleur.
Old 04-18-21, 08:30 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
CF frames tend to use direct mount. Steel & Titanium can use braze. Aluminum would more likely use a clamp.
Old 04-18-21, 08:45 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by Troul
CF frames tend to use direct mount. Steel & Titanium can use braze. Aluminum would more likely use a clamp.
Same. Damn. Thing. Frame material does not matter, you can find frames of all materials that use both.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-19-21, 04:58 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Same. Damn. Thing. Frame material does not matter, you can find frames of all materials that use both.
Brazing an item is joining together [fusing] metal by melting & flowing a filler metal into the joint. Direct mount using hardware to affix the part to its component.
Old 04-19-21, 08:09 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
It'll work. They're not 'direct mount', they're referred to as 'braze-on'.
Since you like to get hyper-technical about this stuff, they are incorrectly referred to as “braze-on”. Whether or not the mount is “brazed on” would depend on the material. Steel could be have the mount brazed onto the frame. Aluminum and titanium and some steel frames are going to welded. Carbon is going to have the mount glued or riveted in place.

And, if the mount is a clamp, it’s not “brazed” in place.

Frankly, “direct mount” is a better description for the mounting than “braze-on”, considering the relatively few frames that will actually use a brazing technique to attach the mount to the frame.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-19-21, 08:27 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
...subscribing.
Old 04-19-21, 10:26 AM
cxwrench

Brazing an item is joining together [fusing] metal by melting & flowing a filler metal into the joint. Direct mount using hardware to affix the part to its component.
The front derailleur that attaches to this type of mount has always been called a 'braze-on' front derailleur and the one w/ the built in clamp...well, you can figure that out.
Doesn't matter what material the frame is made with and whether the mount is actually brazed on, riveted on, or bonded. It's called a braze-on.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Since you like to get hyper-technical about this stuff, they are incorrectly referred to as “braze-on”. Whether or not the mount is “brazed on” would depend on the material. Steel could be have the mount brazed onto the frame. Aluminum and titanium and some steel frames are going to welded. Carbon is going to have the mount glued or riveted in place.

And, if the mount is a clamp, it’s not “brazed” in place.

Frankly, “direct mount” is a better description for the mounting than “braze-on”, considering the relatively few frames that will actually use a brazing technique to attach the mount to the frame.
'Direct mount' refers to a mountain bike derailleur that was the last mounting style before everyone decided that 1X was the way to go. Google direct mount front derailleur
Then Google braze on front derailleur
Old 04-19-21, 11:02 AM
Troul 

No matter what the FD requires for installing on to the seat tube, it will always require a certain mounting style for it to be held in place on the seat tube. As long as the need is known & achieved, the terminology is a YMMV.
Old 04-19-21, 11:11 AM
cxwrench

True, but if you go into a bike shop and ask for a front derailleur for a braze on mount they'll immediately know what you need. Same if you ask for a direct mount front derailleur, they'll know it's for a mtb. I'm not making this up, it's always been this way. The industry sets the standard for terminology in cases like this, not what some random guy thinks it should be called.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-19-21, 12:50 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Yeah, as a long term amateur, I've never heard any other terms but braze on for that type of road FDs. Shops, riders, mechanics, websites, what have you use that term and no other that I've seen. It's the proper and universally accepted and understood term, period.

As a maybe interesting aside, is it becoming more uncommon to see clamp on FDs with various clamp diameter options? Seems like they're defaulting to braze on derailleurs and clamp adapters of various sizes.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-19-21, 01:24 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

True, but if you go into a bike shop and ask for a front derailleur for a braze on mount they'll immediately know what you need. Same if you ask for a direct mount front derailleur, they'll know it's for a mtb. I'm not making this up, it's always been this way. The industry sets the standard for terminology in cases like this, not what some random guy thinks it should be called.
Yes. But if you walk into the same shop and ask them about “chain stretch”, they will immediately know what you are talking about. If you walked into a shop and asked “brifters”, they will know what you are talking about. Jockey wheels aren’t “pulleys” but they will also know what you are talking about.

My post was more about yanking your chain about your need for hyper-accuracy about bicycle terms.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-19-21, 01:49 PM
Troul 

if a random female calls it the dookickey that goes with "it" , the shop will also likely know what to do.

The sky isn't a cold color today, but it's grey.
Old 04-19-21, 03:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Yup. This is the bike world. Where a thread-on steel block with a freewheel mechanism inside is a "freewheel" but that term no longer applies if you put the freewheel mechanism inside the hub. (If then becomes a "cassette" hub. If you call it a "freewheel hub" you will be corrected even if you are differentiating it from a fix gear hub.)

Good thing is that my ti bike has no FD mount so it has to run clamped and cannot be saddled with braze-ons. (Also good in that being a 31.8 OD seattube. I could use an asymmetrical shim, a 34.0 (I think that is right) clamp and bring the FD further inboard to achieve good shifting with a triple using a crankset setup to a low Q-factor.
Old 04-19-21, 03:34 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12636 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
For a second there I started wondering if they'd started making direct mount front derailleurs for road bikes.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 04-19-21, 05:25 PM
cyccommute 

if a random female calls it the dookickey that goes with "it" , the shop will also likely know what to do.

The sky isn't a cold color today, but it's grey.
Let’s not be sexist, okay? I’ve had numerous XY chromosome individuals at my local co-op who are clueless about the various doohickeys on a bicycle. I’ve also worked with numerous XX chromosome volunteers and paid mechanics who know what all the various doohickeys on a bicycle are called and can help any one find the proper part. Some even go so far as teaching other people how to fix their bikes.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-19-21, 05:29 PM
Troul 

Lets not assume it was directed at a LBS business. Could be a dress shop for males. Don't read beyond the point to make yourself overly sensitive.
Old 04-20-21, 09:11 AM
cyccommute 

Lets not assume it was directed at a LBS business. Could be a dress shop for males. Don't read beyond the point to make yourself overly sensitive.
Then why not say “a random person”? Don’t post in a manner that can be interpreted as being sexist. I read nothing into your post other than what you put there.

Old 04-20-21, 09:24 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
...so are "whatsit", "thingamabob", and "thingy" also to be considered unacceptable ? This is where I come to learn this stuff.
Old 04-20-21, 09:40 AM
cxwrench

Not absolutely sure but I think 'dimdogger' might be ok.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-20-21, 04:38 PM
Troul 

Simply not reading my post, not responding to my post is just as effective as not assuming. Do not direct my way of language because you are not willing to accept a different culture.
Old 04-20-21, 04:46 PM
cyccommute 

Simply not reading my post, not responding to my post is just as effective as not assuming.
I read your post. Your meaning is quite clear. Like I said, if you have used “random person”, there would have been no problem. Saying “random female” says something else entirely.

Do not direct my way of language because you are not willing to accept a different culture.
Odd, this isn’t in your post as it appears on the page when I quoted it. But, frankly, I don’t care what “culture” you come from. Denigrating people because they are female is wrong.

Last edited by cyccommute; 04-20-21 at 04:57 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-20-21, 04:55 PM
Troul 

you're choosing to interpret my words with how they align to your feelings. I have no problem in you doing so as long as you do not infringe to my harmless intent. Do take me the wrong way, I'll still waive at ya when out riding.
Old 04-20-21, 05:29 PM
cyccommute 

you're choosing to interpret my words with how they align to your feelings. I have no problem in you doing so as long as you do not infringe to my harmless intent. Do take me the wrong way, I'll still waive at ya when out riding.
I’m not “interpreting” your words. You posted those exact words and the context is quite clear. If you think your intent is harmless, you are deluding yourself.

Here’s a test: read your exact words to any given female in your life and see how they feel about your “harmless intent”.

Likes For cyccommute:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.