Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-21, 08:13 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
You mean this one ?

How do you know its from the Helix factory ?
Old 04-20-21, 09:00 AM
Graybayou

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Note the last picture. Unfinished titanium main frame triangles identical to Helix and smallish looking wheels with Alfine hubs on a rack. In Toronto.
Old 04-20-21, 10:17 AM
Graybayou

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bet anyone with access to the customer portal would be able to verify the machine.
Old 04-20-21, 12:28 PM
Jipe

Originally Posted by Graybayou
Note the last picture. Unfinished titanium main frame triangles identical to Helix and smallish looking wheels with Alfine hubs on a rack. In Toronto.
You are right, I didn't notice that !

Could it be that they replace by a better one ?

Old 04-21-21, 11:00 AM
DigDub

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got the Kojak tires and they work nicely with the Helix.

//i.imgur.com/bxB0Po7.jpg[
Old 04-21-21, 12:15 PM
mkatz

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DigDub
Got the Kojak tires and they work nicely with the Helix.

//i.imgur.com/bxB0Po7.jpg[
Which Kojak tires? the "slicks"?
Old 04-21-21, 03:14 PM
Jipe

The Schwalbe Kojak was previously available in ETRTO507. Unfortunately, Schwalbe discontinued the Kojak in this wheel size.

I suppose that the one DigDub found were a new old stock ?
Old 04-21-21, 07:48 PM
DigDub

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mkatz
Which Kojak tires? the "slicks"?
yes, the slick Kojak tires. Rolls faster than the Kenda Kwest and is much easier to clean. The Kenda Kwest gets mud and little stones stuck in its treads,
Old 04-21-21, 07:50 PM
DigDub

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jipe
The Schwalbe Kojak was previously available in ETRTO507. Unfortunately, Schwalbe discontinued the Kojak in this wheel size.

I suppose that the one DigDub found were a new old stock ?
oh, I didn't know they were discontinued. Maybe I should get a few more then.
Old 04-21-21, 09:51 PM
mkatz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My ideal tire would be flat resistant, lightweight and suitable for concrete, asphalt and "fire roads (typically dirt and/or gravel) and "comfortable". With the limited selection available for the Helix ETRTO 507 wheels, limited to a maximum diameter of 40mm/1.5", any thoughts? At my age I'm not as interested in speed as once I was; I just want a comfortable, relaxing ride without beating myself up or stopping to fix flats.
Old 04-24-21, 04:44 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
My ideal tire would be flat resistant, lightweight and suitable for concrete, asphalt and "fire roads (typically dirt and/or gravel) and "comfortable". With the limited selection available for the Helix ETRTO 507 wheels, limited to a maximum diameter of 40mm/1.5", any thoughts? At my age I'm not as interested in speed as once I was; I just want a comfortable, relaxing ride without beating myself up or stopping to fix flats.
Not sure if they're available in your Helix's 24" size, but after going through a spate of having unsatisfactory tyres mounted on my Swift folder as I was travelling around Europe, I bought a pair of Schwalbe Marathons in 406 size that pump up to 100psi from Box Bikes in Berlin. I was at first sceptical about them because I'd started the journey with Schwalbe Marathon Racers which I found sluggish and didn't have great puncture resistance, and at one point exasperated with these in a moment of madness I experimented with Schwalbe Kojaka which were so terrible I got a puncture riding back from the bike shop I bought them from in Nottingham England. But I looked at the 100psi Marathon tyres in the shop and their quality of construction impressed me, so I bought and mounted them then and there and they've been great ever since. Usually I wear components out quickly because I ride a lot, but I'm on my second year with these and many thousands of Kms with almost no punctures. This includes 6 months living 4.2km up a steep dry riverbed in the mountains of Granada province which I rode up and down daily. They feel pretty good on the road too. My Swift copes with unpaved track, but of course with its 20" wheels it's only truly excellent on paved roads, so I don't want a tyre that slows me down on the smooth.

Last edited by joey buzzard; 04-24-21 at 04:49 AM.
Old 04-24-21, 05:42 AM
Jipe

Yes, the Marathon Green are good tires. Marathon Mondial folding even better.

The Marathon Mondial doesn't exist in ETRTO507, the Marathon is 47x507 (like Marathon Plus), too wide for Helix.

That's the problem of Helix: most ETRTO507 tires are too wide for him !
Old 04-25-21, 07:41 PM
univega.duder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
DigDub Where did you find the Kojak tires? I've been looking for a pair but can't seem to find them. Do they inhibit the fold at all? Thanks!
Old 04-26-21, 03:19 AM
DigDub

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by univega.duder
DigDub Where did you find the Kojak tires? I've been looking for a pair but can't seem to find them. Do they inhibit the fold at all? Thanks!
I found them on a website in Malaysia, not sure if they ship to your country. So far they fold ok, Helix has the Kojak 507 listed as a compatible tire on their customer portal, that was why I bought them.

shopee.com.my/amp/SCHWALBE-24-1.50-TIRE-85PSI-40-507-WB12-96-i.218361196.7650389477
Likes For DigDub:
Old 05-10-21, 05:00 PM
mkatz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Helix rear wheel removal & re-installation: My Helix bike is due to be shipped in early June. As I waste time thinking about the problems that i might encounter (e.g., tire replacement, saddle angle adjustment, ...) I started to wonder about the mechanics of inner tube replacement when the inevitable un-patchable flat occurs during a ride (at night, in the rain, to make it worse). Replacing the front tube, of course, does not require wheel removal; the rear, of course, does. Given the use of a solid axle and the component that locks into the front wheel when the bike is folded, how difficult is it to remove the rear wheel? tools required? time required?

(Yes, the easy way would be to "Uber" home...)
Old 05-12-21, 03:58 AM
Jonesandrew

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Helix rear wheel removal & re-installation: My Helix bike is due to be shipped in early June. As I waste time thinking about the problems that i might encounter (e.g., tire replacement, saddle angle adjustment, ...) I started to wonder about the mechanics of inner tube replacement when the inevitable un-patchable flat occurs during a ride (at night, in the rain, to make it worse). Replacing the front tube, of course, does not require wheel removal; the rear, of course, does. Given the use of a solid axle and the component that locks into the front wheel when the bike is folded, how difficult is it to remove the rear wheel? tools required? time required?

(Yes, the easy way would be to "Uber" home...)
Hi mkatz, I think you've ordered the derailleur version, so with the bike upside down, the rear wheel pops out quite easily once the axle is fully withdrawn. Refitting is more of a challenge, it's tricky to align the disc with the brake caliper, hold back the derailleur and locate the hub ends into the drop outs all at once. My suggestion would be to do a couple of practice runs when you get the bike to get familiar with the task. No special tools are required. Time taken is longer than my Cannondale Topstone Carbon 105 which has a quick removal through axle system which allows wheel removal and refitting without complete removal of the axle. There are grooves in the axle which line up with slots in the drop outs which allow this.

Last edited by Jonesandrew; 05-12-21 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-12-21, 12:14 PM
mkatz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesandrew
Hi mkatz, I think you've ordered the derailleur version, so with the bike upside down, the rear wheel pops out quite easily once the axle is fully withdrawn. Refitting is more of a challenge, it's tricky to align the disc with the brake caliper, hold back the derailleur and locate the hub ends into the drop outs all at once. My suggestion would be to do a couple of practice runs when you get the bike to get familiar with the task. No special tools are required. Time taken is longer than my Cannondale Topstone Carbon 105 which has a quick removal through axle system which allows wheel removal and refitting without complete removal of the axle. There are grooves in the axle which line up with slots in the drop outs which allow this.

Thank you! I was afraid that the Helix rear had something similar to the indexed spring used by the front wheel.
Old 05-13-21, 03:13 AM
shi01

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder if the helix can fit 20in wheels like a mini velo.
Old 05-13-21, 04:28 AM
Jipe

Yes, like almost all bikes with disc brakes, its possible to mount smaller wheels.

It will of course have some side effects like placing the bottom bracket closer to the ground.

But moving from ETRTO507 to ETRTO406 should be possible (bottom bracket about 5cm lower with the same tire width, less if wider than 40mm ETRT406 tires fit). Moving to ETRTO451 should have less impact but the choice of tires in ETRTO451 is limited.

The problem with Helix is to find/make wheels that fit.

For the rear wheel, I understood its a standard 135mm wide hub with through axle so there are wheels and if not, its easy to build a rear wheel using standard components, hub, spokes, rim.

For the front wheel, its not easy because Helix uses a proprietary front hub, no wheels available excepted from Helix, no hub available excepted from Helix. If Helix doesn't want to sell separate front hub or front wheel, the only solution is to dismount the original front wheel and re-lace it with a smaller diameter rim.
Old 05-13-21, 08:52 AM
shi01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ah, thanks for replying. 20in on a helix will be a sure buy for me. Opens up to more aftermarket parts. Also loving the mini velo look,
Does it have a proprietary front hub? That will be a big turn off. What if it needs replacing?

Last edited by shi01; 05-13-21 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-13-21, 09:09 AM
shi01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
will a DT SWISS Front hub 240 EXP Classic 6-Hole 15x110 mm BOOST Thru Axle fit? a 20in carbon wheelset will be brilliant.
Old 05-13-21, 10:10 AM
Jipe

The front fork of Helix is a proprietary lefty single arm folding fork, as far as I know, it uses a proprietary front hub.

I do not think that a Cannondale Lefty front hub will be usable on Helix ?
Old 05-17-21, 03:29 AM
Jonesandrew

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
The front fork of Helix is a proprietary lefty single arm folding fork, as far as I know, it uses a proprietary front hub.

I do not think that a Cannondale Lefty front hub will be usable on Helix ?
Confirmed, I have a Cannondale Trigger and the lefty hub and axle will not fit my Helix. AFAIK the helix hub is totally unique, I've never seen anything else like it in 50 years of being around bikes.
Old 05-17-21, 03:35 AM
Jipe

So, excepted if somebody accepts to dismount its original ETRTO507 front wheel to reuse the hub, does Helix sell spare front hub ?
Old 05-17-21, 07:45 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1666 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,057 Posts
Originally Posted by shi01
I wonder if the helix can fit 20in wheels like a mini velo.
Just buy a Burke 20!

https://www.seattle-cycles.com/products

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.