Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How do I tell if my frame is bent?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 09:04 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts

A motorist drove into me Saturday. The bumper hit the left crank, bending it behind the stay. The front wheel is greatly bent. The rear looks okay. The frame isn't obviously bent. I have limited use of my left arm for a a while. Motorist ran a stop sign; I was in the intersection before s/he arrived at the intersection. S/he didn't slow down: the grill hit my legs, I fell onto the hood, slid up the windshield, flew up, landed on the pavement after s/he was gone. Motorist sped off. It's an Alù, 7005 Alloy, 'Easton Reaction' (alumin(i)um) frame I bought about 25 years ago, for about $200 from Nashbar. There's a fire station a block away; the fire-persons saved it for me.
Old 03-31-21, 09:11 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
A motorist drove into me Saturday. The bumper hit the left crank, bending it behind the stay. The front wheel is greatly bent. The rear looks okay. The frame isn't obviously bent. I have limited use of my left arm for a a while. Motorist ran a stop sign; I was in the intersection before s/he arrived at the intersection. S/he didn't slow down: the grill hit my legs, I fell onto the hood, slid up the windshield, flew up, landed on the pavement after s/he was gone. Motorist sped off. It's an Alù, 7005 Alloy, 'Easton Reaction' (alumin(i)um) frame I bought about 25 years ago, for about $200 from Nashbar. There's a fire station a block away; the fire-persons saved it for me.
OP,
I hope you are alright and hope you had someone take a look at you...from the description of the damage you already mentioned it would be safe to say that there might be more frame damage than is evident. Bending a crank and tacoing a wheel takes a lot of force...lbs will most likely say the same thing.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 03-31-21, 09:15 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Lawyer up fast.
Old 03-31-21, 10:36 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
I’m not going to address your accident. To check the frame, inspect it first to see that everything looks straight. If nothing looks really off, get a long piece of string (6 to 10 feet). Tie one end to the rear dropout, run the string up to the head tube, wrap it around the tube a couple of times and then back to the other dropout. Measure the distance on both sides of the seat tube. They should be close (less than 2mm is okay).

You can check the dropout and the fork with a fork alignment gauge. They are rather expensive but RJ The Bike Guy has a good, cheap home version

He shows the gauge being used on rear but it can also be used to assess the alignment of the front.

Since the bike is aluminum, don’t try to realign anything. This is for measurement purposes only. Aluminum doesn’t like being bent.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-01-21, 12:45 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I hope that you filed a police report, leaving the scene of a bodily injury accident is a pretty serious offense.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 04-01-21, 01:03 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Have you checked with your insurance agent to see home owner, auto or some other policy you have covers the bike?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-01-21, 03:34 PM
Arthur Peabody

Originally Posted by Bmach
Lawyer up fast.
How do I do that? A bunch of lawyers advertise on billboards and TV - I don't want to hire any of them.

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
I hope you are alright and hope you had someone take a look at you
The left arm was out of the shoulder socket so I couldn't do anything but lie there. Fortunately passersby protected me from the other motorists in a hurry and called 911. The physicians at the ED reduced the dislocation and I spent the night. They didn't want me to go home the next day, had to leave against their wishes, but walked the 2.5 miles home. I have huge bruises on both legs, a number of smaller injuries.

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
...from the description of the damage you already mentioned it would be safe to say that there might be more frame damage than is evident. Bending a crank and tacoing a wheel takes a lot of force...lbs will most likely say the same thing.
I was asking if they could measure it. I built the bicycle, have built all my wheels, but can't fix a frame. I'd hate to build a new wheel and put on new parts if I have to replace the frame.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Since the bike is aluminum, don’t try to realign anything. This is for measurement purposes only. Aluminum doesn’t like being bent.
Yes. If it's bent there's no hope. It has a few dents in it that don't seem to have compromised it. I used to ride 6K/year, have put >100K on this frame, some of that heavily-loaded.

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I hope that you filed a police report, leaving the scene of a bodily injury accident is a pretty serious offense.
A policeman talked to me while the EMTs were securing me in the ambulance. I'll have to follow up.

Originally Posted by Iride01
Have you checked with your insurance agent to see home owner, auto or some other policy you have covers the bike?
I have no insurance for this kind of thing. Instead I have the money I didn't spend on insurance premiums and the tools and know-how to make my own repairs. I spray random swatches of paint whenever I have to paint my pickup or kitchen appliances so it looks crummy. I paid $500 for it 30 years ago, have replaced the frame once, everything but the handlebar stem at least once, so it'd be hard to convince anyone it was worth much. At an average of $223/year (tires, tubes, chains, derailleurs...) I've spend $6,700 on it.
Old 04-01-21, 03:58 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
How do I do that? A bunch of lawyers advertise on billboards and TV - I don't want to hire any of them.

The left arm was out of the shoulder socket so I couldn't do anything but lie there. Fortunately passersby protected me from the other motorists in a hurry and called 911. The physicians at the ED reduced the dislocation and I spent the night. They didn't want me to go home the next day, had to leave against their wishes, but walked the 2.5 miles home. I have huge bruises on both legs, a number of smaller injuries.

I was asking if they could measure it. I built the bicycle, have built all my wheels, but can't fix a frame. I'd hate to build a new wheel and put on new parts if I have to replace the frame.

Yes. If it's bent there's no hope. It has a few dents in it that don't seem to have compromised it. I used to ride 6K/year, have put >100K on this frame, some of that heavily-loaded.

A policeman talked to me while the EMTs were securing me in the ambulance. I'll have to follow up.

I have no insurance for this kind of thing. Instead I have the money I didn't spend on insurance premiums and the tools and know-how to make my own repairs. I spray random swatches of paint whenever I have to paint my pickup or kitchen appliances so it looks crummy. I paid $500 for it 30 years ago, have replaced the frame once, everything but the handlebar stem at least once, so it'd be hard to convince anyone it was worth much. At an average of $223/year (tires, tubes, chains, derailleurs...) I've spend $6,700 on it.
Yes it can be checked at a local bicycle shop....you can do a simple test yourself
https://www.google.com/search?q=chec...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 04-01-21, 04:36 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Framebuilders These guys should also know if none of them have already shown up here. I'd think those that brazed tubes together to build bikes will have all sorts of easy methods and tricks to check alignment of frame parts.
Old 04-01-21, 09:31 PM
Bmach

If you have auto insurance you might get everything covered by your PIP coverage. That is why you need a lawyer your insurance company does not work for you. Ask around for some info on personal injury lawyers.
Old 04-01-21, 09:47 PM
reoc01

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can tell if your frame is not aligned specially on the rear triangle is when you freehand “riding while not on grip with the handlebar” and you cant ride straight and it’s like you are goin to crash.
Old 04-01-21, 10:17 PM
Arthur Peabody

Originally Posted by Bmach
If you have auto insurance you might get everything covered by your PIP coverage.
For my '87 Toyota pickup? har. I have liability only. I also do all the work on it.

Originally Posted by reoc01
You can tell if your frame is not aligned specially on the rear triangle is when you freehand “riding while not on grip with the handlebar” and you cant ride straight and it’s like you are goin to crash.
The front wheel is unusable. If the frame is crooked I don't want to buy a new front wheel for this frame.
Old 04-02-21, 09:59 AM
Bmach

Look I am just trying to help you. In some states pip is required others it is not. At the very least check and see if you have it. But you sound like you know everything so you should be all set.
Old 04-02-21, 02:17 PM
Arthur Peabody

5mm too much? 35 on one side, 40 on the other.
Old 04-02-21, 04:31 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
5mm too much? 35 on one side, 40 on the other.
Park Tool says within 2mm for their alignment tool. Your wheel is going to sit 2.5mm off of center. Iffy but probably ridable.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-03-21, 08:22 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
One of the easiest and quickest bent frame tests is the string test. Remover the real wheel and run a string from the right dropout up around the headset and back to the left dropout. The measure the distance from the string on both sides to the down tube. It if course should be the same distance.
Old 04-03-21, 09:37 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Every bike shop I've worked for has done free collision damage estimates. They have tools and techniques for determining frame alignment, and a shop estimate gives authority to your negotiations with the insurance adjuster. Use one.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 04-04-21, 09:55 PM
Arthur Peabody

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Park Tool says within 2mm for their alignment tool. Your wheel is going to sit 2.5mm off of center. Iffy but probably ridable.
How does that compare? It measures each side separately, so would a string test measure 4?
Old 04-04-21, 10:44 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
I dislike commenting on these frame issue posts as I am out of sync. If it is an important frame to you get it done by someone with a frame table, hopefully so you done't have to ship.

Last edited by easyupbug; 04-05-21 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-09-21, 09:48 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts

Sometimes such coverage and even medical is included on your car insurance, homeowners, or renters. Have a job? Can the Human Resources suggest how you can screen lawyers? Is there a local Bar Association ("Bar" meaning lawyers, not, well, the obvious!)? Should be some kind of legal resources protection service for your state. Lawyers are licensed by your state, if not at the bars.

Aluminum frames once cold set are said to be not correctable, unlike steel. You are probably headed for a replacement frame.

If you could find what bar the best barristers drink at, you could go and sponsor a few rounds ... ​​​​​​​

Last edited by Road Fan; 04-09-21 at 09:53 AM.