Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Carradice SQR Tour or Slim for Commuting ?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 09-13-06, 01:44 PM
Vt-hills

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, I am looking at the Carradice SQR bags to replace my current backpack and trunk bag combo. Does anyone use these and which is the best size for carrying clothes, tools, and lunch. I want something big enough to carry my stuff, but not too big.

Bags : https://www.wallbike.com/carradice/sqrbags.html

Bike has rear discs and I have a seatpost rack already, just don't want to do the saddlebag thing.

Thanks for any info
Chris in VT
Old 09-13-06, 02:22 PM
GTcommuter
Easily distracted...

Bikes: Surley Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using a Super C saddlebag most of the summer. In terms of quality, Carradice bags are excellent. Very well made and very functional. I rode around for about an hour in rain last night and the inside of my bag was perfectly dry when I got home.

I haven't seen or used the SQR bags but both are slightly smaller than mine. The size is very functional. I don't have to worry about cramming stuff, picking up groceries, or running most errands. I have seen the SQR release system on some other bags and it works well. I'm debating adding that to mine to make it quick releasee. Final word: I've been really happy with my Carradice and I would bet that the SQR bags perform just as well.
Old 09-13-06, 04:12 PM
parsnip_boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an SQL slim. I like it a lot. It can hold papers without folding them and a laptop which, as far as I could tell, no other seatpost mounted bag can do. The papers can get a little mangled if I'm not careful loading the bag though.

It also probably can't hold quite as much as an average backback, but it is big enough for me.

Highly recommended.
Old 09-13-06, 04:23 PM
SV Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have also used a SQR Slim for three years and love it. It's the only bag I know of wide enough for a laptop computer, if that's important to you. Otherwise, it's largely a matter of whether you want the side pockets or not as both are supposed to be the same capacity. I used the D-rings to attach my wedge bag with my spare tube and bike tools to the top of the SQR bag, so it sits just behind the saddle; if I'm riding without the SQR bag I remove the wedge from the SQR bag and attach to my seat.

Re: papers getting mangled, just put them in a manilla folder, flat envelope or something before putting in the SQR bag.

Oh, and I attach my Cateye TD-1000 to the back of the bag, like they show for the Tour bag on the webpage.
Old 09-14-06, 08:13 AM
Vt-hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's the most you have fit in the SQR Slim ? i.e. clothes, food, tools etc ? So far everything I'm hearing is good, I won't be carrying a laptop so I guess the Tour would be the same size. Does the Slim have a carrying handle or shoulder strap ?

Thanks for all the feedback.
Chris in Vt
Old 09-14-06, 10:13 AM
SV Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry a full change of clothes and shoes, towel, toiletries (I shower at work), and have room for snacks or a lunch. Actually I have kept a spare pare of shoes at work for a long time now so I don't carry shoes any more. Or from other experience, it holds two dozen bagels ;-)
Old 09-14-06, 11:04 PM
Heraclitus

Bikes: Raleigh fixed conversion, Litespeed Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the SQR tour. It has a handle and two sturdy "D" rings on the top that I clip a shoulder strap onto - which is very useful for toting it around when off the bike.

When commuting to work my most common load is a pair of slacks (rolled), a folded or rolled t-shirt, a pressed and folded dress shirt, socks, a belt, boxer shorts, two sandwiches, and maybe a banana or an apple. With all of that it is fairly full. The shape of the bag is such that the dress shirt slides in diagonally from one of the top corners to the bottom corner on the opposite side, then I pack the other stuff around it to keep it supported and pretty flat. If I didn't have the dress shirt, or didn't want to keep things as neat I could probably stuff a little more in.

It also has two side pockets that clip shut - on one side I keep my tool pouch (the kind that clips under the seat normally), the other side holds my lights - and/or gloves or whatever other small stuff I might want to stick in there. And inside it has a small velcro pouch that is handy for keeping keys, phone, wallet, or anything you prefer not to have packed loose with whatever other bulky stuff is there.

I am very happy with it. It is convenient for carrying stuff, and also convenient to leave behind if you do not want to carry stuff. Maybe a little pricey, but is seems to be well made out of very durable canvas.
Old 09-18-06, 08:29 AM
Vt-hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks SV Commuter and Heraclitus for the added info, sounds like I will go with the Tour bag, it holds just what I carry and I like the extra outsideside pockets. Can't wait to ditch the ole backpack !

Any recommends on where to buy this bag ?

THanks again for great feedback, this forum is awesome support for bike commuters since we appear to be a somewhat overlooked niche in the bike world.

Chris in Vt
Old 09-18-06, 11:30 AM
SV Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought mine directly from www.carradice.co.uk, and they shouldn't charge VAT for shipments to the US. There are very few US dealers, you can get a list of dealers at www.carradice.co.uk/stockists.htm.
Old 09-22-06, 09:58 AM
Vt-hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks SV Commuter, looks like Peter White cycles has them in stock...

Thanks again for all the feedback...
Old 04-12-21, 10:15 AM
drewfio

Bikes: Mostly 80's Japanese built road and touring bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 25 Posts
Reviving a thread...

I had a question about the difference between the tour and the slim. It sounds like they have the same capacity, but what I couldn't tell is—does that mean the main compartments are the same capacity, with additional outside pockets on the tour? Or is the capacity on the tour including the pockets and then added to a smaller main compartment capacity to achieve the same over all capacity as the slim? I hope that makes sense. Thanks!
Old 06-04-21, 01:10 AM
SamyilLoset

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello. Where can I find running bags? Preferably good and strong.