Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Preventing Resistance Belt Slippage on Trainer?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-16, 01:27 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts

Any idea how to prevent belt-slippage on a belt leading from rollers to resistance fan? It's the little orange belt ahead of the front wheel, ("Headwind").

Old picture from a build project.

Anytime I sprint over ~700W, the speed & cadence continues to rise, but the wattage decreases, making me believe the belt is slipping. It's a fresh belt with less than 1000 miles on it, and I've tried cleaning the belt and pulley with a wet rag and drying it.
Make the belt or pulley stickier? Less smooth? Any other ideas?
Old 09-06-16, 02:51 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
As a musician, my first thought was this stuff. Violinists use blocks of it on their bows to give the horse hair "tooth," And is used as a "tackifier" for many other things. (tennis, apparently) Probably would be a little messy, in that it would shed some powder, but it's non-toxic and not sticky for easy cleanup. I bet it would work well, and you probably wouldn't have to use much.

[EDIT: Oh, duh, I bet automotive belt dressing would work, too. Don't know how toxic is might be for indoor use, though.]

Last edited by Wheever; 09-06-16 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-06-16, 03:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Automobile V belt dressing There should be a Product data sheet online listing what is in it.

Maybe a shorter belt? drum have a groove for a second belt on the other end?
Old 09-06-16, 03:10 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
i'd be CLOSELY inspecting the belt and/or pulleys... i spent way too many years working on various machines that utilize belts... once the sides of the belt no longer contacts the walls of the pulley grooves tightly, you must REPLACE the belt to prevent slippage... Tighten the worn out belt, and it just slips less, then begins slipping even more, and pulley wear rate increases too... typically, if a V-type belt isn't high enough in the V pulley to stick up out of the V on the pulley, it's shot, or nearly so. Be aware, there ARE different V belt angles, too, so verify the new belt is CORRECTLY DESIGNED for the pulleys involved.
there is one other thing to consider... "Aerodynamic lock"... similar in nature to hydraulic lock... you may be exceeding the limits of airflow through the fan when you spin up to warp 9..........
Old 09-06-16, 04:35 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. Guess I'll order a spare belt and use this one to experiment with tackiness solutions.

I've read a few complaints about the noisiness of these Kreitler "Killer Headwind" fans, but I've found that coating the outside surface areas with adhesive foam pads (which ordinarily coat the inside of plastic motorcycle fairings, to contain the mechanical noise) does a nice job of quieting things down. And it's pretty neat--the harder you pedal, the more cooling air blows on you.
Old 09-06-16, 08:53 PM
OshkoshBiker

Bikes: DB Haanjo Comp, Trek 1.2, Murray MTB, Framed Minnesota 2.0, Top Fuel 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Alcohol can take the gloss off of a rubber belt.
Old 09-06-16, 09:30 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
At one time Kreitler published the power draw of their Headwind systems. This was in the early years of trainers. I don't remember the specs but I wonder if 700 watts is towards the max lever intended. I also remember back then that there was some talk about the belt's ability to drive high levels of power.

But this brings up the question as to the best purpose of a set of rollers. Us old timers never viewed rollers as a power training device to start with.

I will agree about the noise though. Andy.
Old 09-13-16, 05:57 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Thanks very much again for the responses. Turns out the belt is indeed not slipping at all. It's mostly likely the hydrodynamic lock you mention Maddog. As soon as I noticed how well the belt actually grips the pulley, I experimented with the intake aperture on the fan, and the more open the intake, the higher (slightly) watts it will attain before "slipping"--it can only move so much air at once.
I've had these Kreitlers nearly a decade, but have only recently started riding track and haven't needed to spend much time above 400 watts before this.
Guess I'll have to quit slacking & get out to take advantage our our famous weather more often.
Thanks again and ride safely!