Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Gary Fisher Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-04, 01:30 PM
mrdoright0405

Bikes: Upgraded Wally World Speacial.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gary Fisher Bikes

Any Good?
Old 06-13-04, 01:47 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Yessir.
Old 06-13-04, 01:51 PM
seely
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
They're ok... I dont think they are a particularly good value for the money, and a few models fit kind of wierd (Cake comes to mind... very high toptube for an "all mountain" bike) other models tend to have a longer wheelbase/toptube so if you're tall they may fit you better.
Old 06-13-04, 03:32 PM
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fisher, Ritchey, Breeze, Brodie > Famous mtb builders\ innovators\ designers.

Some models are better than others..kinda into the exotics, and as Seely pointed out, money shots.

( I'd buy one.)

https://www.firstflightbikes.com/gary.htm
Old 06-13-04, 06:35 PM
J-McKech
What?

Bikes: Bianchi Brava(retired), Surly Instigator(retired)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a gary fisher basic hardtail (tarpon). I love it and it gets the job done. I would say the base model is comp with every other base model bike out there.
Old 06-13-04, 09:32 PM
Mtn Mike
Super Biker

Bikes: 2014 Curtlo, 2006 Serotta Coeur d’Acier, 2005 Independent Fabrication Steel Delux, 2003 Surly 1x1, 2003 Surly Cross Check, 1986 Schwin Worldsport SS commuter, 1980's Mongoose Supergoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've owned a 2001 Paragon, and now a 2004 Zigarat. The Fisher geometry fits me well. Fisher calls it Genesis geometry, but that's not to say you couldn't buy another brand with similar geometry.

The ZR 9000 frames are lightweight, and handle well, but are apparently, not that strong. I am now on my 3rd warrantee frame .

The good news: my Fisher frame has a lifetime warrantee. The bad news; they're made to be light, not strong.

Overall, I do like the bike, but I think I'm just too abusive for lightweight, racing aluminum. Ultimately I'm planning to get a custom-made steel frame, made to the exact geometry of my Fisher, now that will be a sweet bike.
Old 06-13-04, 10:40 PM
seely
The Rabbi

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mtn Mike... before you get one made to the exact geometry I would try a few other bikes...

When I had my Kona I thought that bike fit me perfectly (very similar to Fischer geometry). I used to have trouble with some climbs and technical section but attributed that to my relative inexperience. I had that bike for 3 years and always told everyone how great it fit, handled, etc. Fast forward to now, and I got a Specialized Stumpjumper (also a HT), took it out and on the 2nd or 3rd ride on it after getting used to it a bit, I COMPLETELY cleared technical loops and climbs I had NEVER cleared on the Kona.

So what I'm saying is you don't really know its the perfect fit until you try something else necessarily. If you have tried other stuff or are just satisfied with the performance as is go for it, but keep in mind Fisher like any company comprimises in some areas on the geometry, its a given, so just make sure those compromises are areas you don't mind compromising a bit on.
Old 06-13-04, 10:52 PM
Mtn Mike
Super Biker

Bikes: 2014 Curtlo, 2006 Serotta Coeur d’Acier, 2005 Independent Fabrication Steel Delux, 2003 Surly 1x1, 2003 Surly Cross Check, 1986 Schwin Worldsport SS commuter, 1980's Mongoose Supergoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seely
Mtn Mike... before you get one made to the exact geometry I would try a few other bikes...

When I had my Kona I thought that bike fit me perfectly (very similar to Fischer geometry). I used to have trouble with some climbs and technical section but attributed that to my relative inexperience. I had that bike for 3 years and always told everyone how great it fit, handled, etc. Fast forward to now, and I got a Specialized Stumpjumper (also a HT), took it out and on the 2nd or 3rd ride on it after getting used to it a bit, I COMPLETELY cleared technical loops and climbs I had NEVER cleared on the Kona.

So what I'm saying is you don't really know its the perfect fit until you try something else necessarily. If you have tried other stuff or are just satisfied with the performance as is go for it, but keep in mind Fisher like any company comprimises in some areas on the geometry, its a given, so just make sure those compromises are areas you don't mind compromising a bit on.
This is true. I suppose there could be other geometry options that would also work well. I'm planning to have some measurements taken on my LBS fit system before ordering the frame. I will also talk to the frame designer about different recommendations for the type of riding I do. What I was saying was, that of all the mountain bikes I've tried, I like the "genesis" geometry the best.
Old 06-14-04, 12:02 AM
mrdoright0405

Bikes: Upgraded Wally World Speacial.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are made by Trek right?
Old 06-14-04, 12:15 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdoright0405
They are made by Trek right?
Trek and Gary Fisher are parts of the same company.
Old 06-15-04, 10:42 AM
markm109

Bikes: '03 Litespeed Blue Ridge; '15 Litespeed T5; '17 Jamis Renegade Exploit; '17 Salsa Fargo 27.5+

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a '01 Gary Fisher Tassajara new a few years ago. For the money it was better equipped than the Trek for the same price. I don't know if that is still true today.

Mark
Old 04-13-05, 08:29 AM
.Z.
Keep on spinning!

Bikes: 2005 Kona Jake the snake cyclocross. Gary Fisher Prometheus MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But he is a cool guy!
Old 04-13-05, 09:12 AM
slooney

Bikes: Trek 930 mutt (beater) Gary Fisher '98 Paragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a GF Paragon also ('98-99?) which I bought with the specific intent of having for a long time. I rode many bikes before buying this one, and this bike was the most fun to ride- I like being somewhat stretched out. It's been awesome. No complaints.

I'd love to augment with a softail, and if I'm ever in the position to justify it, I'll seriously consider another Fisher.