Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What in the name of god is wrong with you people????

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What in the name of god is wrong with you people????

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 04:58 PM
oldmixte

Bikes: Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
try this...

I hesitate to suggest this, because most likely none of you really wants to be cured, but here's what I do: work at the local bike coop. We have huge numbers of bikes, and more come in every week. It's very satisfying and doesn't clutter up my garage (where I only have, let's see, my commuter, my road bike, my kid's road bike, my partner's old Raleigh, my old Motobecane mixte from the thrift store, a tandem and a kid's '40s Schwinn...)
Old 07-30-10, 05:08 PM
tugrul

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by oldmixte
I hesitate to suggest this, because most likely none of you really wants to be cured, but here's what I do: work at the local bike coop.
I did the reverse... I moved from a city with a co-op to a town without one. And thus began the descent...
Old 07-30-10, 05:17 PM
Keep SA Lame
Retro Dork

Bikes: Cherry '81 Schwinn Le Tour, '07 Gary Fisher MTB and a bianchi road something or other

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just spent $20 on Meguire's cleaner wax, some micro-fiber towels and applicators pads....

and I've never waxed my truck.
Old 07-30-10, 05:34 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
well whatever you call it #15 touched down on my porch today

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-30-10, 05:45 PM
gurry

Bikes: 1987 bianchi campione d'italia, 1970's eatons glider, 1990's hybrid, 1992 trek antelope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After owning only one bike at a time since forever, I thought it would be fun to attend a police auction...
Old 07-30-10, 05:45 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
No problem here.....and welcome.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-24-20 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-30-10, 05:46 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by David Newton
Sick-os, all of you. Need professional help.
I'm MUCH better now...(John Astin on Night Court)

These were only the RIDABLE bikes, btw! There were more..

Last edited by Bikedued; 07-30-10 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-30-10, 05:59 PM
atmdad
Oh Snap, not again...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Gawd man, Right crank forward and horizontal, chain on front big ring and back small ring. Get your pictures correct!

I need to direct my wife to this thread tonight, she's been nagging about the 10 bikes and the couple of boxes of assorted parts filling MY garage. All but 1 is rideable and two are even hers. sheesh
Old 07-30-10, 06:46 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
The way to partially cure the disease is to fix one up so that it's a club rider and ride it on Saturday. It cut down my acquisition problem to a point where I can manage it. But there is no doubt that when I do get to go to yard sales, I buy everything I can. THe problem around here is, we're up to five or six bike flippers. Most are flipping Magnas and Roadmasters, one or two are flipping nice vintage bikes.
EDIT: I'm on a bike diet now, down to around 55 of which at least 50 are rideable. Robbie won't recognize the basement, you can actually walk to the rear now.
Old 07-30-10, 07:18 PM
Oscuro

Bikes: LHT, International, 310

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm new, and broke...so I only have 3.

When I get a job again, I know I am going to be in trouble. Need to get a repair stand and more tools first however....
Old 07-30-10, 07:18 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
You’re lying awake, unable to sleep because you know someone, somewhere is selling a vintage bike for a pittance. You get up silently, sneak off to your computer, make the coffee, and call up CL to peruse the bikes, hitting the refresh button incessantly, hoping that something will pop. Your wife finds you the next morning slumped over the keyboard.

You’re late for work – you blame it on your 6-year-old son, saying he was sick all over the place last night, but your associates all know you son is 23 and in graduate school 500 miles away.

You’re in a meeting with an important customer – your mind wanders. You can’t focus on anything and all you can think about is bikes, bikes, bikes. “What am I doing?” You ask yourself. “- I must be losing it altogether – sitting here, when out there, my grail bike awaits me!” - You suddenly lunge across the conference table, grab the customer by her neck and throttle her, screaming out “You’re trying to make me lose it!”

After 34 years of service, Security walks you out, and you spend the rest of day scouring thrift shops and garage sales – more than a few, and a few after hours, alone.

It’s after midnight. You’re walking into the house- there are bikes everywhere. You hear some rustling and some gentle swearing as your wife weaves her way through a mass of down tubes, top tubes, and cable housing. She says “Honey, I have something to tell you: I’m leaving.” “HOT DIGGITY!” You exclaim. “Room for one more bike!”

If this sounds like you, then you must admit you have a problem. Only an addict with a serious caffeine problem would make coffee in the middle of the night.
Old 07-30-10, 07:24 PM
adgmobile

Bikes: old ten speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL, just aqquired two old raleigh three speeds that need tlc, have two ten speeds though one is on loan to a friend and it is a toy/junk type from a no name, but i find myself wanting to buy everything on craigslist. hell, i spend more time on the bikes section than any other web site. I know how you guys feel, but i don't understand why, I want them ALL. If it wasn't for the lack of money i would probably have about 50.
Old 07-30-10, 07:25 PM
Keep SA Lame
Retro Dork

Bikes: Cherry '81 Schwinn Le Tour, '07 Gary Fisher MTB and a bianchi road something or other

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
The way to partially cure the disease is to fix one up so that it's a club rider and ride it on Saturday. It cut down my acquisition problem to a point where I can manage it. But there is no doubt that when I do get to go to yard sales, I buy everything I can. THe problem around here is, we're up to five or six bike flippers. Most are flipping Magnas and Roadmasters, one or two are flipping nice vintage bikes.
EDIT: I'm on a bike diet now, down to around 55 of which at least 50 are rideable. Robbie won't recognize the basement, you can actually walk to the rear now.

A club rider??

what's that?

I don't have one of those... do I need to get one??
Old 07-30-10, 07:32 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Hey Keep SAL, great thread. Welcome to the forum! I honestly don't know how many bikes I have. I maintain a fiction that I have a bike for each of a number of different purposes; though when it comes right down to it I have redundant bikes, useless bikes, and bikes I just like... it's hard to explain. Much easier to explain to my wife "but I just sold one!" She knows that's true, I made her take it to the UPS office for me.....
Old 07-30-10, 07:58 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by cinco
I appear to have the same affliction: 6 guitars, 2 mandolins, 2 banjos *shudder*, a violin, and a piano. Do I really need to mention that I don't have a girlfriend?
No, it was redundant as soon as you mentioned the banjos.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 07-30-10, 08:31 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I had almost 50 once. I had to take 6 kids bikes to get at this nice Varsity that was at the bottom of the pile. The Varsity had everything. Lights, rack, shiny yellow paint. I gave a bike to every kid inthe neighborhood that summer.
I moved to a place with a smaller basement. I had to narrow it down to my 16 favorite.
Old 07-30-10, 08:53 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
You’re lying awake, unable to sleep because you know someone, somewhere is selling a vintage bike for a pittance. You get up silently, sneak off to your computer, make the coffee, and call up CL to peruse the bikes, hitting the refresh button incessantly, hoping that something will pop. Your wife finds you the next morning slumped over the keyboard.

You’re late for work – you blame it on your 6-year-old son, saying he was sick all over the place last night, but your associates all know you son is 23 and in graduate school 500 miles away.

You’re in a meeting with an important customer – your mind wanders. You can’t focus on anything and all you can think about is bikes, bikes, bikes. “What am I doing?” You ask yourself. “- I must be losing it altogether – sitting here, when out there, my grail bike awaits me!” - You suddenly lunge across the conference table, grab the customer by her neck and throttle her, screaming out “You’re trying to make me lose it!”

After 34 years of service, Security walks you out, and you spend the rest of day scouring thrift shops and garage sales – more than a few, and a few after hours, alone.

It’s after midnight. You’re walking into the house- there are bikes everywhere. You hear some rustling and some gentle swearing as your wife weaves her way through a mass of down tubes, top tubes, and cable housing. She says “Honey, I have something to tell you: I’m leaving.” “HOT DIGGITY!” You exclaim. “Room for one more bike!”

If this sounds like you, then you must admit you have a problem. Only an addict with a serious caffeine problem would make coffee in the middle of the night.
Yes, that's me.

It used to be a "problem." Now my wife is up to 3 bikes.... (Evil grin)

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 07-30-10 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-30-10, 09:55 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow

Wow, that was extremely hilarious (and scarily accurate).

I used to have this problem with vintage musical instruments (mostly organs and synthesizers, muscle and sports cars, audio equipment, and more. To this day, there several varieties of gear that I can spot from a 1/4 mile away, in a moving car... at night.

Three years later, I'm now a minimalist. Life is simpler, and I am content. Why, I can even have healthy relationships, now!
Old 07-30-10, 10:04 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cinco
20 in the attic, 11 in the garage, 3 in the hallway, 3 in the kitchen, 6 in the living room, 4 in the bedroom. But... NONE in the bathroom!

I think you're going to be in trouble.

I appear to have the same affliction: 6 guitars, 2 mandolins, 2 banjos *shudder*, a violin, and a piano. Do I really need to mention that I don't have a girlfriend?
When I had it at it's worst, I had 31 keyboards (9 organs, 2 pianos, the rest were vintage synths), 3 guitars, a banjo, a trombone, autoharp, harmonicas, and lot's effects.
Old 07-30-10, 10:27 PM
vintage2wheeler

Bikes: HIGH NELLY: 1972 Raleigh Sports. Showroom quality, from Craiglist this summer for same price I paid for my coffee brown model in 1972! Original Raleigh tires, saddle, & brakes (yikes!). Air pump never used. The Gods of 3-Speed are watching over me...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well...I can see where I'm headed. Bought 2 this weekend after 25 year hiatus. Looking on ebay and craiglist for more. It's scary.
Old 07-30-10, 10:27 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by rat fink
When I had it at it's worst, I had 31 keyboards (9 organs, 2 pianos, the rest were vintage synths), 3 guitars, a banjo, a trombone, autoharp, harmonicas, and lot's effects.
Can you get me a good deal on a Roland JP-6?

-Kurt

Old 07-30-10, 10:51 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
The problem is not that there is anything wrong with us.

The truth is...we breed.
Old 07-30-10, 11:07 PM
3373jones

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i bought my first road bike last summer. got hooked on vintage last fall. I currently have 6 - not too bad... 2 more on the way.

i have the most fun shopping for friends (we're all grad students) who know nothing about bikes, but through my excitement want to get into it - they give me a budget and I get to spend their money buying the bust deal i can find. i've helped 5 of my friends get road bikes - none had one before. most of the deals end up being awesome flippers, but i'd rather see their faces light up and feel good about getting them a good deal. every single one of them got a very good deal well below street value. of course, the "killer" deals usually end up with me.
Old 07-30-10, 11:26 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I tend to keep it around 2 or 3.
Old 07-30-10, 11:29 PM
CMC SanDiego

Bikes: Too many to list, all titanium or steel.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 3373jones
i bought my first road bike last summer. got hooked on vintage last fall. I currently have 6 - not too bad... 2 more on the way.

i have the most fun shopping for friends (we're all grad students) who know nothing about bikes, but through my excitement want to get into it - they give me a budget and I get to spend their money buying the bust deal i can find. i've helped 5 of my friends get road bikes - none had one before. most of the deals end up being awesome flippers, but i'd rather see their faces light up and feel good about getting them a good deal. every single one of them got a very good deal well below street value. of course, the "killer" deals usually end up with me.
I've been an addict for a about 18 months now, and started riding at lunchtime at work as a stress reliever. I have brought in at least 4 friend/coworker converts by "finding" them a screaming vintage steel deal they couldn't pass on (those that they could pass on got flipped for a profit by me). They are slowly spreading the disease to their family and friends.....Now when I want to go for a lunchtime ride at work, there is almost always someone to ride with me, and several of them are commuting regularly now as well.
My wife just walked past the computer and noticed the all-to-familiar Bike Forums logo and commented that I could have worse habits than being hooked on "bike porn".
CMC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.