Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Panola Mountain trail, Alexander Lake Loop

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-17, 06:38 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts

Went back out to Panola Mountain for the first time in several years. It was a beautiful day with rain projected for the next couple of weeks, so the wife decided she wanted to go there again. I tried to remind her how hilly it was, and how little she had been riding....

The park was really busy, which is great to see. The lot we parked in had a family reunion and fish fry ongoing. We overshot the actual trail lot and didn't feel like pulling back to it. We rode through the park first and saw a couple of other cyclists who headed up the trial just before us. We got about half a mile up the trail and both cyclists were turning around. We didn't see them again so I assume they left, also unprepared for the hills....one of the bikes was a very large gear SS.

I immediately went to the granny gear and just hit cadence and peddled away. The wife tried to tough it out and wore herself out halfway through. We stopped for a bit hoping she would regain some composure, maybe get a second wind. Noted that the new bridge looks like hell already. Apparently someone didn't seal it correctly. I see replacement in it's future, soon. The lake is also being drained, not really sure why. I imagine some work on the earthworks or drain is needed.

The way back ended up being more than the wife could handle riding. She ended up walking up every hill on the return. I just peddled slow and stayed with her. We stopped at the overlook on the way back. My pointer here is not to bother. The tree growth is so high that there is really nothing to see. Same view of some rock about 30 more feet down the trail. Not really sure WHY they opted to put the overlook to no view there?

On the return we could hear the music coming from the family reunion and located a cut through the woods that likely saved (the wife) a half mile or so, and another hill. As we pulled in the family asked if we had eaten and offered us some delicious looking catfish. Unfortunate the wife is GF, so we thanked them but did not partake.

Overall a really good day....I have been bugging the wife to ride more. I hope this bout of walking convinced her....lol.
Old 08-07-17, 12:48 PM
xodondum

Bikes: 17 Cannondale Synapse C; 17 DB Podium; 15 Trek Marlin 5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I loved this trail, very hilly / challenging. I would go more often if it wasn't so far.
Old 08-07-17, 06:07 PM
chong67

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4 + Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love coming here as I live in Jonesboro, GA. Yes it is a hilly ride up and down and its good for doing cardio. Most I see is Grade 11.

The trail connect to Arabia Mountain to Stonecrest Mall and South River bend to Monastery . Have you been to the cascading waterfall at South River trail?

I dont see many people taking advantage of the nice trail vs the Silver Comet and its alot of people near the Marietta area.
Old 08-09-17, 04:17 AM
xodondum

Bikes: 17 Cannondale Synapse C; 17 DB Podium; 15 Trek Marlin 5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
where is it? can you point to it on a map? the last time I went I didn't go on every branch. next time I will.

Originally Posted by chong67
Have you been to the cascading waterfall at South River trail?
Old 08-09-17, 07:15 PM
chong67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xodondum
where is it? can you point to it on a map? the last time I went I didn't go on every branch. next time I will.
See if this link below work for you. You can see the satellite map. There is a clear path to get it from below the power lines. I see people park their car and go there. i like the river place.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/33...126958!5m1!1e3
Old 08-09-17, 07:21 PM
chong67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took the photo in 360 and here its what it look like:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater