General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Assault

Old 05-16-19, 09:18 AM
  #26  
86az135i
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 118

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
You would only want to use a gun as a last ditch. Also flashing a gun when your life is not perceived to be in danger can get you in hot water. But I fully endorse carrying a gun. Just responsibly. Mace would have been a nice touch though, just also check legalities of self defense.
86az135i is offline  
Likes For 86az135i:
Old 05-16-19, 09:20 AM
  #27  
mjac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
How old are you?
Your point is?
mjac is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 09:21 AM
  #28  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,250

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara/Centurion Ironman, '18 Diamondback Syncr, '18 handmade steel roadbike

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2969 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 149 Times in 105 Posts
Sounds like reason 493 to not use biopace. Everyone knows Sakae Ovaltech was WAY better!
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-16-19, 09:22 AM
  #29  
86az135i
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 118

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Sorry, Charlie, but the kids' race has nothing to do with the price of tea in China. If they had been any other race would the incident not have bothered you? Would you not have started this thread?

Those are rhetorical questions, BTW.
You're assuming racism and attacking OP because why? "Those are rhetorical questions" ie. i hAvE nO vAliD aRguMeNt
86az135i is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 09:22 AM
  #30  
livedarklions
Je suis Snap Motomag
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 3,845

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 267 Posts
No idea what this encounter was about, but I second the view that your priority here should probably be fixing the drive train on your bike before you take it out again--when I rode in New Orleans, there was more than one time where riding fast got me out of trouble, and riding a bike prone to breakdown is generally asking for all kinds of trouble (safety from accident as well).

Over the years, I've had a couple of situations where someone has attempted to mug me, but they were on foot. It actually was kind of pitiful because there was no way they were going to get me unless I was stupid enough to let them corner me. Last time, they actually told me to "Hey! Come over here!" in a threatening-sounding voice while they were standing next to some bushes in a park. I resisted the temptation of asking them if that ever worked and rode on.

Another time, a kid tried to put a stick in my spokes while I was riding in the street (I think he wanted the bike). Turns out you don't even consciously have to know that's happening before you swerve to avoid by reflex.
livedarklions is online now  
Old 05-16-19, 09:27 AM
  #31  
livedarklions
Je suis Snap Motomag
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 3,845

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 267 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac View Post
You are indeed entitled to your opinion. But I vehemently and strongly disagree with you. Race did not even cross my mind when contemplating and writing this Post. It is an accurate and honest description of what happened. It is not about Race but about three kids assaulting and threatening someone on a dedicated, "Safe" Bike Path that members of this forum can appreciate. Yet you cherry pick one word and change the discussion. I find this object able. To assume I would not have written this post if it did not include this detail is just plain wrong. It is accurate. That is all.

To give you an idea of what the Crime Situation is in New Orleans, the reality, not the Racist, Insuggest you go to YouTube and search "Euric Cane." Look for "Shooting of Tulane Medical Student Peter Gold." Pay particular attention how he tries "Three" times to unjam his gun to finish him off. Then scroll down to " A clearer CCV" to see the lead up and aftermath.

Sorry Charlie Indeed.
So wait, race "didn't cross your mind", and your proof for that is the race of the perpetrator of a shooting four years before this incident?

WTF?
livedarklions is online now  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-16-19, 09:31 AM
  #32  
mjac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
You are right

Originally Posted by Litespud View Post
1. Fix your drivetrain - seems like every time you were in a position to go around them or outrun them your chain fell off or you were "nursing" your drivetrain.
2. Hook up a Go-Pro or equivalent and keep riding. If they're there the next time, film them and go to the cops, if they're not, just carry on.
3. As a last resort, and assuming that this is a repeated issue and you don't get any satisfaction from law enforcement, consider Mace (never a gun), but ensure that you're on safe legal ground wrt carrying Mace in your state/jurisdiction, and that the conditions under which you use it are justified self-defense in response to a clear and recorded assault (IANAL, so take this "legal advice" for what it cost you)
You are absolutely right. There were 3 or 4 incidences where I could have avoided the situation but every time I leaned into it the chain skipped and came off. I had bought a used BioPace at a COOP and I think the throats have been worn because someone was using a stretched chain because the points don't look too bad. So I ordered a new 48T Biopace from a place called Bikewagon. They are closing them out and have them on Clearance for $18.99 with a little coupon they have. Another guy jammed me for using Biopace but I kind of like them.
Right
mjac is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 09:43 AM
  #33  
mjac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
So wait, race "didn't cross your mind", and your proof for that is the race of the perpetrator of a shooting four years before this incident?




WTF?
No fool, it is to illustrate how serious the Crime Situation is in New Orleans. These are the things that happen. Everyday. I merely stated the facts. This is what happened. This is who did it.Accurate. Honest. If you can not live with that and have to interject race into everything that is your problem. State one thing that is inaccurate or dishonest. I am waiting. Stating facts is not Racist. It is stating facts.
mjac is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 09:57 AM
  #34  
livedarklions
Je suis Snap Motomag
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 3,845

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 267 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac View Post
No fool, it is to illustrate how serious the Crime Situation is in New Orleans. These are the things that happen. Everyday. I merely stated the facts. This is what happened. This is who did it.Accurate. Honest. If you can not live with that and have to interject race into everything that is your problem. State one thing that is inaccurate or dishonest. I am waiting. Stating facts is not Racist. It is stating facts.
You're babbling incoherently and then calling me "fool". Nice.

Why does a 4 years ago murder tell us anything about why you saw fit to mention the race of the people who assaulted you? You didn't mention what kind of shoes they were wearing, the kind of tires they had on their bike, or any number of other details that don't really add anything to us understanding the situation. Obviously, you don't expect us to identify the perpetrators, so a physical description of their skin color wasn't really a necessary part of the story. Frankly, I really don't care much about the injection of race into your story, but it annoys me when the person who clearly injected race (you) accuses everyone else of having been the person who injected race.

And BTW, I already posted a link showing that crime is actually dropping in New Orleans. I lived in New Orleans in the 1980s, it was wayyyyyy more violent then.
livedarklions is online now  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-16-19, 10:06 AM
  #35  
bakerjw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NE Tennessee
Posts: 787

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
This demonstrates the correct way to report on an incident like this.

https://abc7chicago.com/some-arrests...-mile/5257106/
bakerjw is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 10:06 AM
  #36  
86az135i
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 118

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
I feel like OP also brought up kids this unfairly biases older people and that somehow they are incapable of assaulting people.
86az135i is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 10:06 AM
  #37  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,682

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac View Post
I gave an accurate and honest description of exactly what happened.
Honesty is not necessarily the best policy if/when super sensitive PC types are on a trip-wire alert to be offended by such honesty.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 05-16-19, 10:10 AM
  #38  
FiftySix
where's the gas tank?
 
FiftySix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 488

Bikes: Norco Cityglide, Schwinn Jaguar, Schwinn Willy

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac View Post
I ran this by " JoeyBike" because he is from New Orleans and have not heard back from him yet but I decided to throw this out for general discussion and see what type of feedback I get. I was basically assaulted yesterday evening by three young kids on the Bike Path I ride every morning and evening. Did not know them, had no previous encounter with them that I know of, had no beef with them. They just picked me out. It wasn't too bad but I was wondering if this is an indication of things to come because I ride at specific times. First they were ahead of me on three Stingray type Bikes coming toward me. They turned around ahead of me so they were going in the same direction. When I caught up with them they stopped me from passing by swerving in front of me deliberately. Then trying to accelerate hard to take advantage of a gap my chain came off because I think my BioPace is worn. So they rode ahead and put there bikes across the Bike Path on the ground so I could not pass. I just dismounted and walked down the face of the levee around the Bikes without looking over and continued on. On the way back they were coming in the opposite direction and played chicken with me. I just got down on the Aeros, hugged the Sea Wall and kept my line and the last bike swerved out of my way then one slapped me on the back. I thought that was the end of it then one of them caught up with me because I was nursing the Chain Ring and watching the Sun Set and he slapped me behind the head. Then trying to accelerate the chain came off again. The three of them basically cornered me but when they saw I was serious they did not advance. So I got back on the Bike and rode off.

Is this a sign of things to come? I am debating exactly what to do. Just avoid them not to give them any satisfaction. Carry a Gun or Mace. Avoid the Bike Path. ( I like my Rides)A little feedback would be nice. Just talking about it made me feel a little better.
I've been through this a few years ago walking through a park with my daughter. 3 teenagers, maybe 17 or 18 years old. Full sized adults physically, but not mentally.

The problem only deescalated after I thought to ask for my daughter's phone to take their photos. They dispersed quickly.

Cell phone photos or video go a long way to showing the police who they have to be on the watch for or for filing a report.

Serious hooligans would assault you for your phone, but in my continuing experience since then, most people just want to get out of "recorded evidence" range.

Last edited by FiftySix; 05-16-19 at 02:27 PM.
FiftySix is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 10:10 AM
  #39  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 6,245

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac View Post
You carry your .380 Glock. " Carrying a gun is a pretty bad idea IMO."... Please explain.
A worse idea is have a homicidal fool on your bike path and zero way to protect myself and gf. And, there is always the possibility of a rabid animal. Where I ride is pretty rural. Just my opinion.

Last edited by bruce19; 05-16-19 at 10:20 AM.
bruce19 is offline  
Likes For bruce19:
Old 05-16-19, 10:14 AM
  #40  
Litespud
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Chapel Hill NC
Posts: 370

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
And the conversation goes off the rails again. The color of the teens' skin is irrelevant (the new "race-neutral" description of the original incident works just as well as the original), as is whether crime in NOLA is on the increase or decrease. The OP got into a distressing incident while on his bike, which looks like it'll affect his cycling activities and enjoyment. That's what's relevant. He's looking for some feedback from other cyclists as to how to respond going forward.
Litespud is offline  
Likes For Litespud:
Old 05-16-19, 10:15 AM
  #41  
livedarklions
Je suis Snap Motomag
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 3,845

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 267 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Honesty is not necessarily the best policy if/when super sensitive PC types are on a trip-wire alert to be offended by such honesty.
Well, we'll never actually know, but I'd bet money he wouldn't have written "3 white kids" if that had been the case.

Honesty is definitely not doing as the OP did--bringing up the race of the perpetrators, then acting shocked that people thought he brought up the race of the perpetrators. I wouldn't have said anything about it if he hadn't been so disingenuous about that.
livedarklions is online now  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-16-19, 10:33 AM
  #42  
Clyde1820
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 748

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac View Post
I was basically assaulted yesterday evening by three young kids on the Bike Path I ride every morning and evening. Did not know them, had no previous encounter with them that I know of, had no beef with them. They just picked me out. It wasn't too bad but I was wondering if this is an indication of things to come ...
As a trend? Who can say. Every town is different. Every era is different.

Highlights how a person should value knowledge of the surroundings, those nearby, changing threat levels.

Highlights the value of being capable of self-defense. Even if "only" out riding a bike.

In the end, we can only control what's in our control, and even then some of those things won't turn out the way we prefer. Hard to predict how the unpredictable, random stuff might turn out, in our daily lives. About all we can do is: keep our tools prepared, remain aware, remain fit, remain capable of withstanding such "u-turns" right in front of us.

As for having tools with me: yes, I do. Always have. Always will. Haven't yet been forced to use them, while out cycling. But if violently assaulted, we each have a choice to make when it's coming down on our heads.

I try to vary my routine, my times. I always keep my "head on a swivel" and remain as aware of my surroundings as possible. I've no problem "ejecting" from a situation that's brewing in an attempt to skirt it. I'm not capable of outdistancing anyone on a bike or running, these days, so for me it's a matter of picking the ground (as best as can be done) in order to have the greatest chance of withstanding whatever's coming. About all one can do, if one is going to go "out there" where others might do their thing.
Clyde1820 is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 10:38 AM
  #43  
mjac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
You're babbling incoherently and then calling me "fool". Nice.

Why does a 4 years ago murder tell us anything about why you saw fit to mention the race of the people who assaulted you? You didn't mention what kind of shoes they were wearing, the kind of tires they had on their bike, or any number of other details that don't really add anything to us understanding the situation. Obviously, you don't expect us to identify the perpetrators, so a physical description of their skin color wasn't really a necessary part of the story. Frankly, I really don't care much about the injection of race into your story, but it annoys me when the person who clearly injected race (you) accuses everyone else of having been the person who injected race.

And BTW, I already posted a link showing that crime is actually dropping in New Orleans. I lived in New Orleans in the 1980s, it was wayyyyyy more violent then.
I am babbling incoherently? First of all it was not a murder. The young doctor miraculously survived. Thanks mostly to one of the best Level One Trauma Centers in the Country and the people who came to his aid. Two,the entire nation was going through a Crime Epidemic in its Urban Centers in the 80's due to the Crack Epidemic. Three, if you believe the Advocate and New Orleans Police Department Reports, I can not help you.

My position is simple. I am an honest person. When I wrote the Post I was concerned about what happened and mostly whether or not it might escalate. I gave an accurate description of what happened and who did it. No more no less. Given the sensitivities of this day and age mentioning accurately who did it is accused of being racist. The idea of Race did not even cross my mind at the time. I was describing who did it. That is a fact. The man that shot the Doctor is a fact. You can draw any conclusions from those facts that you want. It is ironic that I could very well have been singled out because of my race and mildly assaulted and when I accurately describe who did it I am accused of Racism and interjecting Race. But to correct the oversight I went back and deleted the accurate description yet that consideration is overlooked by you and you continue to go on and on.

Oh, by the way, since you read the ever present Advocate so religiously, there were stories a while back how young people of a certain race stepping off of the curb between two parked cars and hitting cicylists square in the face with
a baseball bat. Several Incidences. Several. We are talking Brain Damage, Face disfigurement, Multiple, Multiple Plastic Surgeries. That is a fact. That is not Racist. You think I might look out for that?
mjac is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 10:40 AM
  #44  
livedarklions
Je suis Snap Motomag
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 3,845

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 267 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac View Post
I am babbling incoherently? First of all it was not a murder. The young doctor miraculously survived. Thanks mostly to one of the best Level One Trauma Centers in the Country and the people who came to his aid. Two,the entire nation was going through a Crime Epidemic in its Urban Centers in the 80's due to the Crack Epidemic. Three, if you believe the Advocate and New Orleans Police Department Reports, I can not help you.

My position is simple. I am an honest person. When I wrote the Post I was concerned about what happened and mostly whether or not it might escalate. I gave an accurate description of what happened and who did it. No more no less. Given the sensitivities of this day and age mentioning accurately who did it is accused of being racist. The idea of Race did not even cross my mind at the time. I was describing who did it. That is a fact. The man that shot the Doctor is a fact. You can draw any conclusions from those facts that you want. It is ironic that I could very well have been singled out because of my race and mildly assaulted and when I accurately describe who did it I am accused of Racism and interjecting Race. But to correct the oversight I went back and deleted the accurate description yet that consideration is overlooked by you and you continue to go on and on.

Oh, by the way, since you read the ever present Advocate so religiously, there were stories a while back how young people of a certain race stepping off of the curb between two parked cars and hitting cicylists square in the face with
a baseball bat. Several Incidences. Several. We are talking Brain Damage, Face disfigurement, Multiple, Multiple Plastic Surgeries. That is a fact. That is not Racist. You think I might look out for that?

/ignore
livedarklions is online now  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-16-19, 10:48 AM
  #45  
Flip Flop Rider
Senior Member
 
Flip Flop Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: South Carolina Upstate
Posts: 1,064

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
not sure where this is going. Started as a thread asking is this direction our society is going (pretty un-answerable)

is society changing, yes. is it getting better or worse, I guess that's everyone's own opinion
Flip Flop Rider is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 10:55 AM
  #46  
mjac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
/ignore
I think that is the best policy since you have not been able to logically explain any of your positions.
mjac is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 10:56 AM
  #47  
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 6,768

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3618 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 126 Posts
I read the after-edit original post, and was absolutely befuddled. Three youths on Stingrays, harassing MUP users? I had immediate thoughts of some real 1950s-type toughs... you know, hi-top Converse, leather jackets, one of 'em probably has a switchblade comb.

I don't live in anything resembling a proper city, it's just endless urban sprawl for 80 miles to the Pacific Ocean. So this whole tale of woe is simply bizarre.
__________________
DrIsotope is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 11:01 AM
  #48  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,946
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Honesty is not necessarily the best policy if/when super sensitive PC types are on a trip-wire alert to be offended by such honesty.
Seriously? You are actually going to take sides in this ... mess? I'm surprised. Seriously. I just got grabbed by the thread title and don't think I've ever opened this sub-forum but ... wow. O.p. has issues and is using the susceptible ones here to work them out. Don't do it. This is a matter for local law enforcement, period. I'm outta here!
Leisesturm is offline  
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 05-16-19, 11:15 AM
  #49  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 6,245

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Putting aside the feelings this has stirred, I do find it interesting that as a society we have tended to identify perpetrators by race, except if they're "white." More so in the past IMO. I am not implying any overt racism. For example, I don't recall the Newtown school shooter (Adam Lanza) being identified as white. In fact, all the school shootings I recall (as well as other public mass shootings) were committed by white males. If you are a member of an other than white "race" I can see where this would seem pretty unfair. If mentioning race as a description is reasonable (I would argue it is in a report to law enforcement), why not mention white perpetrators. Just to be clear, I am not directing my comments toward the OP or anyone else here. I am asking why society (which is all of us) does what it does and what, if any, are the implications.
bruce19 is offline  
Likes For bruce19:
Old 05-16-19, 11:17 AM
  #50  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 22,403
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8636 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Frankly, I really don't care much about the injection of race into your story, but it annoys me when the person who clearly injected race (you) accuses everyone else of having been the person who injected race.
Not only that, he edited the OP because of the alleged "PC" (an often misunderstood and, thus, improperly used term) police. I am seriously thinking the OP's tack was intentional.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.