Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Helmet camera that looks good

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Helmet camera that looks good

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-19, 09:04 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
@enveous - the end game will be to mount it on the side of my helmet if I can find a decent helmet strap that will take a tripod mount. From front on it is fairly discreet. It's a surprisingly small camera.
Old 04-15-19, 09:10 AM
enveous
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
@enveous - the end game will be to mount it on the side of my helmet if I can find a decent helmet strap that will take a tripod mount. From front on it is fairly discreet. It's a surprisingly small camera.
It seems that you're trying to reinvent the wheel here.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/act...ories/vct-hsm1
Old 04-15-19, 09:20 AM
TXCiclista

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Fenix SL, 2008 Trek 1500, 1998 Diamondback Apex

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an okay Sony action cam that I used to mount on my handlebar... However, it needs to be put into that big plastic case for it to be mounted so becomes bulky if I were to mount it to a helmet.
Actually, it doesn't. There's an adapter that screws into the little hole on the bottom-front. You can then a buy lens-only protector and you've reduced some of the bulk (as well as heat). It's no longer H2)-proof, but it's at least an option.

EDIT: I see you found a 3rd-party option. Nevermind
Old 04-15-19, 09:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Falchoon
Helemt with built in camera
https://cyclevision.com.au/
stealthy! but I like that ppl know I have a camera running
Old 04-15-19, 02:44 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
That won't work. At best you'll get an obstructed view. At worst it will weigh down your helmet to on side. With the a cube or even better, a tube type camera you might be able to get away with it.

Remember, the idea is to get an unobstructed view so that the angle isn't compromised when you turn your head. Otherwise, it only records what you're looking at. The limitation to a helmet mount.
Old 04-15-19, 04:20 PM
enveous
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
That won't work. At best you'll get an obstructed view.
Nah, it will work just fine and he won't have an obstructed view. In addition to being able to adjust the horizontal aim of the camera, he can also adjust the FOV to crop any helemt bits that wander into frame.

At worst it will weigh down your helmet to on[sic] side.
If it should weight him down, and his helmet retention system (roc loc et al) can't compensate, it's simple to put a small counterweight on the other side of the helmet. With the Sony being pretty light my bet is that it will depend on his helmet type.

The limitation to a helmet mount.
In the real world these limitations don't exist. Another advantage to a side mount vs. a tele tubby top mount is less camera movement/smoother capture because the camera is at the center of the head mass.
Old 04-15-19, 05:24 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by enveous
Nah, it will work just fine and he won't have an obstructed view. In addition to being able to adjust the horizontal aim of the camera, he can also adjust the FOV to crop any helemt bits that wander into frame.
Your counterpoints are argumentative but unrealistic. Not all cameras have fine adjustable FOV capability. All of my points make no assumptions and are valid and more practical than not.
If it should weight him down, and his helmet retention system (roc loc et al) can't compensate, it's simple to put a small counterweight on the other side of the helmet. With the Sony being pretty light my bet is that it will depend on his helmet type.
For one, his retention system is designed to fit comfortably snug, not as a tourniquet. Second, I should point out that a camera mounted sideways would also be angled improperly resulting in an unnatural view of the sky and ground rather than to the sides where it would be most needed.

The alternative would be to add an angled mount which would add even more weight (as would a counterweight) in addition to extending the camera further away from the helmet increasing the imbalance even further.
In the real world these limitations don't exist. Another advantage to a side mount vs. a tele tubby top mount is less camera movement/smoother capture because the camera is at the center of the head mass.
Finally, your point of smother movement is completely incorrect since the center mount offers the greatest amount of stability -- its in the center.

In the "real world" limitations, compromises, and exceptions always exist. I hope I've demonstrated that above.
Old 04-15-19, 06:19 PM
enveous
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your counterpoints are argumentative but unrealistic. Not all cameras have fine adjustable FOV capability.
Not unrealistic. Just the facts. His camera, like the GoPros (and others) that I've used to do exactly what he wants to do, allow the user to select the FOV.

All of my points make no assumptions and are valid and more practical than not. For one, his retention system is designed to fit comfortably snug, not as a tourniquet.
Nah, all of your points are based on assumptions that you've made whereas the points that I've made are based on a couple of decades worth of experience mounting videos cameras to the sides of helmets. Including Giro helmets with roc locs to stabilize them. "Tourniquet" is a bad analogy since the roc loc tightens on the skull, not the neck (where the arteries are).

Second, I should point out that a camera mounted sideways would also be angled improperly resulting in an unnatural view of the sky and ground rather than to the sides where it would be most needed.
I don't know where you got this false notion that anyone is suggesting that cameras would be mounted sideways. I never suggested that. I have posted about cameras being mounted to the side of a helmet.

The alternative would be to add an angled mount which would add even more weight (as would a counterweight) in addition to extending the camera further away from the helmet increasing the imbalance even further.
The OP doesn't need any extenders or angled mounts for his Sony. In addition, if mounting arms are needed for something like the GoPro, it's no big deal. I captured a bunch of video that way, without issue. Have you ever actually tried it or are you just making assumptions and speculating again?

Here's a screen grab that shows what it can look like when a GoPo is mounted to the side of a helmet. No obstruction, contrary to your claim above:

Finally, your point of smother movement is completely incorrect since the center mount offers the greatest amount of stability -- its in the center.
Yeah, you truly don't know what you're trying to post about. Top mount results in much greater vertical movement of the camera and results in shakier video. That's something that I learned first hand when I first started capturing helmet-mounted video in the late 90s.

In the "real world" limitations, compromises, and exceptions always exist. I hope I've demonstrated that above.

Nah, all you've demonstrated is that you're making assumptions that don't jive with the real world experience of someone who has actually done something that you're merely speculating about.

Last edited by enveous; 04-15-19 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-16-19, 05:44 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I want to record some of my rides, and also any incidents that may happen when I'm out riding.

I'm looking for a neat, discreet and good quality helmet camera that doesn't look awkward and odd (e.g. the GoPro cams that are just too big and the wrong shape for helmet cameras).

Any recommendations? I don't need spectacularly specced action cameras as all I want to do is record simple, high quality video in 1080p as a minimum.

Budget would be up to 300 USD.
You are starting out with a large piece of plastic/fiberglass attached to your head with a chin strap and you are worried about looking awkward?
Old 04-22-19, 02:12 AM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Lightbulb MOHOC - Military and Tactical Camera

There are nice solutions for military use:
mohoc.com
Old 04-22-19, 06:45 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by angerdan
There are nice solutions for military use:
mohoc.com
wonder what astronauts use?
Old 04-22-19, 06:48 AM
rumrunn6

my Polaroids are waterproof w/o a housing & have a nice quick release mount

Old 04-22-19, 07:19 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Newwings-Blue.../dp/B07LF2S19L is tempting. Built-in to the sunglasses, no mounting issues.
Old 04-22-19, 07:25 AM
rumrunn6

love the idea, depends on the execution. I've had disappointing experiences w blue tooth headphones
Old 04-22-19, 07:36 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
Here is a camera I learned about recently on a dashcam forum.
It does have an internal battery good for 1.5 hrs max.
Impressive part is that it has a Sony Exmor sensor, and WiFi, and sells for just $120.
https://www.gitup.com/cameras/78-git...on-camera.html

I use a Replay XD Prime X on my helmet, which is just a small black cylinder that most people mistake for a light.
They have been out of production for several years.
Old 04-22-19, 07:41 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster

You are starting out with a large piece of plastic/fiberglass attached to your head with a chin strap and you are worried about looking awkward?
Looking forward to the day when we can have camera-equipped personal drones following us around, instead of wearing helmet cameras that make us look like visitors from outer space who belong on a kid's cereal box.

Old 04-22-19, 08:45 AM
enveous
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
wonder what astronauts use?
Hint: they don't use generic 1080p cameras that are simply marketed as "military" cams.

Old 04-22-19, 09:31 AM
rumrunn6

I guess

fwiw ~ just came across this page about the history of the action cam
Old 04-22-19, 11:42 AM
enveous
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess
No guessing required. There are many videos taken by astronauts using GoPros, including the one that I posted.
Old 04-22-19, 11:56 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by enveous
many videos taken by astronauts using GoPros
so long as they don't forget the SD card, right?

https://globalnews.ca/news/4218174/a...rgets-sd-card/
Old 05-20-19, 01:27 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Old 05-20-19, 01:33 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I guess

fwiw ~ just came across this page about the history of the action cam
I think "Zapruder" would be a good brand name for an action cam manufacturer to use. Wonder if it's taken?