Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Aftermarket fork question

Old 05-17-19, 05:20 PM
JuiceWillis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aftermarket fork question

ok this might sound stupid but that is because I am stupid... I am looking for an aftermarket fork for my langster Pro (which has an integrated headset.) I bought the bike used, so the fork was already cut, and i need more stack. Will any track fork work? I’m looking at the Alpina forks on retro-gression. This will be a temporary solution until my new bike comes in. Thanks for any info!
Old 05-17-19, 09:14 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JuiceWillis
ok this might sound stupid but that is because I am stupid... I am looking for an aftermarket fork for my langster Pro (which has an integrated headset.) I bought the bike used, so the fork was already cut, and i need more stack. Will any track fork work? I’m looking at the Alpina forks on retro-gression. This will be a temporary solution until my new bike comes in. Thanks for any info!
Another temporary solution is to use a upward tilted stem or shallower bars. Probably lower cost than a replacement fork.

Last edited by 700wheel; 05-18-19 at 05:17 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-17-19, 11:57 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Maybe ask here: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/

The more details the better.
Old 05-18-19, 06:55 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
So the primary thing to look at for compatibility is the sizing of the steerer tube. I'm not sure what the Langster is (may depend on the year) I'd guess it's probably 1 1/8 as that's been the most common in the last decade. Other "common" sizes are 1" and tapered (generally 1 1/8 to 1 1/2) so long as you replace the right size, it'll generally fit (langster doesn't have any weird design that would stop it that I know of)

Your rake/trail is also a consideration you should keep in mind, as changing it can have (sometimes drastic) effects on the handling/stability of the bike. For the most part on a track bike going in a circle, you probably won't notice subtle changes ( a mm or two)

Last thing to keep in mind is if you're going from one material steerer tube to another (carbon to alum or vice versa) you may need a different style expander for the headset. Don't beat a star nut into a carbon steerer! Some forks also don't come with the crown race pre-installed, not really an issue to do/have done, but just something to keep in mind.
Old 05-18-19, 04:47 PM
JuiceWillis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Maybe ask here: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/

The more details the better.
Thanks!
Old 05-18-19, 04:48 PM
JuiceWillis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 700wheel
Another temporary solution is to use a upward tilted stem. Probably lower cost than a replacement fork.
I am currently using an upward 140mm 17deg stem, i really need a 150 -6 deg, but haven’t been able to find one yet.
Old 05-20-19, 07:06 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
if you need a 150mm stem, then the fork might not be the part of the frameset due for a replacement. but it sounds like you're working on that.

the Langster Pro uses a pretty standard 1 1/8" steerer tube.
it comes stock with a fork with 45mm rake. you can probably safely replace it with a fork with 40mm of rake, too, without experiencing anything weird.

however, going down to an Alpina, which has 28mm of rake, would change the handling quite a bit - perhaps more than you're used to, and depending on the size of your bike (the LP has different head tube angles through the size ranges), could get it firmly into "this is bad" territory.

in order to put another fork onto your bike, you take it to a shop, and they pop off the crown race off of your old fork (that's the part of your headset that's pressed on to your fork), hammer it on to a new fork, and pop the new fork in. It's simple and straightforward.
Old 05-20-19, 08:56 AM
TDinBristol

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
if you need a 150mm stem, then the fork might not be the part of the frameset due for a replacement. but it sounds like you're working on that.

the Langster Pro uses a pretty standard 1 1/8" steerer tube.
it comes stock with a fork with 45mm rake. you can probably safely replace it with a fork with 40mm of rake, too, without experiencing anything weird.

however, going down to an Alpina, which has 28mm of rake, would change the handling quite a bit - perhaps more than you're used to, and depending on the size of your bike (the LP has different head tube angles through the size ranges), could get it firmly into "this is bad" territory.

in order to put another fork onto your bike, you take it to a shop, and they pop off the crown race off of your old fork (that's the part of your headset that's pressed on to your fork), hammer it on to a new fork, and pop the new fork in. It's simple and straightforward.
I have the Alpina fork. I believe it comes in two versions - one with a hole for a brake, which is a 35mm rake, and one without the hole, which is a 30mm rake. I don't think thy do a 28 rake. Mine is the 35mm, paired with 74.5 head tube, which gives it fairly neutral steering with a trail of 57mm.
Old 05-20-19, 10:11 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Yeah, I believe that the Alpina Wing Pista and F04 forks both have 35mm rake. The F04 was used by Tiemeyer for his builds. The Wing Pista was used on the Dolan DF3 and DF4. I used the Wing Pista on one of my Tiemeyers and the F04 on my Snyder.

I think that the original Bianchi Super Pistas sported a 28mm rake fork.

I think the geometry of the Bianchi track frames changed at some point, but the original ones 2005 and earlier, had the 28mm offset fork.
Old 05-20-19, 10:48 AM
700wheel

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JuiceWillis
I am currently using an upward 140mm 17deg stem, i really need a 150 -6 deg, but haven’t been able to find one yet.
Wouldn't a 6 deg stem decrease your stack?
Old 05-20-19, 12:45 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by TDinBristol
I have the Alpina fork. I believe it comes in two versions - one with a hole for a brake, which is a 35mm rake, and one without the hole, which is a 30mm rake. I don't think thy do a 28 rake. Mine is the 35mm, paired with 74.5 head tube, which gives it fairly neutral steering with a trail of 57mm.
huh. my memory could be pretty wrong, cause i seem to recall a 28mm rake on something.

anyway - point to the OP being to check trail calculations before buying a fork with a different amount of rake. low rake with shallow HTA is bad for track bikes. moderate and moderate should be just fine.
Old 05-20-19, 02:35 PM
JuiceWillis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve decided any solution isn’t really worth it at this point, i put some longer reach bars for now and will stick with the upward 140, I’m waiting on a new frame with a much longer top tube, it’s just taking a little longer than expected. I did a real deal track fit and was given a list of bikes that will fit the bill, with the Dixie Flyer BTB frameset at the top of the list.