Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cassette stutter

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cassette stutter

Old 06-17-19, 03:49 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Cassette stutter

Beginning mechanic but trying hard to learn more, read the bike mechanics forum all the time.

A friend had his bike worked on by a LBS, new rear wheel, tire, tube, cassette and chain all to the tune of $550. I say this only to point out that the wheel could not have cost too much, its a Shimano. He's being bothered by some noise from the rear wheel and what he thought was shifting issues. Long story short, I traced it to his rear wheel and what seems to be his hub. When you spin the cassette it freewheels for a tenth of a revolution or so before it engages whatever is in the hub that it engages with. I don't know about hubs. Took the wheel off, cassette lock nut is tight and that's about all I could do. This freewheeling happens a lot, whenever he's not applying constant pressure through his pedal stroke so it bothers him. He's oldschool and holding on to a 20 plus year old aluminum Cannondale 9 speed, but its a nice bike.

Guess I'm just asking if this is common with cheaper wheels/hubs and if there's anything more I can help him with. I don't mind buying tools.

Thanks
Old 06-17-19, 04:03 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Feed pawls are hesitant to engage. Possibly from a weak spring or too much grease/gunk. Probably a pretty easy fix for someone who knows how to take a freehub apart.
Old 06-17-19, 04:15 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Champlaincycler
Beginning mechanic but trying hard to learn more, read the bike mechanics forum all the time.

A friend had his bike worked on by a LBS, new rear wheel, tire, tube, cassette and chain all to the tune of $550. I say this only to point out that the wheel could not have cost too much, its a Shimano. He's being bothered by some noise from the rear wheel and what he thought was shifting issues. Long story short, I traced it to his rear wheel and what seems to be his hub. When you spin the cassette it freewheels for a tenth of a revolution or so before it engages whatever is in the hub that it engages with. I don't know about hubs. Took the wheel off, cassette lock nut is tight and that's about all I could do. This freewheeling happens a lot, whenever he's not applying constant pressure through his pedal stroke so it bothers him. He's oldschool and holding on to a 20 plus year old aluminum Cannondale 9 speed, but its a nice bike.

Guess I'm just asking if this is common with cheaper wheels/hubs and if there's anything more I can help him with. I don't mind buying tools.

Thanks
Hum... Tire $50, Tube $10, Chain $10, 9sp Cassette $80 = $150. Which means $400 for a rim. Was it a custom built wheel? Just have him take it back for that price. Messing with it could invalidate his very expensive purchase warranty.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 06-17-19, 07:24 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
He just spent $550 at the bike shop and he's not happy. Why doesn't he want to take it back and let them figure it out?