Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

NYCe Wheels closed its doors.

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-19, 12:06 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts

I learned yesterday from a NYCeWheels manager that their store has closed its doors for good. This is a blow to the folding bike community in NYC that was unforeseen.
What other options do folks in NYC now have for their folding bike needs?
Old 01-10-19, 12:21 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Yeah, NYCEWheels is like an institution here for folding bike fans. Especially Bromptons.
I know one ex-employee ended working for Brompton US, now part of Brompton Junction NYC.
But the Junction only sells Brompton bikes and accessories.

If you're interested in other brands; Dahon, Bike Friday, Tern, Moulton, etc. - BFold is
another go to place for a lot of New Yorkers. Junction also don't carry other 3rd party
B'ton accessories; H & H, NOV Design, etc. BFold carry those brands/models.

BROOKS C17 LOANER FROM BFOLD by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 01-10-19, 03:26 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
They continue to take on-line orders but then say that many of the offered items will not be reordered after stock runs out. At least to me their future is not clear, either a reduced on-line only presence or closing down for good with the on-line closing delayed relative to the closing of the physical store. Anybody knows whether there are market or other reasons behind their closing? I remember that ownership changed a few years ago,
Old 01-10-19, 03:38 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by 2_i
They continue to take on-line orders but then say that many of the offered items will not be reordered after stock runs out. At least to me their future is not clear, either a reduced on-line only presence or closing down for good with the on-line closing delayed relative to the closing of the physical store. Anybody knows whether there are market or other reasons behind their closing? I remember that ownership changed a few years ago,
The person that I spoke with yesterday said it was a complete surprise, but didn't know why it happened.
Old 01-10-19, 06:13 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Wow. That's really sad.
Old 01-10-19, 06:35 PM
pakeboi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
NYCe Wheels has folded .
Old 01-10-19, 08:16 PM
dahoneezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Is this starting to be a pattern all over the US? Less people buying bikes/cycling?
Old 01-10-19, 08:58 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by pakeboi
NYCe Wheels has folded .
I see what you did there But this is only partly correct.
Originally Posted by 2_i
Showroom has folded/closed. Online presence will continue till all stock has sold.
Old 01-10-19, 09:40 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by dahoneezz
Is this starting to be a pattern all over the US? Less people buying bikes/cycling?
Performance Bike is closing stores, too. At first it was "some", but every store seems to be doing a going out of business sale. Will it stick around online? Maybe, but I'm doubtful. Cycling is headed towards a mostly ebike future, with the richies left to pay big money for custom "real" bicycles; the low-to-mid price pedal-bike market is collapsing. It didn't help that NYCe got hit by draconian ebike regs in New York.
Old 01-10-19, 10:10 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I will be interested to see what explanation is given, if any. We can speculate about low profits, lack of business, or whatever, but can't be sure. If the shift is to ebike stores, they could have adapted...I mean what's better than a FOLDING E-BIKE? I get Performance bike closing because at least where I live, they were nothing special at all. There are actually a lot more independent bike shops that people frequent and that are doing really well. But NYCe wasn't a cookie-cutter minimal service chain store.
Old 01-11-19, 03:08 AM
nynohu

Bikes: Brompton S2L-X Raw Lacquer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How suprised!!!
I've just bought a Brompton Ti from NyceWheels 2 weeks ago and now they have closed.
How about warranty/ maintenance services?
Old 01-11-19, 08:25 AM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I am surprised. Their online presence is excellent.

The market is downsizing, most likely due to bike/scooter share services. I have special SEO tools and most of the folding bike websites have seen a noticeable decrease in website traffic ( Montague is the exception to the trend ).
Additionally, advertising is down. Both citizen bike and euromini have cut back on their google ad budget ( 25- 30% ).

Honestly I expect Euromini to have the biggest challenges moving forward. They are entering a new market at the wrong time. Their sales are based on marketing, hence a substantial cut in marketing is a really bad sign.

Fuji & Performance just went bankrupt. The parent company to USA distributor of Raleigh ( and others ) has said that they want out....it sound as if they are for sale.

Fuji owes money to lots of bike companies....this will affect their bottom line ( possibility creating more insolvencies ).

I am glad that I have a teaching job. I think it will be a difficult market until this "stuff" shakes out. I have minimized my orders/inventory ( for the first time in a decade ). I plan to sell out of multiple models before restocking.

​​​​Thanks
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 01-11-19, 10:00 AM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
In my neck of the woods road bikes and (super pricey) mountain bikes rule the marketplace, You see them everywhere.

Folders, commuters, cruisers, comfort bikes seem to be yesterday's news. Merchants catering to market tastes which are in decline are most vulnerable since we have numerous LBS in my region which are centric to the road/mtb market and seem to be thriving.

Even e-bikes aren't that commonplace here....(I own one myownself and frankly it's my least favorite of my 3 bike fleet but that's another conversation entirely) but I think the e-bike market is over-saturated with too many, errr dare I call them "manufacturers" ? which will add another layer of chaos to the marketplace as well. There will be fallout there as well.
Old 01-11-19, 10:39 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Concern was expressed for American LBS Brompton outlets when REI was granted a franchise.

Or maybe it's just a real estate thing, and NYCE Wheels will rise like a phoenix, but out of a warehouse in Flatbush.
Old 01-11-19, 10:56 AM
downtube

Originally Posted by tcs

Or maybe it's just a real estate thing, and NYCE Wheels will rise like a phoenix, but out of a warehouse in Flatbush.
We moved from Philly to NC in 2013. We didn't disconnect the phone, or bounce emails.

Thanks,
Yan
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 01-11-19, 11:21 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Over head costs keep going up.. banks real-estate and insurance need voracious increases.. apparently..

my homeowner's insurance doubled this year ( company bought out a competitor , now policy holders bear that burden.. )
Old 01-11-19, 12:01 PM
Roegmann

Bikes: Pacific Cycles GT, Downtube Mini 2015 version, LitePro Crius 14"

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I ride the train and light rail here, most of the bikes next to my folder are the various incarnations of the MTB or a hybrid; even the homeless ride MTBs. My folder du jour (usually my green Downtube Mini) is more of conversation piece. Although in my neighborhood there are folders (Tern is king here, probably because they are the closest folder dealer), they are used more for convenience. The owners fold them, stick them in their car, and drive to wherever and ride. Or, they don't have the storage space for a non-folder.
Old 01-11-19, 12:41 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Over head costs keep going up.. banks real-estate and insurance need voracious increases.. apparently..

my homeowner's insurance doubled this year ( company bought out a competitor , now policy holders bear that burden.. )
All homeowners will bear the burden of epic and record-breaking wildfire losses in the west (mostly) and hurricane losses through their insurance premiums (not to mention volcanoes, 100 year floods, and catastrophic sinkholes) which for whatever reason one chooses to believe, are becoming more severe, and more commonplace.
Old 01-11-19, 12:48 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
They had plenty of e-bikes on their website but maybe these do not sell so well on-line due to customer mistrust of their novelty and their maintenance needs.
Old 01-11-19, 01:06 PM
downtube

Originally Posted by 2_i
They had plenty of e-bikes on their website but maybe these do not sell so well on-line due to customer mistrust of their novelty and their maintenance needs.
I thought they were illegal in NYC.

Thanks,
Yan
Old 01-11-19, 01:39 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by downtube

Thanks,
Yan
e-assist has been legal there since April 2018
Old 01-11-19, 05:59 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts

Thanks,
Yan
Originally Posted by Pinigis
e-assist has been legal there since April 2018
Yes, pedalecs are legal in NYC now.
Old 01-12-19, 09:58 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
We moved from Philly to NC in 2013. We didn't disconnect the phone, or bounce emails.
The phoenix has to consume itself in fire, my friend, before it can be reborn.
Old 01-12-19, 08:58 PM
plushy gopher
very fluffy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder why e-bikes are so successful that there are entire shops focusing on selling them. Aren't they just "bicycles for lazy people" or "really slow motorbikes"?
Old 01-12-19, 09:56 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 191 Posts
In NYC, I wonder if it's a question of floor space becoming cost-prohibitive, either from rents being jacked up or leases not being renegotiated to make way for other businesses.

I have an M3L Brommie that was originally from NYCE and outfitted by them with some specialized accessories. I've never seen another Brommie like it. They did good work if my bike is any indication.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.