Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Handlebar recommendations

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 05-23-19, 08:53 PM
libertarian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’m looking to make my Pinarello Gan RS in 57.5 work for me still. I’m 6’1/6’2” and I’m a bit disappointed because the bike looks and feels a lot more massive than I expected, especially in the front - and that’s with coming from a 60cm steel frame...

I suspect that the handlebar is part of my problem. I already put a shorter stem on but I really dislike the wide handlebar it came with. Not just because of the actual width itself but because of the distance/variance between top of the handlebar vs riding on the hoods. It’s about a 15cm difference. My old bike had more of a 10cm difference. Not sure about the width. The Most Pinarello bar on the Gan RS is listed as 46(!) cm but measures more like 44. My old one is probably a 40 or 42. My daughter’s Trek has a bar that probably would work for me, a compact Bontrager that measures 42 but it actually says 40 printed on it.

Obviosuly, I’d want something nicer that fits the Pinarello, light and from carbon I guess.

So what would I be looking for? Any recommendations? Is it worth trying to sell the current Most XC?
Old 05-24-19, 08:33 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ugh, not even a round fork steerer, so the stem change that would be my suggestion
is not doable without buying a proprietary one ..

I think your paddle fell over the side, into the creek .. because you did not make fit first priority..

Good luck ...
Old 05-24-19, 12:46 PM
libertarian

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Ugh, not even a round fork steerer, so the stem change that would be my suggestion
is not doable without buying a proprietary one ..

I think your paddle fell over the side, into the creek .. because you did not make fit first priority..

Good luck ...
I agree. I may look now to cut my losses and sell locally and start over next year. Lesson learned here is that a Pinarello that fits me perfectly and has all the features I really want (including a Camapgnalo group again) can’t be had for $3000. Some deals are too good to be true. Sucks.
Old 05-24-19, 02:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Some Places* have a FiT Cycle its not a bike, but has the 3 contact points
and a lot of adjustments.. with length and protractor angle scales..

a few custom bike frame makers made their own.

* not an old Fishing town at the mouth of a river, no Campy parts either. but Hotels Brewpubs , restaurants,

to fill the few days it takes for special orders ..

(Touring riders on Campy equipped bikes , break stuff & then have to drink with the Locals,
for a few days)

[as to the handle bars Universal cycles Portland, website

or the high end shops in Colorado tried?]

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-24-19 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-25-19, 03:31 PM
mac_flyer9

Bikes: 2002 Airborne Manhattan Project / 2019 Trek Domane SLR

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
I think the Pinarello has a round steerer. The MOST handlebars / stem and spacers are aerodynamically faired. You can replace them with a standard stem / spacers and handlebars. Check your LBS for a standard round fork/steerer bearings and then see what bars work for you. Good Luck.
Old 05-27-19, 01:54 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
Seen from the angle in the photo, can't see what's going on with the bars/hoods in terms of angle. My fitter recommended FSA Omega Compact bars to move my hands back. Don't see any great advantage to carbon bars.
Old 06-22-19, 05:47 AM
VeeBee

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike fit is a real problem when you fall in the middle of frame sizes. I am having a problem also with a large frame and short stem.
Old 06-22-19, 11:35 AM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hold your horses on replacing the whole bike! You only need to do that if you can’t get a good fit with a reasonably sized seat post and stem. Handlebar shape is a very personal choice. Bikes don’t come with pedals for a reason, but if it wasn’t a logistical nightmare, they would not come with handlebars, stems or saddles either. You are supposed to swap them.

Handlebar choice is almost as important as saddle for long term comfort. Hand numbness, wrist, arm, back, neck pain, even saddle comfort and endurance are all hugely impacted.

Best case would be to go to a shop with a fit cycle and try a bunch of different shaped and width bars and different reach measurements. Personally, I bought a bunch of cheap bars and stems until I found a setup that worked well, then upgraded. I got really good at wrapping bar tape in the process.
Old 06-24-19, 08:06 PM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I just checked and all current Most drop bars have a drop of 125mm and a reach of 80mm. Width is measured from center line of the drops (except for those with flared drops). That’s fairly compact. Have you tried rotating the handlebars so that the drops are less angled down? If that helps, perhaps get a new Most in the right width. Or shop Amazon for some of the newer ultra-compact drop bars to get an idea of available drop/reach combinations.

And sure, sell that MostXC that doesn’t fit to help offset the replacement cost. Or donate it to a local bike co-op.

Nice-looking bike, by the way. Hope you get the fit sorted out in short order. Good luck!
Old 06-24-19, 08:34 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
I think I may be stating the obvious, but it the drop is more than you like it looks like you have a few spacers on top of the stem that you can move down, Or does that just put the top of the bar higher than you want?