Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

A Hummer story I think everyone will enjoy!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

A Hummer story I think everyone will enjoy!

Old 04-25-10, 07:28 PM
screech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by screech; 04-26-10 at 06:17 AM. Reason: does not add anything positive to this forum so I am removing
Old 04-25-10, 07:35 PM
JeremyZ

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Searcher GS, 2007 Dahon Curve D3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're right. I enjoyed it. These are the guys (or gals) who nearly take my head off when that mirror whizzes by my ear at 50 mph.
Old 04-25-10, 09:44 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Now that Hummers are no longer being manufactured, I feel a little sadness each time one passes me. I tend to get riled up more by those Dodge Ram trucks sneaking up on me. You can almost hear the gasoline coursing through their veins.
Old 04-26-10, 02:23 AM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vandalism is enjoyable? Vandalism is an action of the cowardly.
Old 04-26-10, 02:47 AM
a1rabbit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I respect all vehicles, some more than others. I love some old classics, some new ones too. I used to be a mechanic, I guess I was a car guy but not a muscle car guy. Though I do like them.

It's the drivers of the vehicles that can be a problem, and as far as we know the guy who owns that hummer is a great person, respectful of cyclists, etc.

(Chances are he's a moron, but hey we don't know that for certain.)

My dad owned an F-250 back in the 90's, and there were times I had to park it up on a curb to stay off the road, as long as I was not harming anything or blocking anything I saw no problem with it. I asked some police officer about it one time when I worked on this TV show for awhile. Sometimes I'd have a long stretch of time when I'd be working next to to the officer on duty for the show. This one I talked to said they really don't mind that sort of thing too much unless it's causing a problem, some vehicles are large, some are small. No reason to punish someone cuz they have a big truck. It becomes more of a problem when it's hanging out three feet into a small road. That hummer looks like it's parked pretty well and not bothering anyone except some people who just want to be mad about its size.

(off topic now)

Shortly after that some crack head ran into the store right in front of us, literally like 2 feet away from the cop (a bicycle cop no less) and tried to steal like 20 mini bags of chips, leaving a trail of them out the door like breadcrumbs. Cycle cop said "excuse me a moment" road a short distance to the guy, stopped him, made him take the chips back to the store and say he was sorry. Then made him empty his pockets, low and behold he had a couple rocks on him, officer smashed them on the sidewalk and sent him on his way. He was off duty, only off duty officers work on shows to make some extra cash.

Good times.
Old 04-26-10, 02:48 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by screech
A story I think everyone will enjoy.
Old 04-26-10, 02:50 AM
bluedragon0

Bikes: Full Force Slick Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuterRun
Vandalism is enjoyable? Vandalism is an action of the cowardly.
+1. While I detest Hummers on so many levels, and while I won't argue that the owner didn't "have it coming" parking like that, someone who would do that to a car will probably do the same or worse to a bike. Besides, do you really think the Hummer's owner "learned their lesson" or just got mad and took it out on the next person?
Old 04-26-10, 02:52 AM
a1rabbit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just love how you many people have this stereotype of what a Hummer driver is.

It's like saying all cyclists are morons because of the ones who don't follow the rules and cause accidents.

There are exceptions.
Old 04-26-10, 02:56 AM
Nigal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hating someone for the car they drive is as silly as hating someone for the color of their skin.
Old 04-26-10, 02:59 AM
a1rabbit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nigal
Hating someone for the car they drive is as silly as hating someone for the color of their skin.
+2975
Old 04-26-10, 03:12 AM
Oscuro

Bikes: LHT, International, 310

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I feel bad for the owner.

I do not feel bad for the Hummer. Ugly, grotesque abominations.
Old 04-26-10, 04:18 AM
Yalborap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ehhhh, not quite....Can't choose the color of your skin, after all. But I WOULD say it's like hating someone for the clothes they wear.

But that's a bit of a tangent. Vandalism sucks for everyone, even if the guy did have it coming a bit with parking that way.
Old 04-26-10, 04:53 AM
JeremyZ

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Searcher GS, 2007 Dahon Curve D3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a1rabbit - How do you think this guy is innocent? He is parking on the public lawn and ruining it for everyone. The guy is a jerk for doing it.
Old 04-26-10, 05:24 AM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Celebrating wanton destruction of property. Did you point it out to your child? Did you tell her it was ok to destroy other peoples property when you don't agree with their choices?

When somebody runs over her bike because it's laying on the sidewalk/driveway, you'll be able to tell her the parable of the "Big Bad SUV" and she'll understand.

You should have posted this over in AnS, they eat this crap up.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.

Last edited by dobber; 04-26-10 at 05:27 AM.
Old 04-26-10, 06:46 AM
emperorcezar
Large and in charge

Bikes: At one point it was a Trek 700 something. Now it have Velocity Psycho wheels, a tape job. Thumb shifters (Shimano Deore). Corncob grouping, and drop bar ends all wrapped up in tape.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't hate people for 95% of the cars they buy, but there are cars that people just have no business of buying. A hummer is one of them, while an F250 is not. I don't care about the size of a vehicle if there is a legitimate use for it. If you need a big truck for the farm, or for work, then great, get one. If you are my brother, and just need one for hillbilly street cred, then shame.

I'm of the personal belief that there needs to me an endorsement on a drivers licence for vehicles bigger than a minivan(ish). They drive and corner differently. People wouldn't be dieing from rollover crashes in giant SUVs if they knew how the drive them. Need that F250 for the farm, that's fine, take the test, pay the extra $10 and I'd be happy. It would be enough of a hassle to at least promote the correct usage of the vehicle.

In my experience, being from West Virginia, and now Chicago, the people I have known with giant vehicles have them as status symbols, or because they were sold on them as being safer (they are not statistically). The hummer is an epitome of this. It doesn't have the hauling capacity of a truck, it has the same passenger capacity of much better vehicles, anything but the original army hummer doesn't have the toughness or the armor. It's just a giant sign of being a ******, or being very susceptible to hype.

Back to the point of a quote. Skin isn't a choice, a car is.
Old 04-26-10, 06:57 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Closed, per OP request.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant