Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

RX presription glasses for strong prescription

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-14, 03:37 PM
harry2110

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ive asked this before but it seems that times have changed and companys are less capable than a few years past.

My sphere is -12.5 in both eyes which seems to mean now no company can make any glasses for me.

I have tried rudy, ess, progear, legend, bolle, Oakley, and waileyx. While I did get a pair made by progear finally 2 years ago now that its time for a remake no one seems to have the capability to do so anymore. I really don't want to go back to overrx glasses as they are hot and fog up in the winter badly. Does anyone here have any experience with a brand that I might have not thought about to try?
Old 12-16-14, 04:59 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2614 Post(s)
Liked 1,958 Times in 1,227 Posts
Contact sportrx.com and see if they can help. They found a pair that works on my -11 eyes.
Old 12-17-14, 04:49 AM
yankeefan

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you thought about getting contacts so that you can just wear ordinary sunglasses? That's what I do, though I don't have much of a choice in the matter. My vision isn't correctable with glasses
Old 12-17-14, 06:32 AM
harry2110

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yankeefan
Have you thought about getting contacts so that you can just wear ordinary sunglasses? That's what I do, though I don't have much of a choice in the matter. My vision isn't correctable with glasses
I had thought about that but i also have a high astigmatism and it seems contacts would cost me over 600 a year last i looked. Im pretty much blind with glasses so having them alway on has been playing with me as i would love not having to scramble for them in unexpected situations.
Old 12-17-14, 06:42 AM
yankeefan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harry2110
I had thought about that but i also have a high astigmatism and it seems contacts would cost me over 600 a year last i looked. Im pretty much blind with glasses so having them alway on has been playing with me as i would love not having to scramble for them in unexpected situations.
I have keratoconus, which is an irregular astigmatism ergo cannot be corrected with glasses. I wear rigid gas permeable (RGP) contact lens, which is usually prescribed to people with extremely high degrees (or irregular) astigmatisms. There is an horrible adaption period for about a week while your eyes get used to it (vision will fluctuate a lot, likely to have blood shot & teary eyes, etc.) but after that it's smooth sailing. Mine cost $1200 for the pair (not including labor fees for the optometrist), but the trick to getting your insurance to pay for them is to have your doctor list it as medically necessary.
Old 12-17-14, 11:34 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Insert lenses , in their own Frame, behind curved sports glasses is probably something a local Eyeglasses Maker can create a Lens for ..
Old 12-17-14, 12:06 PM
harry2110

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have keratoconus, which is an irregular astigmatism ergo cannot be corrected with glasses. I wear rigid gas permeable (RGP) contact lens, which is usually prescribed to people with extremely high degrees (or irregular) astigmatisms. There is an horrible adaption period for about a week while your eyes get used to it (vision will fluctuate a lot, likely to have blood shot & teary eyes, etc.) but after that it's smooth sailing. Mine cost $1200 for the pair (not including labor fees for the optometrist), but the trick to getting your insurance to pay for them is to have your doctor list it as medically necessary.
That is the type of contacts that they were going to have me use and I got scared off because of the cost + fitting. I might have to switch doctors if I go that route as mine wont do anything outside of the books currently ie since I can get glasses they aren't medically necessary, so that maybe I can get them covered this time. Also that adaption period to me doesn't sound all that bad as that is what my eyes do now all the time since my last retinal detachment.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Insert lenses , in their own Frame, behind curved sports glasses is probably something a local Eyeglasses Maker can create a Lens for ..
That's what Im looking for but have been coming up short as most inserts still have limits of -7(rudy, ess) and -4(Oakley, wileyx). Rudy and ESS used to take rx up to -12-13 but its seems that manufacturing has changed and both have dropped their limits.
Old 12-17-14, 12:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cant you get the Insert frames out of someone. and have a Local provider make the lenses ?
or figure the stock pick lenses are place holders and have them replaced.

not in your situation , (Aged past my need for speed) , [VA supplies a bifocal reading lens pair ]
Old 12-17-14, 12:34 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I'll be curious to see what you come up with. Problem I've had is dry-eye/ foggy vision issues in cold weather. I carry goggles and use if necessary.

One of our local riders, for completely different reasons, started wearing a helmet with a built-in visor that comes down over the eyes, but allows room for glasses, I think. I don't recall the brand. Looks sort of goofy, but I'd wear it if it worked for me, I think.

I used to wear contacts, but started having problems with dry eyes and had to quit. Mine were gas-permeable lenses as well. Main drawback is I'd lose about one a year.
Old 12-18-14, 10:35 AM
yankeefan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is the type of contacts that they were going to have me use and I got scared off because of the cost + fitting. I might have to switch doctors if I go that route as mine wont do anything outside of the books currently ie since I can get glasses they aren't medically necessary, so that maybe I can get them covered this time. Also that adaption period to me doesn't sound all that bad as that is what my eyes do now all the time since my last retinal detachment.
I don't think this is necessarily "outside the books" if RGPs can offer you significant improvements in visual acuity over your current glasses. In my case uncorrected my vision is 20/200, and the best fitted glasses only offers me 20/70 vision (not good enough to get a drivers licenses in NY) whereas my RGPs brings me up to 20/15, as well as alleviating the night-blindness I experience with glasses! If that is not the definition of medically necessary then I don't know what is!
Old 12-18-14, 12:59 PM
stephtu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's what Im looking for but have been coming up short as most inserts still have limits of -7(rudy, ess) and -4(Oakley, wileyx). Rudy and ESS used to take rx up to -12-13 but its seems that manufacturing has changed and both have dropped their limits.
Try the Rudy "Exception" model that has a high power insert option (smaller insert, lose a bit of peripheral vision on the insert). www.sportrx.com/blog/tag/rudy-project-exception claims they did as high as -16 in one.

Last edited by stephtu; 12-18-14 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-18-14, 03:08 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Ive asked this before but it seems that times have changed and companys are less capable than a few years past.

My sphere is -12.5 in both eyes which seems to mean now no company can make any glasses for me.

I have tried rudy, ess, progear, legend, bolle, Oakley, and waileyx. While I did get a pair made by progear finally 2 years ago now that its time for a remake no one seems to have the capability to do so anymore. I really don't want to go back to overrx glasses as they are hot and fog up in the winter badly. Does anyone here have any experience with a brand that I might have not thought about to try?
Consider "fit over" sunglasses to protect your eyes from sun AND road debris.

The are not a fashion statement but they WILL protect your eyes!!

Sunglasses Over Glasses | Fit Over Sunglasses | Fitover Sunglasses - Epolorized Glasses

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 12-18-14, 09:58 PM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Do you need to look cool, or just have good glasses for riding?

I wear $40 titanium aviator frames for riding, not cool wraparound glasses, but excellent eye protection and much better field of view than any of the narrow "sports" styles I've tried.

Check zennioptical.com for something that would work for you.
Old 12-20-14, 11:29 AM
harry2110

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think this is necessarily "outside the books" if RGPs can offer you significant improvements in visual acuity over your current glasses. In my case uncorrected my vision is 20/200, and the best fitted glasses only offers me 20/70 vision (not good enough to get a drivers licenses in NY) whereas my RGPs brings me up to 20/15, as well as alleviating the night-blindness I experience with glasses! If that is not the definition of medically necessary then I don't know what is!
They didnt help my vision any further than glasses which is why i didnt think insurance covered them.

Originally Posted by Nightshade
Consider "fit over" sunglasses to protect your eyes from sun AND road debris.

The are not a fashion statement but they WILL protect your eyes!!

Sunglasses Over Glasses | Fit Over Sunglasses | Fitover Sunglasses - Epolorized Glasses
That was my old standby except for the major fooging issues i had in winter made them useless if you had to stop.

Originally Posted by jputnam
Do you need to look cool, or just have good glasses for riding?

I wear $40 titanium aviator frames for riding, not cool wraparound glasses, but excellent eye protection and much better field of view than any of the narrow "sports" styles I've tried.

Check zennioptical.com for something that would work for you.
I had thought about places like that but most wont take my prescription or usually tack on enough charges to make it as expensive as a standard dr. I looked into the bigger frames as they are actually in style with road and cx at the moment but if i did most dr said my lenses would end up .5-.75inches thick.

Now i did finally find a company called ess that make glasses for the military and they have a crossbow frame that with insert could take my prescription. Ess sent me to mountain west optical and terry there was extremely nice and since everything is in house he said i should have my glasses next week.

Now i also finally heard back from sportrx and they wanted over 700 for just the frame and lenses for the exceptions.
Old 12-20-14, 12:03 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

That was my old standby except for the major fooging issues i had in winter made them useless if you had to stop.
Fogging is given in the winter months. The only known cure for fogging is a pair of goggles with vents.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 12-20-14, 08:42 PM
stephtu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Now i also finally heard back from sportrx and they wanted over 700 for just the frame and lenses for the exceptions.
Ouch. I got mine for $300 through local optician, but that was after a bunch of insurance allowances & discounts. They said without insurance it would have been $600-something. Also I'm only -5.25 so I can get away with regular polycarbonate instead of high index which was a lot cheaper on my insurance plan.