Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mavic Cosmic Elite and other "Training" Wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-13, 09:00 AM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts

I'm looking for a new training and back-up racing wheelset. My current training wheels are a pair of 2.5 year-old Shimano RS10s….not a terrible wheel; I currently use it about 60% of the time (never in races). With about 8.5k miles on it and considering that it’s a bit mushy around corners, I figure it’s time for a slight upgrade.

My first choice was going to be the Mavic Cosmic Elites….somewhat aero, a reputation for being stiff and decent quality. The major complaints from the interwebs seem to be spokes turning and weight (although they’re still 100g lighter than my RS10s). I’m also considering either Shimano RS20s or Ultegras. The November alloy clinchers also have me intrigued. Any thoughts on any of these in terms of durability, build quality and stiffness? I’d like to stay under $500.

Thanks.
Old 02-04-13, 06:29 PM
achoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Well, unless there's some significant advantage to something like a Mavic wheelset, I'd opine that it's always better to get a wheel built up from more standard parts. Because WHEN a spoke breaks on a wheel built from standard parts you won't have to wait three weeks to get a replacement nor will it cost you and arm and a leg.
Old 02-04-13, 06:33 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get the ksyrium elites. 1520 grams and damn near bullet proof.
Old 02-04-13, 06:44 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Fulcrum racing 3 comes to mind.
Also, why not build up a set with decent hubs and H Plus Son Archetypes. Should get you in near 1,500g and they'd be strong (and damn fine looking, too)
Old 02-04-13, 09:04 PM
Christobevii3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rangerdavid
get the ksyrium elites. 1520 grams and damn near bullet proof.
I saw many bust spokes and two with hubs busted. I don't know if the shops got all the bad batches or what but only one set didn't fail out of the 8 in the groups I rode with.

I got some bicycle wheel warehouse wheels that are around 1540g for $325 a couple years back and have held up well with two truings over the time.