Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Vintage Seatbag Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-13, 03:43 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Vintage Seatbag Mounting

All,

Scored an English made NOS Schwinn Approved seatbag just like the one I used in the '70's.
(Pic is from seller, not my bike.)

I intend to mount it on the Soma that I just built up as my century bike when I need to stash lots of "stuff".
The saddle I'm using is a Sella Italia Turbo (1 of 3 I ride), there are no bag loops on the saddle being an old style racing type.

I'm about to order a set of Cyclo Bag Loops and was wondering if any of you have installed them on a non-Brooks design.
As I recall Brooks saddle rails were larger in diameter than Sella, might just have to suck it up and order the re-designed Bagman support.

Regards,

-Bandera
Old 04-04-13, 04:00 PM
Nakedbabytoes

Bikes: 1974 KoKo Sport 3000, 1987 Lotus Elite 600, 2003 Qunitana Roo Kilo tri

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't installed a bag on a non loop backed seat, but I had 3 Brooks saddles all with bags attached and yes, the rails widened out more in the back than typical saddles, so the loops are further apart by about an inch. I used Brooks stuff with Brooks stuff, so I can't comment on alternatives & adaptors. Nice bag though! And nice Soma! I sortof wish I had kept my Millbrook bag from my fixie to use on my Salsa Casseroll. That was a nice bag!
Old 04-10-13, 07:15 AM
jbithaca

Bikes: Fuji Jari Carbon 1.1, Honey Winterando (made by Seven), Litespeed Arenberg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seatbag mounting

I have used both a Fizik Arione and a Gilles Berthoud Soulor saddle on my Litespeed Arenberg. What I have used to attach my Carradice Low Saddle Long Flap bag is a double D-clip which is made of brass which I zip tied to the saddle rails. This means I can take the bag on and off easily. I have attached D-rings to the straps on the saddle bag. All I have to do is open the slider mechanism on the D-clip, slide in the D-rings on each side and it is good to go.
Old 04-20-13, 03:44 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Fail

Originally Posted by Bandera
I'm about to order a set of Cyclo Bag Loops and was wondering if any of you have installed them on a non-Brooks design.
Well, that won't work.
The width spacing on the saddle rails won't work w/ the '70's Brit bag w/ Cyclo Loops on my Turbo, and I'm not changing saddles.

I'll move the Schwinn Approved bag onto the Brooks B-72 saddle on my town bike where it will both useful and period correct.

Since the Soma is my modern interpretation of a classic club rider's machine perhaps forgetting about the old school designs and going contemporary would be best. My requirements would be for a simple, durable & solid seatpack design of medium capacity that costs less than a crankset, and won't touch my leg when moving back on the saddle.

Any tried & true recommendations? Arkel? Carridice QR?

Regards,

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 04-20-13 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Editing