Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Yishun carbon wheels - my experience with them so far

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-11, 12:52 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts

I had gotten a pair of the 50mm clinchers last year but due to a bunch of reasons (travel, injuries, other circumstanceS) never got around to riding them until recently. Been using these wheels for the past month or so while in Oman for my daily riding.

My impressions so far:

- the wheels arrived true and are still true. I am 180lb and while I havent really slammed these wheels on potholes, I have ridden them the same way I ride my Al wheels. Havent babied them any. So far, they seem to be very good

- the rear hub is loud, which is a good thing as far as I am concerned (likely means more pawls). Good positive engagement, no slop.

- dunno about how aero these are compared to Zipps or whatever, but at <$500 a pair, dont really care. Got them for cosmetic reasons mainly anyway (yeah, I said it).

- the other pair of carbon wheels I have is a set of 50mm tubulars from Planet X. Those are bone-jarringly stiff and also creak and make this hollow sound when going over rough patches or bumps (same as a friend's Mavic Cosmic Carbones). The Yishun wheels *sound* a lot more solid - ie, they dont make this hollow sound. Not sure if that even matters, as the Carbones are a very solid wheel despite that sound, and my P-X tubs are also doing quite well, but just pointing it out. The Yishun wheels are also more comfortable and dont beat me up as well, but I havent noticed any flex or brake rub when cornering hard. So stiff enough where it counts.

- Weight: dont have a scale, so cannot really say how much they weight. Sorry, weight weenies

- Braking: They brake ok in the dry with Kool Stop carbon pads. Nothing to write home about, but nothing too shocking either. Havent tried them in the rain yet (rain in Oman, where it has been above 50C the past week? Yeah right).

- Handling: maybe cos I am too fat for this sport (180lb) but I havent had any problems with these wheels in side winds. I havent had any problems with the other 50mm wheels, the P-X tubulars, eithers, so that's probably me more than anything else.

Overall, I am quite pleased with these wheels and if nothing untoward happens in the next 5-6 months of use, I plan to get a pair of 88m clinchers from Stefano as well.

Based on what I've been able to read, my experience is not unique either. About the only complain people have with Yishun has to do with occasional delivery delays; no one seems to have had any problems with the wheels themselves. Great bang for the $$.

Last edited by guadzilla; 05-15-11 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Cast a few more pearls of wisdom
Old 05-15-11, 01:00 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Mind providing info/link to where you purchased them?
Old 05-15-11, 01:03 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Got them from Stefano (yishunstefano@gmail.com) - there was a Bikeforums Group Buy last year, but he's still selling those wheels at the same price singly. The group buy thread is right on top in that forum.

Good guy to deal with, as well. Prompt and responsive with emails, and provided all the answers needed.
Old 05-15-11, 01:04 PM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
I'm buying them when you sell them Guadz, so no shipping hassle for me at least.
Old 05-15-11, 01:08 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

You still buying wheels from me, after I backed out of the last sale (although those were genooo-ine Psimets, so impossible for me to part with), Doc?

I'm surprised. And impressed.
Old 05-15-11, 01:10 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Got them from Stefano (yishunstefano@gmail.com) - there was a Bikeforums Group Buy last year, but he's still selling those wheels at the same price singly. The group buy thread is right on top in that forum.

Good guy to deal with, as well. Prompt and responsive with emails, and provided all the answers needed.
Cool - thanks.
Old 05-15-11, 01:16 PM
deepakvrao

You still buying wheels from me, after I backed out of the last sale (although those were genooo-ine Psimets, so impossible for me to part with), Doc?

I'm surprised. And impressed.
'Still buying' might not be totally accurate? 'Yet to buy' would be nearer to the truth?

Psimets wheels should reach Bangalore tomorrow. Hope mom in law has no customs issues, or I'll be persona non grata when I get back.
Old 05-15-11, 02:36 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by deepakvrao
'Still buying' might not be totally accurate? 'Yet to buy' would be nearer to the truth?
Doh!

Psimets wheels should reach Bangalore tomorrow. Hope mom in law has no customs issues, or I'll be persona non grata when I get back.
I am moving the Ti frame to the island later this month, once I get done in Oman. That means I get to do the dance with the customs guys as well. Should be an interesting experience. Not.
Old 05-16-11, 01:15 AM
deepakvrao

Never had an issue when I have come with bikes. Just tell them it's a used bike worth 500 dollars or so.
Old 06-23-11, 10:38 AM
pixelharmony

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maybe cos I am too fat for this sport (180lb)
You make me feel like a fatty now

Thanks for the review, I was thinking about getting these.

How loud is loud when you're coasting?
Old 06-23-11, 10:42 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
You got pics of the yishun wheels?
Old 06-23-11, 11:13 AM
Runner 1
Cookies!

Bikes: Red Huffy, CAAD10 Rival

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you bought them mostly for cosmetic reasons, then let's see the pictures!
Old 06-23-11, 11:27 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by pixelharmony
You make me feel like a fatty now
That's ok, we are all fatties.

How loud is loud when you're coasting?
It's a decent bit louder than my Powertap hubs. Definitely the loudest hubs I own (which is a good thing, I like loud hubs).

Pictures - sadly no. I didnt have the cojones to ride the bike somewhere nice during the daytime in the Omani summer, and right now, the wheels are elsewhere while I am back on my rock. I will take and post some photos next month, however - especially once I have the special GUADZILLA wheel stickers put on

V.
Old 06-23-11, 11:29 AM
I <3 Robots

Bikes: Cervelo S2, Workswell 062, Banshee Spitfire

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got about 2k on my 50mm Yishun CC's. No issues as of yet...buuut I did have to get the rear trued after the first ride...due to uneven spoke tension.

Only real gripe I have about them is the untreated brake track. You get some mad howl when on the brakes hard.
Old 06-23-11, 02:57 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

That's ok, we are all fatties.

It's a decent bit louder than my Powertap hubs. Definitely the loudest hubs I own (which is a good thing, I like loud hubs).

Pictures - sadly no. I didnt have the cojones to ride the bike somewhere nice during the daytime in the Omani summer, and right now, the wheels are elsewhere while I am back on my rock. I will take and post some photos next month, however - especially once I have the special GUADZILLA wheel stickers put on

V.
Ugh...I don't miss those days. I spent a few summers in the UAE :twitch:...thank goodness for the Marina Mall
Old 06-24-11, 12:05 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Ugh...I don't miss those days. I spent a few summers in the UAE :twitch:...thank goodness for the Marina Mall
Ah, Sin City I wouldnt cycle in the Emirates though. Emiratis, for the most part, are ******bags, especially behind their cars. Omanis are a lot nicer people and very courteous on the road.

But man, this summer was absolutely f'king heinous (the worst M/E summer I have ever experienced). No mas, I cannot deal with it anymore. Will take a lot more than my usual daily rates to get me back there.
Old 09-17-11, 11:58 AM
motobecane69
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to bring this thread back to life a bit, I ordered a set of these wheels, 44mm carbon tubulars. I ordered them after reading a few different threads about them and hearing good things. I dealt with both Stephano and Tony Chen and while their English isn't perfect, it's awfully good and they seemed very pleasant and easy to deal with . I paid via paypal and my payment to them processed on 9/12. I got shipment confirmation from them on 9/13 and this morning i got to work and my wheels were there! AMAZINGLY FAST! They look good, they were packed EXTREMELY well, zero damage to the box during shipping. They did screw up my order slightly, I had asked for black nipples and I got red but fortunately, the new bike i bought them for has some small amounts of red on it. I had actually wanted to change the order to red as i bought these befroe I made final decision on my new bike but in the end it all worked out perfect. I don't own any tubular tires yet because I wasn't expecting them to get here so fast! time to get some tires for them!
Old 09-17-11, 12:54 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pictures pictures!!!!!!!
Old 10-12-11, 03:13 PM
dayday82

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix 2.0. 2006 Iron Horse Azure Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bump for pictures!
Old 10-12-11, 03:34 PM
Jeepnut22 
Klickety-Klackety

Bikes: Ones with 2 wheels...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50mm on my BMC:

On the whole, these wheels have been great. They had some dramatic tension and truing issues when I first got them. Had my LBS check them and correct those issues before I even mounted them. Fast, noisy, and smooth. All pluses in my opinion. These things have taken a few pothole hits without issue. Only problem I have is the Swiss Stop yellow pads are loud when on the brakes hard. Have some Kool Stops I am going to swap one of these days to see it that improves...
Old 07-19-13, 09:34 AM
tagaproject6

Any long term report? How are these wheels holding so far?
Old 07-19-13, 04:24 PM
Jeepnut22 
Klickety-Klackety

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Any long term report? How are these wheels holding so far?
Close to 2 1/2 years on mine. Hubs roll forever, free hub still noisy, smooth riding wheels. Only issue I have is that the spoke tension needs readjustment at least 4 times a season. Something I am not thrilled with, but the positives outweigh that one negative. Braking is ok, Koolstops were hideously noisy compared to the yellow Swiss stops. Going to try the Swiss stop blacks soon.

Overall I have been happy with them. About 3k miles on them, give or take. Don't ride them in Winter or when raining, but that's how N+1 gets justified.
Old 07-19-13, 05:01 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
^^^^ so wheels you hardly use still need to be trued FOUR TIMES A YEAR? Based on your post you need to service these wheels every 300km. How can you be happy with that?

It means the carbon rims are not round or straight.

Old 07-19-13, 05:25 PM
Jeepnut22 
Klickety-Klackety

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
^^^^ so wheels you hardly use still need to be trued FOUR TIMES A YEAR? Based on your post you need to service these wheels every 300km. How can you be happy with that?

It means the carbon rims are not round or straight.
Typo, meant 3k a year. Sorry...

This year with injuries will be far less...
Old 07-20-13, 06:23 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Still, that means they need work every 750km?

Completely unacceptable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.