Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

MKS Lambda

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

MKS Lambda

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-16, 09:08 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I don't doubt that the pedals work well, but they are one of the ugliest set of pedals I have ever laid eyes on.
You've clearly never seen a pair of Ergon pedals. They're wide, grippy and extremely supportive; they're great pedals-if you close your eyes. I have a pair on my commuter bike, and while I love the way they feel, I really can't stand the way they look.
Old 08-22-16, 09:52 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jade408
Thanks! I just added the front rack, it is practical and pretty.

These look like they'd match pretty well. What sold me on the Lambdas is that they are nicer to the soles of your shoes.
I've ridden with platform pedals with grippy 'nails' on them with running shoes for years and never had them damage the soles road riding. maybe while mountain biking?
Old 08-22-16, 09:54 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzz2050
You've clearly never seen a pair of Ergon pedals. They're wide, grippy and extremely supportive; they're great pedals-if you close your eyes. I have a pair on my commuter bike, and while I love the way they feel, I really can't stand the way they look.
Oh god. I was at a bike shop and they were like you have ugly pedals. I have these. And then they recommended the Ergon ones.
Old 08-22-16, 10:03 PM
jade408

Originally Posted by idiotekniQues
I've ridden with platform pedals with grippy 'nails' on them with running shoes for years and never had them damage the soles road riding. maybe while mountain biking?

I should clarify, dress shoe and boot friendly! I am thinking about the hard soled shoes I have. I am a utility rider, and totally wear dress clothes on my bike.
Old 08-22-16, 10:23 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzz2050
Yeah not for me either.
Old 08-23-16, 08:04 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by jade408
... And then they recommended the Ergon ones.
There is some distinction in producing the world's ugliest pedal. Respect!
Old 08-23-16, 08:28 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Have a set on 2 different bikes. Like them for the bling, and foot support. I keep on set on my commuter, which lets me wear whatever shoes I feel like that day, including flip flops, and still be able to ride.

Interesting about the power grips....might have to try those
Old 08-26-16, 08:41 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have a pair on my LHT with PowerGrips. I think they work fine with regular shoes or sneakers.

However because of their shape I do believe they rub the straps and may begin to cut into them. But I've been using mine for about 5 years and with some electrical tape around where they were partially cut and it's been holding up fine. It's not the prettiest set up but I don't notice how they look when I ride.
Old 08-28-16, 07:58 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I've been thinking about getting the Lambdas for use in winter with my winter boots.
Old 08-28-16, 10:08 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Due to me destroying my Shimano Saints, I am currently using a very heavy set of pedals from my old bike, which look like the first pic I am attaching and according to Bike 24, this set weighs 592grams. Bike 24 also has a set that look similar that weigh 624grams.

This really offends my inner weight weeny.

In a few weeks I am going to purchase the Control Tech Burst DownhillPedals see second attachment, mainly because it is a large platform(107mm x 100mm) and it looks like I can install toe clips on these pedals.

If I manage to destroy these pedals too, I'd be tempted to get the NC-17 Sudpin IV S-Pro, as they claim to have a design that does not let the platform slide off the spindle due to breakage. See last attachment.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
NC17 Sudpin IV S-Pro.jpg (78.1 KB, 64 views)
Old 08-29-16, 12:03 AM
jade408

I just got my lambdas put on my bike and rode them for a bit.

I am trading from the MKS Rubber block pedals. These were comfy, but when I wore thing flexible soled shoes I got some foot pain. I couldn't all the way diagnose it, but the pain lined up with where the pedal ended on my foot. Stiffer soled shoes were fine. I also noticed that as I rode longer, I couldn't get the right foot support and position. The lambdas were appealing because I thought the long platform would be helpful.

There was also a idea that some metal pedals might be a nice addition to my bike.

So I rode around 4 miles with the new pedals and the problematic shoes.

Good news: no foot pain! My foot felt supported the whole way home. I felt like I had a good amount of space to shift my foot around. The pedals are wide enough for more slightly wider than "average" width foot (I wear standard width shoes in 90% of them, and wide shoes are generally too big.)

Bad news: The pedals don't seem to spin as much as my old pedals so there is a bit of a mental adjustment on getting my foot positioned. It is so funny how you get adjusted to pedal movement on your bike, but I never notice when riding another bike!

Later in the week, with more rides, I should have a much better handle on things!

I love the bigger platform!
Old 08-30-16, 04:51 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I use the Lambda pedals on three of my bikes and love them. I added pegs to two of them. I left the pegs off the commuter so they wouldn't scar my dress shoes when I wear them. I think the pedals are a vast improvement and since the ball of my foot is resting on air, I no longer suffer "hot foot" on long tours.

Marc