Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

A u-lock holder that doesn't suck?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

A u-lock holder that doesn't suck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-16, 11:59 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
The OP has probably figured something out in the four years since this thread was started, but it still seems worth sharing the Cadillac solution.

This is well outside the realm of this thread, but I'm sure you want to talk about your snazzy new custom bike. How exactly does that work? Does that wood platform lift up?

Also-how is the rear brake cable routed? I can see it leave through that beautiful looking cluster, but don't see where it comes from.

Also-maybe more importantly, who built that? They did a fantastic job.
Old 11-23-16, 12:26 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzz2050
This is well outside the realm of this thread, but I'm sure you want to talk about your snazzy new custom bike. How exactly does that work? Does that wood platform lift up?

Also-how is the rear brake cable routed? I can see it leave through that beautiful looking cluster, but don't see where it comes from.

Also-maybe more importantly, who built that? They did a fantastic job.
It's not my bike. I can only dream. I saw it at a show at Velo Cult recently. It was built by Jon Littleford.

I believe the rear deck lifts up to allow access to the lock, and I think the brake cable comes through the top tube.
Old 11-23-16, 12:37 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
I have two bikes with the Kryptonite U-locks and holders where the locks have a tongue on the shackle by the lock that slides into the holder. You slide a button on the mount to release it. I wouldn't call it perfect but they do work well. I have the mount about 2/3s of the way up the seattube on the left so the shackle hangs down and forward, ending up just lower than the seattube WB cage.

The weight is centralized and not too high on the bike and the lock is almost always accessible after I have parked the bike on a rack. Also clear of panniers and bags. Not dependent on a rear rack. Lock on and off is easy and doesn't require the key.

Ben
Old 02-26-17, 10:27 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I use the kryptonite handlebar U-lock holder. Holds several brands of u-locks and works great.
Old 02-27-17, 01:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Tubus LOCC rack is not Custom, You can buy one,

The $/Euro is close so getting it from Germany wont cost much, Have them ship the Abus U lock that fits best Too.

https://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...MLg6BRpvJQMxGw

Old 02-27-17, 03:01 PM
RunForTheHills

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am going to give the Tigr Mini lock a try along with Pitlocks for the wheels, steerer, and seat. I just ordered it yesterday. It is light weight and bolts to a water bottle mount. I have a bike locker at the office, so this would just be for locking it up in front of the store or a restaurant for an hour or two. They have a bigger version coming out in a couple of months, but I think this will be big enough. With the Pitlocks, I can just lock the frame and not worry about the wheels. I know the Pitlocks can be defeated, but probably not by the casual druggie.

Old 03-12-17, 05:11 PM
bnmotive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
best deterrent for thieves is taking your bike with you anywhere. at work I put my Miyata Liberty road bike inside our storage, at school I leave it inside class on the side. I also walk inside businesses with it (when it's not raining) you save so much time actually without having to lock it all the time.
Old 03-13-17, 09:40 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I ride a couple of bikes, and just toss the lock in the backpack. Whew, it weighs the pack down