Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tunnel vs freestanding tent

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tunnel vs freestanding tent

Old 02-06-17, 11:40 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by francoisnewtown
Hi all, thanks for all your answer, very interresting.

I read Jonathan Hanson's web page about best tent description : amazing ! Jonathan is there good siliconed both side fly and floor coated tent made in north america ??
Tarptent?

Just be aware, silnylon isn't magic. It's pretty damn nice, don't get me wrong. The siliconizing process that strengthens the fabric allows for a very light base fabric, so you can end up with some very light shelters. Tarptent makes some shelters that are a hair over a two pounds for two people, for a fully enclosed, bugproof, storm worthy shelter.

However, it also stretches a fair bit, making it somewhat more difficult to pitch tightly, and worse, it can stretch even more when wet. This means that I've set up my silnylon tarp nice and tight, gone to bed, only to be woken up by a late night rainstorm, and a loose, flapping tarp. It's not a deal breaker, and there are certainly ways to mitigate it, but it's something to be aware of.

Some manufacturers are using new fabrics that seem to have a lot of potential. If you want to go down the rabbit hole, look into silpoly (silicone impregnated polyester, just as light and strong as silnylon, but doesn't stretch) or Cuben fiber (incredibly light and strong non-woven waterproof fabric).
Likes For fuzz2050:
Old 02-07-17, 10:21 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
All of this really depends on where you are going.
Use it in Europa and you will realize why most people opt for the Hillebergs; fairly lightweight, roomy and very durable.
Most of the prime cycling places in Europe are closer to the sea or ocean so horizontal rain and wind are more of an issue. Campsites are readily available and even mandatory in most countries. Hence less problems finding good soil... but it does happen, especially around the mediteranian.

Most freestanding tents are not an option for me because the inner tents are too short if I lay on my back. Tunnel tents are usually a bit more forgiving or a bit taller in that regard.
If you are average in height however, you can't really go wrong with a regular 2-person freestanding tent like an MSR Elixer or BA Copper Spur.

Don't forget some brands such as Helsport, Nigor, Cause and Eureka.
I love their Wicki Up 3 and would buy a Didis 2 if I had the money.
Old 02-07-17, 11:26 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
I like the freestanding tents.

One of the things I do in the mornings is after everything is emptied out, I pick up the tent by the poles and shake out anything I've managed to track inside. I suppose it would be possible with other tent types, but different.

I rarely take tent stakes with me, and would improvise if I ever needed any.

HOWEVER, I'm going to work on lightening my load this coming summer, so perhaps things will change.
Old 06-08-19, 10:38 AM
siltsunrise

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a fan of freestanding. I can't count how many times I've set up then realized there's a bit of slope or bump, and had to remove the tent, then again and again. (More evidence against the flat earthers...)
Putting stakes in dodgy ground is never fun. I only use them on my freestander if it's blowing hard. Tunnels need them all the time, of course.
It also makes drying wonderful. Turn it to face the sun, put it on its side to dry the bottom, hang it from a tree wholesale to let it dry in a breeze.
The light, comfort, and convenience (getting in and out) are superior. Who wants to sit in a tunnel, usually pretty blind - no view. Sucks.
I said feck weight, and am going with a 3 man Hilleberg Allak 3 even though I travel solo most of the time. Only another 400g over 2 man and 5cm more inner height. Heavenly feeling so roomy, and 2 man tents are barely big enough for two anyway, when I do have a lass along.
Biker here, so the weight isn't so critical. Just piss more often.

Last edited by siltsunrise; 06-08-19 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-08-19, 11:23 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I could put up my tent [23] on hard ground with a bag of rocks, instead of a tent stake..

Down filled thick air mattress FTW ..
Old 06-08-19, 12:00 PM
siltsunrise

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I could put up my tent [23] on hard ground with a bag of rocks, instead of a tent stake..

Down filled thick air mattress FTW ..
Ja, I have an xtherm, but who wants to travel with bags of rocks, fer feck sake?
Old 06-08-19, 12:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

IQ test fail..

the bag weighs virtually nothing just a sewn nylon bag with a cord on 1 side ,,,

the rocks were there when you get there and you leave them there the next morning..
Old 06-08-19, 12:38 PM
siltsunrise

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
IQ test fail..

the bag weighs virtually nothing just a sewn nylon bag with a cord on 1 side ,,,

the rocks were there when you get there and you leave them there the next morning..
Mayhaps the IQ test failed is your own, and/or you have no sense of irony, haha.
Old 06-08-19, 01:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

forgot your ironic emoji..
Old 06-08-19, 11:04 PM
waddo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
100% true, Hilleberg was worst tent I ever had. Plus the seams cannot be taped. Ours leaked like mad. They said it was condensation! I said there were no humans in the tent and it LEAKED. They gave us a refund. You need to get out of the tent in the rain and tighten everything up because of the stretching wet fabric. Next morning when the sun shines it becaomes so tight is will stretch the seams and create stich holes letting even more rain in.
Old 06-10-19, 03:24 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by francoisnewtown
...is there good siliconed both side fly and floor coated tent made in north america ??
There are likely dozens of NA tent makers utilizing silnylon. Here's one that started the transition to silnylon construction:

https://www.tarptent.com/
Old 06-10-19, 05:04 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
given that the fellow was asking this 2 1/2 years ago, I would hope that he made up his mind by now.
Old 06-10-19, 05:28 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Yeah. Funny when one tries to answer and realizes I already answered it eons ago.

here is an alternative view. HMG Mid with half insert. We sleep dry in the insert (or without it) and we cook on the bare ground inside the tent not afraid of spills. Both bikes actually fit inside the tent if necessary. Crazy expensive though and somewhat niche.

Last weekend tour around Lake Champlain :

Originally Posted by djb
given that the fellow was asking this 2 1/2 years ago, I would hope that he made up his mind by now.
Old 06-10-19, 07:13 PM
djb

no floor or insert with meshing? Or is that an option when setting up?

saw your photo with the lake in background behind old house, lovely place to bike in Vermont isnt it?
Hope bugs were ok.
Old 06-11-19, 03:12 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

We left the insert at home accidentally 😀 . It was ok, just had to pitch the sides low

Originally Posted by djb
no floor or insert with meshing? Or is that an option when setting up?

saw your photo with the lake in background behind old house, lovely place to bike in Vermont isnt it?
Hope bugs were ok.
Old 06-11-19, 04:11 AM
djb

Well, to be positive in that sort of situation, if you're going to forget some part of it, that certainly was the best half to forget!
Old 06-11-19, 05:23 AM
PedalingWalrus

Originally Posted by djb
Well, to be positive in that sort of situation, if you're going to forget some part of it, that certainly was the best half to forget!
I did bring my "better half" with me ;-)
Old 06-11-19, 06:24 AM
djb

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
I did bring my "better half" with me ;-)
very cute, ha.
if it was this weekend past, it was pretty darn hot here in Montreal, 29-30c, so I imagine it was similar down there.