Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano crank axle length

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-20, 07:50 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts

So let me run this by you guys. One picture is a shimano hollowtech crank in a threaded bb. Notice how the spindle nearly reaches the beginning of the other crank arm’s splines. Then check out the other shimano crank in my Warbird. The spindle doesn’t reach nearly as far into the crank arm. I feel like this isn’t right. I’m not using using spacers so I can’t take any out. What do you guys think?

Old 01-11-20, 09:03 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Sorry but I don't discern much of anything from the photos. Is there an actual problem or are you just nervous? Andy
Old 01-11-20, 09:58 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Warbird is BB86?
Old 01-12-20, 08:20 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Sorry but I don't discern much of anything from the photos. Is there an actual problem or are you just nervous? Andy
Well, the difference is noticeable in real life. The pics aren't bad if you know what you're looking at. I'm trying to discern if there is a problem, I have suspicions.

Originally Posted by DOS
Warbird is BB86?
I believe so, yes. Which in theory should be just fine for Hollowtech cranks.
Old 01-12-20, 09:27 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
It does look like the spindle is coming up a MM or two shorter on the BB86 one. Check to make sure cups are fully pressed in. Then, before tightening the pinch bolts, dial down the preload cap (just hand tight) then pull it back out to see if that helps take up the space.
Old 01-12-20, 11:48 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by DOS
It does look like the spindle is coming up a MM or two shorter on the BB86 one. Check to make sure cups are fully pressed in. Then, before tightening the pinch bolts, dial down the preload cap (just hand tight) then pull it back out to see if that helps take up the space.
Did that already. The crank arms are both right up against the bb shell/cups. There's no way to move them any closer together. They way I see is that the spindle needs to be longer...

My worry is that the outside pinch bolt on the NDS arm is basically not clamping down on the spindle, it's clamping onto nothing. I lost a Dura Ace Stages crank arm the other day due to splitting around that area of the crank arm and I'm wondering if this is the reason why...

Last edited by shoota; 01-12-20 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-12-20, 12:50 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
How many mm short of the end of the crank arm is the spindle coming? Can you take a picture of the outside of it?
Old 01-12-20, 12:57 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Does the safety pin engage the hole in the spindle?
Likes For AnkleWork:
Old 01-12-20, 03:06 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
BSA Shimano Road BB cups are 11.5mm thick, while MTB BB cups are 10.5mm thick. On Road 68mm shell, if you add 2x11.5mm road cups = 91mm total BB width. For 2x10.5mm MTB cups on a 68mm shell, you're supposed to add 7.5mm of spacers = 68+7.5+2x10.5= 96.5mm total BB width. Pressed or threaded BB for Shimano MTB should still have the same total width (so they can run the same cranks).

Are the 2 photos on the same bike with 2 different spindles, or are those 2 different bikes with 2 different spindles?

If it's the same bike and 2 different spindles, then maybe one spindle is meant for road and the other is for MTB.
If it's 2 different bikes with 2 different spindles that have the same spindle lengths, then the total BB width of the 2 bikes do not match. If these are MTB, then you should check if they're a total of 96.5mm.

Also, there was a blog somewhere that you can find on Google, if you search shortening shimano hollowtech q-factor, where the guy said that his old Shimano MTB spindle had enough tolerance to remove 1 of the 2.5mm spacers from the BB cup. He then said if he cut off some of the splines in the left arm, he could remove another 2.5mm spacer without the spindle sticking out of the left crank and without the splines bottoming out (after cutting some of the splines). So I assume some Shimano MTB cranks you'd see at least 5mm gap between the end of the spindle and the end of the crank splines.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 01-12-20 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-13-20, 01:22 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Nope.
Old 01-13-20, 01:52 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Nope.
Then the shell is too wide, or the cups are not fully seated, or something else is wrong.

Have you measured the shell?
Old 01-13-20, 02:35 PM
shoota 

Then the shell is too wide, or the cups are not fully seated, or something else is wrong.

Have you measured the shell?
No, I just assumed it was 86.5mm since that's what it's supposed to be. It's an easy thing to measure though so I'll do it. I've watched a couple videos on youtube and several of those people didn't have the pin down either. If this is an issue I'm surprised I've not come across it before.
Old 01-13-20, 05:33 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
No, I just assumed it was 86.5mm since that's what it's supposed to be. It's an easy thing to measure though so I'll do it. I've watched a couple videos on youtube and several of those people didn't have the pin down either. If this is an issue I'm surprised I've not come across it before.
The overall BB width from dust cap to dust cap is what's most important, because it determines how far the spindle will insert into the left crank arm. I mentioned previously that Shimano MTB BB are 96.5mm wide, while Shimano road BB are 91mm wide.

This site claims that Shimano MTB BB is 96mm, but I think it's closer to 96.5mm because of what I mentioned with the cup width being 1mm thinner on each side than the road, and the 7.5mm spacers that comes with MTB BB cups for 68mm shell, therefore the MTB being 5.5mm wider than the 91mm road BB.
https://wheelsmfg.com/bb-overall-widths

The site also claims BB86 for Shimano to be 92mm, and BB92 for Shimano to be 97.5mm, but usually the manual or the exploded diagram will show some spacers to get it as close as possible to the standard Shimano MTB BB of 96.5mm, otherwise you won't get the same chainline and spline engagement when you use the same MTB crank on all these different BB systems. But +/- 2mm probably won't make much difference.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 01-13-20 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-13-20, 06:59 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
The overall BB width from dust cap to dust cap is what's most important, because it determines how far the spindle will insert into the left crank arm. I mentioned previously that Shimano MTB BB are 96.5mm wide, while Shimano road BB are 91mm wide.

This site claims that Shimano MTB BB is 96mm, but I think it's closer to 96.5mm because of what I mentioned with the cup width being 1mm thinner on each side than the road, and the 7.5mm spacers that comes with MTB BB cups for 68mm shell, therefore the MTB being 5.5mm wider than the 91mm road BB.
https://wheelsmfg.com/bb-overall-widths

The site also claims BB86 for Shimano to be 92mm, and BB92 for Shimano to be 97.5mm, but usually the manual or the exploded diagram will show some spacers to get it as close as possible to the standard Shimano MTB BB of 96.5mm, otherwise you won't get the same chainline and spline engagement when you use the same MTB crank on all these different BB systems. But +/- 2mm probably won't make much difference.
Ah ok I see what you’re saying. Let me go measure that. Thx.