Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Newbs list of questions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Newbs list of questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-04, 07:11 PM
tobiasg
getting back to the road

Bikes: Specialized Stump jumper mostly set up for commuting and touring AND NOW a Specialized Roubaix. . gee do i get customer loyalty credit???

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbs list of questions

Hello,

I just picked up a Specialized Roubaix. Over the last two weeks I have ridden a half dozen bikes and this bike just felt sweet. I got a great deal on an 04 model but now I have some questions.

1. I would like to put on some aero bars soon - any models you all recommend? I mostly want them for the extra positions they offer I don't need anything real expensive.

2. Someone please explain the difference between tubular, sewups and clinchers? I know tubulars have tubes but are some tubulars clinchers too?

3. Do most road bike riders take off the wheel reflectors? I Don't ever plan on riding the bike at night - doesn’t seem like I need them plus the wheels just look so much faster with out the big dork reflectors

4. I am used to push button shifting on my MTN bike - I love the brake lever shifting but it feels like it take a good bit of effort to shift the FD - is this normal? just takes practice I guess?

5. I have been spoiled on my longer rides with my mountain bike - I just dump everything I need in a pannier and away I go - How do all deal with storage on a road bike? Bigger camel back thing, under the seat bag - I don't want to put a rack on cause then I might as well climb back on mtn bike.

I am so excited to ride this bike - I have been doing some long miles on my mtn bike and although it is comfortable it is freaking slow - this thing feels like a little rocket.

Thanks for reading everything!

Peace,
Tobias
Old 10-17-04, 07:19 PM
53-11 alltheway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tobiasg
Hello,

I just picked up a Specialized Roubaix. Over the last two weeks I have ridden a half dozen bikes and this bike just felt sweet. I got a great deal on an 04 model but now I have some questions.

1. I would like to put on some aero bars soon - any models you all recommend? I mostly want them for the extra positions they offer I don't need anything real expensive.

2. Someone please explain the difference between tubular, sewups and clinchers? I know tubulars have tubes but are some tubulars clinchers too?

3. Do most road bike riders take off the wheel reflectors? I Don't ever plan on riding the bike at night - doesn’t seem like I need them plus the wheels just look so much faster with out the big dork reflectors

4. I am used to push button shifting on my MTN bike - I love the brake lever shifting but it feels like it take a good bit of effort to shift the FD - is this normal? just takes practice I guess?

5. I have been spoiled on my longer rides with my mountain bike - I just dump everything I need in a pannier and away I go - How do all deal with storage on a road bike? Bigger camel back thing, under the seat bag - I don't want to put a rack on cause then I might as well climb back on mtn bike.

I am so excited to ride this bike - I have been doing some long miles on my mtn bike and although it is comfortable it is freaking slow - this thing feels like a little rocket.

Peace,
Tobias
#2. Sew-ups and tubulars are the same. They do not use a discrete inner tube. Tubulars (sew-ups) only fit on specail tubular rim. Advantages are that they can be inflated to very high pressure (often to 220 psi) and ride is more supple. Tubular rim/tire combo is also lighter than comparable clincher combo. Disadvantages are that they have to be glued on rim (messy). Incidentally they are not as popular as they once were. Clinchers are pretty good these days

Clinchers are your usual road tires. They have a separate inner tube and mount on clincher rims.

There is such a thing as a tubular tire that mounts to a clincher rim. I use such tires. Tufo makes them. I use their top end model the Tufo tubular elite clincher. It has a lot of advantages of tubular tire (220 max psi and supple ride), but mounts to a standard clincher rim. It has no inner tube.

Last edited by 53-11 alltheway; 10-17-04 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-17-04, 07:21 PM
breggurns
15/16 Cat 5 Jr. Roadie.

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Dont use aero bars so dont know
2. Sewups are another name for tubulars. What they are is a tire that is a tube that is sewed up and glued to the rim. Light, fast, and expensive. Clinchers are the most common tires that use innertubes and are pretty much the same as the ones you have on your mtn bike.
3. Reflectors are a stylish roadie's bane. Just take them off.
4. FD shifting is usually harder than RD shifting because more cable has to be pulled on a FD.
5. No panniers ever. If you have to carry more gear, use a hydration pack. They're not very stylish but can make you more aero by eliminating drag behiind your head.
Enjoy your bike.
Old 10-17-04, 07:23 PM
LordOpie

Bikes: 2006 custom Walt Works roadie, 2003 Fuji Finest (road), 2002 Giant Iguana (mtb), 1986 BMW K75 (motor)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what do you need to carry on your roadbike?
Old 10-17-04, 07:27 PM
pinky
Ink-Stained Wretch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They make some road bike specific aero bars, Profile Design's Slammer GT and SL come to mind. They won't force you to change your position on the bike like real aero bars would.
Old 10-17-04, 07:27 PM
collegeskier

Bikes: Felt F5, Fuji Robaix Pro and a KHS Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

Peace,
Tobias
Congrads on the new bike.

1. Don't know don't use them, feel I already have a lot of positions with the drops.

2. Tubulars and sewup are the same thing, they are the traditional tire. Clichers have tube and I am sure are what came on your bike. The names tubular and clinchers come from the look of the rim minus the tire. search the forums for more info.

3. I left mine on but just cause I figured they can not really hurt, but I don't feel like they really help either.

4. I have not noticed that mine are too hard but if you have a double the jump from low to high is larger then with a tripple there is also a trim click in there that you have to go through. Make sure you are not pushing to hard when you shift.

5. I go camel bak and jersey pockets have a saddle bag but have not attached it yet as it is still on my mountain bike.

Do what feels best for you in general
Old 10-17-04, 07:30 PM
The_Convert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. I would say leave off the aero bars unless you are doing some time trial races. Even then, take them off aside from the race. They give you much less steering control and shouldn't really be used like bar ends on a mountain bike (for more positions). In many group rides, aero bars are prohibited because of this disadvantage of less control.

2. Tubulars/ sew-ups actually Don't have tubes. They glue to the rim. A clincher does have a tube and clinches the rim which obviously needs no cement.

3. Take off the reflectors, I'm sure it's just a saftey reg as to why they are there to begin with.

4. The shifting on your front d. is probably more difficult than the rear but it shouldn't be too hard (especially if you have Dura-Ace or other high-end group). If it continues you may want your shop to check it out.

5. Buy a good riding jersey and utilize the back pockets and also get a small seatbag. That should cover most of what you need on a road ride. The only reason I stay away from Camelbaks on my road bike is because in the leaned over position, it ends up being alot of weight and can contribute to back soreness/ cramping. I'm sure some go that route however.

Otherwise, throw up some pics of her and have fun...!
Old 10-17-04, 07:31 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I don't have any recommendations as I don't really use them myself. However, make sure you see a real benefit with them and also keep in mind that when you're in them, your steering will be negatively affected. You probably don't want to use them in any group rides.

This was already covered so I'll skip it.

My personal opinion is that wheel reflectors are future candidates for road litter and are pretty ineffectual. I also prefer active lighting for night riding.

This is pretty normal. My MTB FD shifts so much more quickly and cleanly than the one on my RB and I've got Dura-Ace on the RB. You just need to get used to the amount sweep required on the left shifter.

See a previous post of mine to see what and how I carry stuff.
Old 10-17-04, 07:36 PM
bianchi_rider
Nothing But Bianchi

Bikes: Bianchi Giro, Bianchi Funny Bike TT,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#1 There are several clamp on aero bars, that way you dont have to change out your original bars, look in bike nashbar, or specialized, colo cyclist, ebay etc.
#2 you already got alot of answers between tubulars and clinchers
#3 I have absolutely no reflectors on my bike, I did put bar end lights in the handle bar ends.
#4 practice, you are used to mtb, it will all come in time.
#5 under seat bag with the essentials
water bottle cages on the frame...
Congrats on the new bike, ride safe
Old 10-17-04, 07:40 PM
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#1, Ritchey makes nice bars, solid company.
#3, get some reflective tape, weighs nothing, remove.
Old 10-17-04, 08:17 PM
tobiasg
getting back to the road

Bikes: Specialized Stump jumper mostly set up for commuting and touring AND NOW a Specialized Roubaix. . gee do i get customer loyalty credit???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies - I will hold off on Aero bars. I stuck the roubaix in the trainer and was practicing with the FD shifting. . . man it seems rough some times. This is the 105 group so I don't expect it to be perfect but at the same time it seems jumpier than it should be.

I feel like a tire expert now

Thanks Khuon for providing such a detailed list of what you bring. . kind of looks like my packing list for a week of backpacking With winter riding coming up I was thinking more of jacket and such - But I bet if I stuff hard I can get it in a jersey pocket.

Thanks Again!
Old 10-17-04, 11:42 PM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hello,

Peace,
Tobias
1) cant say since I havent used aero bars, and dont plan on getting any soon... I like the regular rounded drops pretty well...I might go ergo drops, but that's about as exotic as I'll get.

2) sew-up = tubular. Clinchers are the regular tires you find everywhere, from wal-mart to your LBS. If you have a standard rim where the tire hooks into it, it's a clincher. Tubular merely is a description of the finished assembly...see when the tire is sewn-up, its a tubular shape, which is then glued to a special rim. Tubular is mostly a racing technology, not really convenient or practical for most road use.

3) I always remove the wheel reflectors since they tend to cause issues under speed, as well as possibly pose a hazard if somehow they manage to come loose and jam in the fork. Given this leaves me without side reflection, in violation of local ordinance...but I'm willing to take the $80 ticket if I ever do get nailed for it. Basically it's up to you.....if you want to be legal and remove it, get tires with reflective sidewalls, or reflective tape ont it, etc. Some shimano wheelsets have the word shimano done in reflective material...those work great as well.

4) I'll have STI soon enough, but cant answer yet since I still use downtube shifters

5) i just use a large messenger bag. It's big enough to hold a stereo reciever or 6 2-liters of pop, and fits on my back. For tools and tubes, I use an under-seat bag.