Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trinity

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-04, 05:18 PM
Hitchy

Bikes: how long have you got?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicco
You sound like a Right wing talk show host. You spout off opinions like they are facts. You dont even make the attempt to make rational statements.
I feel sorry for you.

If you dislike the TCR frame and/or Giant so much that is your right. But if someone asks you for your reasons you should at least make the attempt to give real ones.

Please in real terms type out the actual cons for this bike.
Explain to me why Team Telekom must be secretly crying that they have to ride these horrible bikes in the TdF while all the other pros get the good stuff?
Heck if you can do that why don't you do it for all the other top ranked US teams that ride the TCR and are proudly supported by Giant like health net,and Pearl Izumi. The world most winning female Tri-athlete rides a Giant Carbon.

I have yet to read an actual bad reveiw of this bike. If there are some post a link --->here.
And then we can weigh them against all the great ones. Like these
https://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...cr_composite_1
https://www.triathlete.com/reviews.asp?man=78&model=104
https://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...004/news/jun25
https://www.duathlon.com/reviews/deta...ddbea0405b5653
https://www.trialtir-usa.com/news/col...voted-best.htm

In my opinion you could be a hired shill for some "custom" Bike builder who is seeing his buisness being hurt by Giant. DO you get a check for $1.00 everytime you rant incoherintly about it?

Find me another Tour used Frame set place ultegra all over it and still sell it at around 2k!

XOXO
Nicco

...Ok nicco.....did you actually read whta i have said about the TCR?......you can read, i take it?...Ok well I'll type slowly for you so you can understand. My opinion that the TCR 04 frame is crap, (notice I said frame & have always talked about the frame, not the componentry, so don't get confused)...is MY OPINION.....based on my experience with the frame.......are you with me so far?....good...Ok...now you can post as many reviews as you like about the TCR....reviews by there very nature...ARE SOMEONES OPINION......perhaps you might see a correlation here?.....apparently, OPINIONS on the TCR are only valid when they agree with yours.....you still with me?.....or has all this logic become to much?.......Ok next point...when have I said the TCR isn't value for money....they are cheap, awesome value for money......infact I advised a friend yesterday who is looking for a bike with absolute max spend of $2.3AUD to buy one....cheap doesn't mean good....mcdonalds have sold a trillion burgers & are cheap compared to a good sirloin steak (copyright 531....)....& they absolutely are extrordinary value....I believe I have said this in this thread already!.....but you get waht you pay for...personally, at $2.3KAUD I would buy one, strip the Ultegra, the ksyriums, seatpost, bar & stem etc.....throw away the frame & i reckon I'd still be in front.......OK you concentrating?.....this is the difficult bit........If you like 'em...buy 'em.....I don't so I won't......but whatever you do.....try not to embarrass yourself by comparing a TCR frame to a 'highend' carbon frame....which is what started this 'discussion' in the first place

Hitchy
Old 10-18-04, 05:53 PM
Maj.Taylor
World Champion, 1899

Bikes: Litespeed Vortex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
And good that you are sticking to your guns and doing it your way. I'm getting the same looks - "why are you painting that frame? The natural Ti/Carbon is so nice....." Ugghh.
People seem to forget that someone can spend their money on whichever bike/frame they want, and do to it whatever they wish. I'm with 55/RAD. Do whatever you wish. Hell, paint it paisley. Some who feel carbon fiber should remained uncovered may truly prefer what they consider its inherent visual appeal, but I get the impression many more only prefer making visually apparent their frame's inherent cost. To those who feel compelled to criticize another's entirely personal choices, do yourself and everyone else a favor--just go ride your bike.

A nice bike is a nice bike. Period.
Old 10-18-04, 06:30 PM
Nicco
Reformed Rebel

Bikes: Giant TCR, Bontrager MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hitchy
...Ok nicco.....did you actually read whta i have said about the TCR?......you can read, i take it?...Ok well I'll type slowly for you so you can understand. My opinion that the TCR 04 frame is crap, (notice I said frame & have always talked about the frame, not the componentry, so don't get confused)...is MY OPINION.....based on my experience with the frame.......are you with me so far?....good...Ok...now you can post as many reviews as you like about the TCR....reviews by there very nature...ARE SOMEONES OPINION......perhaps you might see a correlation here?.....apparently, OPINIONS on the TCR are only valid when they agree with yours.....you still with me?.....or has all this logic become to much?.......Ok next point...when have I said the TCR isn't value for money....they are cheap, awesome value for money......infact I advised a friend yesterday who is looking for a bike with absolute max spend of $2.3AUD to buy one....cheap doesn't mean good....mcdonalds have sold a trillion burgers & are cheap compared to a good sirloin steak (copyright 531....)....& they absolutely are extrordinary value....I believe I have said this in this thread already!.....but you get waht you pay for...personally, at $2.3KAUD I would buy one, strip the Ultegra, the ksyriums, seatpost, bar & stem etc.....throw away the frame & i reckon I'd still be in front.......OK you concentrating?.....this is the difficult bit........If you like 'em...buy 'em.....I don't so I won't......but whatever you do.....try not to embarrass yourself by comparing a TCR frame to a 'highend' carbon frame....which is what started this 'discussion' in the first place

Hitchy
HItchy
Still babbling I see
You still have not answered the points I raised nor did you make much attempt to back up your own statments.
I can tell you only listen to yourself, but try to listen to other people as well.
You are not as well informed as you tell yourself.
There is in one of those links a top 10 bike reveiw from a Bike rag from europe that has a nice line up showing the TCR way down in 7th, But with great company. (high end company)
Read a bit more of the comments wandering about the Web. The TCR is constantly being put in the same catagory as "high end" Carbon Bikes and it holds its own. These are statments from rational professionals.
From your posts I don't think you qualify as either Rational or Professional.

Please try to calm down a bit. You come across very loopy.

Nicco
Old 10-18-04, 06:41 PM
bianchi_rider
Nothing But Bianchi

Bikes: Bianchi Giro, Bianchi Funny Bike TT,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it is nice
Old 10-18-04, 06:50 PM
Hitchy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HItchy
Still babbling I see
You still have not answered the points I raised nor did you make much attempt to back up your own statments.
I can tell you only listen to yourself, but try to listen to other people as well.
There is in one of those links a top 10 bike reveiw from a Bike rag from europe that has a nice line up showing the TCR way down in 7th, But with great company. (high end company)
Read a bit more of the comments wandering about the Web. The TCR is constantly being put in the same catagory as "high end" Carbon Bikes and it holds its own. These are statments from rational professionals.

Nicco

...you're no candidate for mensa are you?.........oK once again...really, really slowly...You like the TCR...you bought it cos it's cheap (you posted this elsewhere) & that you really couldn't pick any differences in this frame to others you had ridden.More power to you., but I bet you didn't ride anything by Look, colnago, Scott.....I don't like it. That is my OPINION...sorry it doesn't agree with yours!. Reviews are OPINIONS.....just like mine. I haven't rubbished anyone elses opinion...just given mine, however once you describe Giant as a 'highend' company it just undermines your credibility........Now I'm going really slowly here Nicco.......GIANT DO WHAT THEY DO, VERY WELL....they are the Mcdonalds of the bike industry (copyright 531).......but personally I'd rather eat elsewhere.....so ride your TCR & be happy with it......but again...don't show your ignorance & compare it to a high end frame....Giant don't.....they don't compete in that market......so i don't know why you insist that they are able to compete in a market that they want nothing to do with!....again....they are a cheap low end frame (***** @ $2.3K AUD they are giving away the frame for nothing!)....thats where they market it...thats what it is.....If you're happy with that.....fine....I rode it, raced it & didn't like it.....I was able to pick up the nuances between this frame & others......sure i paid for it.....so what?......I'm over this thread.....you can have the last word, I have no energy to argue with someone incapable of having an opinion & allowing others to do so as well. (which is the fundamental basis of what usernet is all about!).....

hitchy
Old 10-18-04, 07:02 PM
53-11 alltheway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes there is only one way to settle an argument....

The Octagon....

P.S. I can't comment on the quality of the frame (don't know if it is good or bad), but the paint job is really nice! You do nice work.

Last edited by 53-11 alltheway; 10-18-04 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-18-04, 07:09 PM
Hitchy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 53-11 alltheway
Sometimes there is only one way to settle an argument....

The Octagon....

P.S. I can't comment on the quality of the frame (don't know if it is good or bad), but the paint job is really nice! You do nice work.

LMFAO.......you know a 'discussion' has gone to far when 53-11 is the voice of reason.....

hitchy
Old 10-18-04, 07:15 PM
53-11 alltheway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hitchy
LMFAO.......you know a 'discussion' has gone to far when 53-11 is the voice of reason.....

hitchy
That is true. When I have to step in a break it up....You know it's gone too far!!
Old 10-18-04, 07:20 PM
bianchi_rider
Nothing But Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 53-11 alltheway
That is true. When I have to step in a break it up....You know it's gone too far!!
But WAIT !!!!!
I honestly think Nicco has to have a chance to say something else, after all to end something when one of the parties is not online isnt fair....
Old 10-18-04, 07:22 PM
shmanz
Cat. 5 USCF

Bikes: Schwinn Le tour, '96 specialized allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That bike is going to be a beauty. Keep up the good work, and keep us informed.
Old 10-18-04, 07:27 PM
seely
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
To further the Hyundai correlation, Hyundais always do very well in INITIAL quality, but in long term, they always rank near dead last. I would imagine the same is true for the TCR. I've ridden a few now, and the bottom bracket feels flexy to me, and the seam running the entire length of the top tube is a bit disconcerting to me. I have to say I think its the only carbon bike I have ever seen with such a visible seam.

HItchy
Still babbling I see

Nicco
Old 10-18-04, 07:40 PM
Hitchy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seely
To further the Hyundai correlation, Hyundais always do very well in INITIAL quality, but in long term, they always rank near dead last. I would imagine the same is true for the TCR. I've ridden a few now, and the bottom bracket feels flexy to me, and the seam running the entire length of the top tube is a bit disconcerting to me. I have to say I think its the only carbon bike I have ever seen with such a visible seam.

...must admit, when i raced the thing (crit), i didn't notice much flex thru the BB, but that might have been cos i was too worried about how twitchy the thing is in the front end......look absolute bottom line...& what nicco apparently can't grasp, is that they are cheap frames, mass produced for a particular niche in the market...giant don't make any claim to the contrary...they do what they do well.....again, exactly like hyundai's....but you don't see too many people comparing them & ferrari's. BTW anyone bothered to read nicco's posted links?....1 opinion is by some bloke who admits he's never ridden anything else highend...another is on an Alu TCR (we talkin' carbon here bro), another is on the new TCR...which i haven't commented about cos I ain't ridden it.....another ranked 8 bikes & ranked the TCR 7th....not out of all bikes either...only out of the 8 they tested...hardly a glowing testimony......& the other was one of those 'write your own review' sites........doh....all valid opinions....but opinions only...the end

hitchy
Old 10-18-04, 07:53 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gentlemen, PLEASE!!!!!!!

I just wanted to have a nice little thread to show my progress on a custom build, not start a cage match. I know you have your opinions on the differant bikes etc, but try not to skin each other alive in the process.

Anyway, here are some more pics from this afternoon. I am done with the silver, and removed the taping. I am now ready for decals. I have decided to keep it simple, and just use some basic black lettering to more-or-less match the exposed carbon fiber.

Notice the exposed carbon fiber, as it makes a super-imposed circle over the main triangle in the frame.

The only slight discrepency, is on the top tube. If you'll notice the tips where I painted the silver over the CF. The tips are ever so slightly misaligned. Bummer. Oh, well, I guess that is what makes it unique. I doubt you'll ever find one just like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Frame8.JPG (56.5 KB, 42 views)
Frame9.JPG (59.6 KB, 18 views)
Frame10.JPG (62.9 KB, 15 views)
Frame11.JPG (86.2 KB, 13 views)
Frame12.JPG (62.8 KB, 20 views)
Frame13.JPG (62.9 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Patriot; 09-21-06 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-18-04, 08:02 PM
Hitchy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very nice patriot......whats the frame weigh?.....what about a fork?

Hitchy
Old 10-18-04, 08:22 PM
MelloBoy

Bikes: Trek 2200 Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
patriot,
if you're having dust problems, one option is to actually do it in the bathroom. turn on the shower for a while on hot. after it's hot and humid in there, let the room cool down a bit. the moisture will accumulate on the sink, floor, etc with alot of the dust particles trapped in the water. then bring your frame in and start painting away. that helped me out with dust problems when i was messing around with hard drives and stuff a few years back....it's essentially a poorman's clean room for the most part...
Old 10-18-04, 08:52 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sure, and end with a blue bathroom, and a nice sleeping bag outside in the doghouse after the wife sees what I am up to. Trying to cover the walls and such to prevent overspray would take forever, so I am dealing with the dust in my garage the best I can without wasting too much time to get this thing done.
It's tough enough to have my wife park her new car outside all week. She doesn't like to get rained on.
Old 10-18-04, 08:57 PM
forum*rider
Work hard, Play hard

Bikes: Cannondale super V 500, Bianchi Piaggio(hopefully getting a new road bike when I get some money)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now that is just sweet

In a previous post I said I like bare(clearcoated) carbon frames, but I am going to have to make an exception with this

Beautiful frame and paintjob Patriot! You ever think of starting up a small frame painting business? Could just be a side job, doesn't have to take over your entire life.
Old 10-18-04, 09:08 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I actually thought about that in the past, because I do alot of RC modelling, and I also love cycling. I have all the equipment for auto painting, including custom work with my little dual action airbrush. I really love that little guy. They are so much fun to use, and with a little practice, the results are very professional.

However, to actually paint frames etc for a side job, I really would need to build a small seperate shop on my property, which is not out of the question. I would also have to invest in a small paint booth with proper ventilation and filtration. That is really the only way to go, if you are going to do it professionally.

I figured out I can build a small garage/shop for about $3500.00, and install a single car paint booth for about another $3000.00. So, it is not entirely out of the question, but definitely alot of work, and time to set up. Time, is of course something I have very little of.
Old 10-18-04, 09:21 PM
forum*rider
Work hard, Play hard

Bikes: Cannondale super V 500, Bianchi Piaggio(hopefully getting a new road bike when I get some money)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, it always boils down to how much time you have left doesn't it?

Still, it's a darn sexy paintjob
Old 10-18-04, 09:24 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just to let you all know, the 58cm frame weighs 2.8lbs (1306g), forks 0.83lbs (370g).

Total with FSA headset, about 3.8lbs. Not too bad, but not quite as light as some of the really good stuff, like Time or Orbea Orca frames. They weigh in around 2.3-2.5lbs.
Old 10-19-04, 12:57 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Patriot - nice work. And the exposed carbon, what little is left, is just perfect. As an FYI, detailed paint jobs on carbon and titanium bikes are no less than 4 or $500. And can certainly get higher. The estimate on mine is $700 but I'm working a deal in trade.

5 or 6 bikes painted and you've recouped your investment. Think about it.

55/Rad
Old 10-19-04, 03:47 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually, the plan is, when my daughters are a little older and no longer using the giant jungle gym in the back yard, that is where my shop is going to go. I have a spot where a nice little 20x20 garage would fit perfectly, and I can put all my wood working, and painting equipment out there. A small paint booth may also be in order as well. But, that is years down the road. So, for now, I just make do with my garage.

By the way, I just gave the frame a shot of clear coat. I found out, I have to give it at least one coat of clear prior to decals, because my custom waterslide decals will soften, and potentially cause damage to the airbrush paint. The paint is water-soluable, and really nice stuff. Very easy to work with, and low toxicity level, so I found a respirator in my garage was not really necessary. I just used a little 3M mask. But, a respirator is required when shooting two part Automotive clear coat, or you might get a little dain bramage.

Last edited by Patriot; 10-19-04 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-19-04, 04:05 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Patriot - check your PM.

55/Rad
Old 10-19-04, 04:10 PM
squeegy200

Bikes: Colnago Altain, Klein Pulse II, Stumpjumper FSR, GT Zaskar LE, Pedalforce RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MelloBoy
patriot,
if you're having dust problems, one option is to actually do it in the bathroom. turn on the shower for a while on hot. after it's hot and humid in there, let the room cool down a bit. the moisture will accumulate on the sink, floor, etc with alot of the dust particles trapped in the water. then bring your frame in and start painting away. that helped me out with dust problems when i was messing around with hard drives and stuff a few years back....it's essentially a poorman's clean room for the most part...
You can build a small spray booth. Just hang plastic from the garage ceiling. Then get two room fans and tape some furnace filters onto the fans. One fan blowing air into your booth and exhausting air out. Start up the fans and eventually the airspace inside your little temporary booth will be cleaned out and you can start spraying. (Wear breathing protection while inside!)

When you're done, just take the plastic off the ceiling. Wife still loves you and your paint job will be smoother and no airborne contamination problems.
Old 10-19-04, 04:23 PM
bianchi_rider
Nothing But Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure you have celeste on hand if you do open a small on the side shop

Originally Posted by Patriot
I actually thought about that in the past, because I do alot of RC modelling, and I also love cycling. I have all the equipment for auto painting, including custom work with my little dual action airbrush. I really love that little guy. They are so much fun to use, and with a little practice, the results are very professional.

However, to actually paint frames etc for a side job, I really would need to build a small seperate shop on my property, which is not out of the question. I would also have to invest in a small paint booth with proper ventilation and filtration. That is really the only way to go, if you are going to do it professionally.

I figured out I can build a small garage/shop for about $3500.00, and install a single car paint booth for about another $3000.00. So, it is not entirely out of the question, but definitely alot of work, and time to set up. Time, is of course something I have very little of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.