Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ok so how long do you give an eBay seller?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ok so how long do you give an eBay seller?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-04, 06:12 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Grr So about 48 hours ago now I won an auction for a 03 Marin Mill Valley flat bar road bike on eBay. Within 20 min of the end of the auction I paid via paypal (seller's desired method of payment) and haven't heard anything other than the automatic eBay and paypal emails. I emailed the seller yesterday and at the same time today, asking when he may ship and I have gotten no response. Guy seems to sell a bit (not a lot but a few things) and his feedback was ok (2 negatives but everything else was glowing, probably should have run at the 2 neg but it went for a good price).

So how long do I give this guy? IMO if you post something on eBay it is your responsibility to be availible at the time of the sale so I don't to hear that he could have gone on vacation, that is just BS.

As you can probably tell by now I am starting to get pissed...at what point am I ok to flip out?
Old 10-20-04, 06:27 PM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
If you still haven't heard back from him after 72hrs I would pull his contact info and give him a call. There could be many reasons he has not returned your emails but not many are good enough for me. He knows when his auction ends unless it was a BIN and should be ready to finish the transaction. Good luck.
Old 10-20-04, 06:33 PM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I was checking the closed auctions and did not find your bike. The only one similar was this one

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

but the reserve was not met so no transaction.

Please post your auction #
Old 10-20-04, 06:38 PM
bianchi_rider
Nothing But Bianchi

Bikes: Bianchi Giro, Bianchi Funny Bike TT,

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear Seller.
I am the winner of Item #&*$#@&*%$#, This auction ended 48 hours ago, I do not want to sound over anxcious. BUT I did send payment immediately, along with a few emails. I do think I am entitled to a response.
After all doesnt your listing state that the buyer must make contact within 3 days? Common courtesy goes a long way with a smooth transaction and feedback. I do hope you understand and reply to me at your soonest convenience.
Most Sincerely Grasschopper
Then if that doesnt work send another one the following day but a bit more stern, then you could do as Bluechip said look up his info and call him.
And if that doesnt work REPORT him.
Rotsa Ruck Grasschopper
Old 10-20-04, 06:39 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunday I "won" a pair of Pearl Izumi shorts and the seller promised to ship the next day. They arrived this afternoon and I'm 3000 miles away.

Most sellers expect buyers to respond within 72 hours. It seems perfectly reasonable that a seller should respond within the same time.

Maybe he's still trying to figu0re out how to pack it
Old 10-20-04, 06:49 PM
fogrider

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how did you pay? I always like paypal with a credit card. If paypal won't do anything, your credit card company will, just a phone call will take care of it. Sellers that do a lot of business often don't bother with answering all their email, but they do quickly send out the items. And selling a bike might require the seller find a box and haul it to the shipper...might take a bit of effort compared to selling small parts. But after 72 hours, you could send an email saying you will be contacting paypal if you don't hear from them in the next 24 hours. good luck.
Old 10-20-04, 06:52 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

Here is the auction. Says 2004 but it is a 2003. I knew that when bidding. I paid via paypal with some being balance and the rest being CC payment. I assume I am covered X 3 here as I should have protection with eBay, Paypal and my CC.
Old 10-20-04, 07:09 PM
Fixed Up North

Bikes: A few more than my fair share.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was burned on ebay by seller that never shipped. She (could have been a man pretending I suppose) strung me along, even had me call off the paypal dogs so the money could transfer. I gave her the benefit of the doubt because it was for a Bianchi that I have been looking for for years. Given this guys feedback, I'm guessing that he'll come through eventually. Buyers are going out on a limb by sending money before seeing the item. I wish sellers would be more considerate and put them at ease. The wait sucks.
Old 10-20-04, 07:16 PM
bianchi_rider
Nothing But Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmmm I would email him and wait a day or two. I am sure you will get the bike Its the wrong color, has the wrong name and there is a kickstand on it j/k
Sounds like you are covered, its a shame tho that the seller doesnt have the courtesy to email you with an update.
I have never been conned on ebay except for high shipping fees, but have had the same experience , (No emails from the seller) but my items always came in.
Good Luck Grasschopper
Old 10-20-04, 07:25 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Oh believe me the kick stand is the first thing coming off there. The dork disc if still intact will be #2. The color is the 03 color and the name is the name of the series of bikes (Marin calls their flat bar roadies ALP). Like I said I knew it was an 03 going in. I get a little impatient at times. Not like I could be riding it in this rain anyway
Old 10-20-04, 07:45 PM
zensuit

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Oh believe me the kick stand is the first thing coming off there. The dork disc if still intact will be #2. The color is the 03 color and the name is the name of the series of bikes (Marin calls their flat bar roadies ALP). Like I said I knew it was an 03 going in. I get a little impatient at times. Not like I could be riding it in this rain anyway
Man, I love riding in the rain...not in lightning mind you, but I have a fairly quiet and safe road I can put in about 18 miles on without much traffic, so when it comes down, I head out there and pretend I am in Belgium...Mrs. Zen AND the GF think I am doing it to avoid them, but I love it...

Sick, sick, sick...

Z

Last edited by zensuit; 10-20-04 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-20-04, 07:56 PM
bianchi_rider
Nothing But Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL sounds like me when I lived in Albuquerque NM, It would be snowing and I would be out on my Roadie, the ex wife thought the same thing... (she was right)

Originally Posted by zensuit
Man, I love riding in the rain...not in lightning mind you, but I have a fairly road I can put in about 18 miles on without much traffic, so when it comes down, I head out there and pretend I am in Belgium...Mrs. Zen AND the GF think I am doing it to avoid them, but I love it...

Sick, sick, sick...

Z
Old 10-20-04, 08:45 PM
Snakesvudo
I think therefore I are..

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't get excited yet. I have bought and sold many items on ebay and never had a bad experience. Most sellers go to great lengths to make sure that you get what you buy. The seller is kind of new to ebay transactions looking at the deals he's done he may still be a little green. I would suggest patience.
Old 10-20-04, 08:45 PM
cyclingute
The cycling student.

Bikes: Orbea XLR8R, C-dale Caad4 Aero TT.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Grr So about 48 hours ago now I won an auction for a 03 Marin Mill Valley flat bar road bike on eBay. Within 20 min of the end of the auction I paid via paypal (seller's desired method of payment) and haven't heard anything other than the automatic eBay and paypal emails. I emailed the seller yesterday and at the same time today, asking when he may ship and I have gotten no response. Guy seems to sell a bit (not a lot but a few things) and his feedback was ok (2 negatives but everything else was glowing, probably should have run at the 2 neg but it went for a good price).

So how long do I give this guy? IMO if you post something on eBay it is your responsibility to be availible at the time of the sale so I don't to hear that he could have gone on vacation, that is just BS.

As you can probably tell by now I am starting to get pissed...at what point am I ok to flip out?
I can't aswer for this seller, but when I sell and know I won't be around for a few days, I let my bidders know that. For example, say I'm selling a Litespeed whatever, and I'm going to be out of town this weekend and won't be able to reply to emails, I say so. I also let them know that I will reply to the emails once I'm back into town.

It's possible this guy is having trouble with his computer, or had an emergency, or what not. Looking at the feedback given to the guy, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. His recent feedback shows a good shipping record.

Good luck.
Old 10-20-04, 09:06 PM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had bad luck with ebay and will not do any more high dollar transactions on ebay. Last time I was conned out of 1200 for a laptop.
Old 10-20-04, 09:13 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I asked him a question on another item he is selling. I'll see if he responds.
Old 10-21-04, 05:00 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

I contacted the buyer of his last item which was a Dell Axiom. That guy says he is supposed to get the Axiom tomorrow and I asked him to let me know if e does. Thing is because he is in NY and I am in central PA even if he ships it today I should have it tomorrow (stated shipping method was UPS) and can use it this weekend.
Old 10-21-04, 05:32 AM
Cycliste

Bikes: Surley LHT, Cannondale R1000, IBEX Ignition, Bianchi Boardwalk, KHS Milano Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My guess is that he/she has never shipped a bike before and is running around like a headless chicken looking for a box or a good rate
Old 10-21-04, 07:31 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
ah grasschopper one must learn to listen to the sound
of one gear turning.
I've had similiar delays and lack of communication. Never had
a bad experience or been burned.
his 2 negatives sound like he tried to rectify situation.
You always have paypal and ebay safe harbour to back you
up.
Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 10-21-04, 07:56 AM
NW NJ Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It too soon to worry yet. Cycliste's post is probably correct.
Old 10-21-04, 08:48 AM
ManBearPig
1/2 man,1/2 bear,1/2 pig

Bikes: .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a little TRICK I learned in my 100+ transactions:

Contact Info -- Request a member's contact information

Click this link, and enter the User ID and item# under Contact Info. This will email each of you the other's contact info. Almost every time I have done this, the other party has kicked his or her ass into high gear, and if they don't immediately contact you at least you can try their phone#. Another thing this does is allow you to verify whether they even have valid contact info, cause if they dont they are in violation of policy and can be suspended.
Old 10-21-04, 09:15 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Interesting idea. I actually think I already had his contact info from an email I got right after the auction ended but I did it anyway since like you said it essentially tells the other individual that I am looking for the info. Lets see what happens.
Old 10-21-04, 09:28 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Hmm even more interesting. The info request got me a slightly different phone number. Area code is the same next 3 are different and the last four are the same. So how does that happen? Cell phone change maybe? Middle 3 aren't similar enough that one is a typo one is 526 and the other is 321. Anyone from Long Island able to help with some local change?
Old 10-21-04, 10:51 AM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
paypal via credit card is slower than bank paypal...sometimes a seller wont see the cash in their acct till 3-4 days later...so be patient, but expect some feedback from him...if he wont respond via email call him, if you cant get hold of him there, report him. He is selling something, and therefore should be there to answer.
Old 10-21-04, 10:57 AM
PlasticSun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up a bike off ebay 3 weeks ago and it took the seller 3 days to get back to me. Then there was an extra 4 days delay on the shipping, good news was that they threw in a set of speedplay X-2 pedals, some nice shimano shoes, cleats and a under seat bag. Don't forget to hassle them a bit if they don't get back to you right away or delay shipping, it's an easy way to get extras. Also, double check your email and make sure you're checking the proper address. Did you get an email notification saying the auction had ended? Ebay sends these out to the email address that the seller would be contacting you through.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.