Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Handlebar bag vs. Rack

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Handlebar bag vs. Rack

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-16, 07:16 AM
Seizedpost
Bench vise user

Bikes: 2004 Orbea Marmaloda, 1982 S12-S LTD, 1956? Maino, 1985 Sagres

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Handlebar bag vs. Rack

Hello all,
I am going on a 450 mile bike trip in two weeks with my Fuji S12-S LTD. I still haven't decided how I'll carry my gear.
I already have a rack I could install on the rear. I've been told that the low trail raked fork means that I can load the front without hurting the handling, so I've also considered getting a front rack and/or a handlebar bag.
I'll be going fairly lightweight, and our stops will be split between hotels and camping most likely. We will not be cooking. Here's my packing list:

A change of clothes (will probably do laundry)
Jacket
Lights
Bar of soap
Washcloth
Toothbrush & toothpaste
Flip flops
Sunscreen
Multitool
Patch kit

And if we decide to camp, a small inflatable mattress and a bedsheet.

I'm looking to see if I can do without panniers for aerodynamics. Maybe I should use a rear rack with a trunk, and a handlebar bag?
Any advice is appreciated, as I really need to make up my mind.
Old 06-15-16, 07:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Classic: Carradice long flap saddle bag + a handlebar bag ..

why not both , low rider front pair + bar bag for snacks as you ride?

Angle tech aerodynamic front panniers? (re issue if 80's Tailwind panniers)

Angletech Techwind Panniers : Angletech/CycleDifferent

the Small are the front design.. since Aero is a listed concern ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-15-16 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-15-16, 08:07 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's what I'm thinking. Pull all of your gear together. Get a clean 5 gal. bucket, a bit less than 20 L. Stuff you gear in the bucket. Then you'll have a good idea of what size panniers/bikepack stuff, you'll need. Ortlieb has very good panniers, Nashbar adequate. I know nothing about bikepacking stuff, but would like to know more.
Send me somewhere for bikepacking info please.
Old 06-15-16, 08:13 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bike buckets , the panniers made from buckets..The Bike Bucket - Bike Buckets
Old 06-15-16, 08:21 AM
PhilPub

Bikes: Ron Cooper Columbus SL 1987, Planet X London Road

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
Whatever set-up you go with, and regardless of the overall capacity you need, I'd advise having one luggage solution that allows easy access for essentials and valuables, which can be got at on the bike, and can be removed from the bike very easily. A handlebar bag is good for this; I find it does affect the handling somewhat even if not heavily laden, but you do get used to it.
Old 06-15-16, 12:21 PM
IK_biker
old fart

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have done self-supported overnighters and a 2-night trip without racks and panniers.
H/bar bag + frame half-bag + Carradice Nelson LF for a total of 27 L capacity is enough for the raingear + shelter + bedroom + cook kit + camp clothes, spare biking clothes, plus the bike repair kit (tool, tire levers, patches, spare tube and cables).

This is the usual setup, and your stuff would definitely fit in:

Old 06-18-16, 04:20 PM
Seizedpost
Bench vise user

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I'm staying at hotels and packing light, I've checked and my total needed capacity seems to be less than 15 L. I've settled on a rear rack and I'm looking at Nashbar bags.
I can't decide if I should get the trunk and panniers (and if so which ones), or just the rear panniers.

Nashbar Waterproof Front Panniers 14L waterproof panniers
Nashbar Rack Trunk 11L trunk
Nashbar Rear Touring Panniers 18.5L panniers
Nashbar Front Touring Panniers 10 L panniers

Possible combinations:
Trunk and 10L pannier ($75, 21L)
Trunk and 14L pannier ($90, 25L)
Trunk and 18.5L pannier ($90, 29.5L, total overkill for this trip)

18.5L panniers alone plus a saddlebag I already have ($60, probably around 19.5L)
Or the 14L pannier + saddlebg might be enough, but there wouldn't be much room to spare.

So, what do you think? Should I go without a trunk? I need to decide soon, we leave on the 29th.

Edit: this is all wrong. The capacity is per pannier.

Last edited by Seizedpost; 06-18-16 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-18-16, 04:33 PM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
I know nothing about bikepacking stuff, but would like to know more.
Send me somewhere for bikepacking info please.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl
Old 06-18-16, 06:28 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Seizedpost
Thanks for all the advice. I'm staying at hotels and packing light, I've checked and my total needed capacity seems to be less than 15 L. I've settled on a rear rack and I'm looking at Nashbar bags.
I can't decide if I should get the trunk and panniers (and if so which ones), or just the rear panniers.

Nashbar Waterproof Front Panniers 14L waterproof panniers
Nashbar Rack Trunk 11L trunk
Nashbar Rear Touring Panniers 18.5L panniers
Nashbar Front Touring Panniers 10 L panniers

Possible combinations:
Trunk and 10L pannier ($75, 21L)
Trunk and 14L pannier ($90, 25L)
Trunk and 18.5L pannier ($90, 29.5L, total overkill for this trip)

18.5L panniers alone plus a saddlebag I already have ($60, probably around 19.5L)
Or the 14L pannier + saddlebg might be enough, but there wouldn't be much room to spare.

So, what do you think? Should I go without a trunk? I need to decide soon, we leave on the 29th.
I would just go with the rear panniers.
Packing without panniers can be done but it's a pain in the butt to get to your stuff quickly. (like getting to cloths, food , etc.)
Are you carrying a tent? It will even be harder to get enough space for your other stuff. Otherwise, you should probably be able to do it with a trunk bag......depending on the extra clothing for weather circumstances.
Old 06-18-16, 07:12 PM
Seizedpost
Bench vise user

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I'd better edit that post. I just looked at the listings again and I realized that for the rear panniers, the 18.5L capacity is for each of them. Total 37L. Also, the waterproof front panniers are also rated by capacity individually, so total capacity is 28L. The non-waterproof front panniers don't specify, but they say 10L and I think that's each of them, so 20L total. So any of these panniers by itself would have all the space I need.

And I'm not carrying a tent.
Old 06-18-16, 07:44 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
You have a rear rack so if it were me I'd consider a pair of rear panniers. I don't think you lose that much in aerodynamics with rear mounted panniers that stick out not much further than uyour legs which are really churning up the airflow past passing them as you pedal. Plus you can have stuff you want right away in one pannier and other stuff in the other. A small handlebar bag is great for holding snacks and/or an extra water bottle. Also sunscreen or anything else you want to be able to get to really quickly.

BTW, I use QUALITY plasdtic gabage bags in my panniers to keep stuff dry. Cheap plastic garbage bags can give your stuff a very unpleasant oily smell.

Cheers
Old 06-18-16, 08:53 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Seizedpost
And I'm not carrying a tent.
1. trunks are a pain in the butt, useful only for day rides,
nice for pickanicks with waterproof insulated 6-pack insert.

2. trunks take up the useful top of your rack and often prevent
easy on/off of panniers.

3. you can use front panniers on the rear.

4. you can get a lowrider, use front panniers,
take the weight off the rear end.

5. panniers don't need to be filled. empty space is
just empty space, good for food and/or beer you
pick up along the way.

6. get panniers with compression straps, or add
your own, to collapse the empty spaces.

7. you can tour with only one pannier if not
excessively heavy.

Last edited by saddlesores; 06-18-16 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-19-16, 06:53 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
I traveled for three weeks on my old S-10S back in the late '70s - almost 1200 miles. I just had a cheap Pletscher rack and a canvas duffle bag bungied to that. A plastic garbage bag around the duffle in case it rained. Also a seat bag for tools. Two changes of clothes, a pair of street shoes (I was wearing my Bata Bikers), a light jacket, and a rain poncho. I didn't have a tent, sleeping bag or pad, and 'stealth-camped' alongside the road, picnic tables at roadside rests (there were many on US 6 at the time), or under bridges at night.

For later tours I had picked up a set of old-school Cannondale rear panniers, attaching them to the cheap rack with the duffle on top. Never had a handlebar bag until recently, and I only use that for camera/wallet/phone/chargers.
Old 06-19-16, 07:41 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I just got some Axiom Typhoon Aero waterproof panniers, and yesterday was my first test ride. These ones are 45 liters for the pair, but they roll up, to pretty much eliminate wasted space. Which is also a little annoying, to get in & out of, but not that bad. I totally agree that it's better to have extra capacity, and not need it, than wish you had more room. Especially for food, fresh fruit stands can surprise you.
Old 06-19-16, 08:19 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
Yes: I can never recall thinking "I'm glad my panniers aren't any bigger", or , for that matter, "I wish I didn't have a handlebar bag".
Old 06-19-16, 09:11 AM
fietsbob
Banned

The hip Seattle thing, in certain circles, is French Randonneuring kit. front mini rack under a big handlebar bag..

Premium Gilles Berthoud, preferred , touring bikes, travel bikes, road bikes, tandems : Gilles Berthoud Cycles. Makers of tandem bicycles and custom bicycles
for Max Status amongst your Peers..
Old 06-19-16, 10:41 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
A handlebar bag has the key feature of easy access without getting off the bike. I like to keep the phone, glasses, camera and some food there.
Old 06-19-16, 10:42 AM
roadfix
hello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
I never liked the traditional handlebar bags. I use tactical bags and pouches that easily strap on the bars and hang nicely. In particular, I use the Condor ammo, dump, and accessory bags.
Old 06-19-16, 08:05 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
I never liked the traditional handlebar bags. I use tactical bags and pouches that easily strap on the bars and hang nicely. In particular, I use the Condor ammo, dump, and accessory bags.
I have a tendency to use a Condor MA64 as a handlebar bag. It's just big enough for my wallet, cell phone, keys, light jacket and a snack or two. Hooks easily to my bars, secure, and unhooks just as quickly. Only downside is off the bike, you're left either using it as a fanny pack or an awkward clutch.
Old 06-19-16, 08:54 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
I got these Arkel Dry-Lites panniers and the Arkel Tail Rider trunk bag, just like in this photo:

Panniers
The panniers are very lightweight (19oz, 540 grams!) and waterproof. 28 liters, so it's more for lightweight touring.

They don't instantly click onto the rack like the heavier touring panniers. Instead, they use some strong velcro to attach to the rack top, and a bottom hook on each bag. It's easy to adapt to most racks, and doesn't take long to attach. You have to use both bags, since they attach to each other.

The bag fabric is lightweight, but feels very sturdy. I'd be careful about packing anything with sharp corners, though.

Trunk Bag
It's actually heavier than the panniers, 660 grams. 8 liters expanding to 11 liters. It's water resistant, and a pull-out rain cover makes it waterproof.

I've used the trunk bag on some long day rides, with lunch, extra layers, tools, a U-lock, etc. It attaches with 4 velcro straps, and the top has an expandable bellows and cinch straps to really stuff it if needed. Or carry a jacket rolled up under the straps.

It's base was a little too wide for my narrow rack, and tended to squash the bottom of the trunk bag when I tightened the 4 straps. So I cut a pair of thin hardwood plates to fit between each pair of straps, to widen the base.
Attached Images

Last edited by rm -rf; 06-19-16 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-19-16, 10:07 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
The hip Seattle thing, in certain circles, is French Randonneuring kit. front mini rack under a big handlebar bag..
I guess I'm hip cuz my current ride is a randofied PX10 with an old school big rack mounted front bag, and a big saddlebag. I may add a half frame pack.

I'm mostly going this way because that's what I have while I wait for my Mercian. But it should be fine for short trips. I'll probably take it out for a weekend soon.
Old 06-20-16, 07:52 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Japan has also long copied French type gear so your Nitto racks are of that type..