Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ranking quality of wheels; which set(s) to keep?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-20, 01:35 AM
sanspm

Bikes: Specialized Ruby, Norco Search, Specialized Ruze, Norco VFR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I know next to nothing about wheels and I'm hoping somebody can help me rank the quality of the following older wheelsets before I re-home one of them. They all seem to be in about the same condition, but then I'm not too sure how to assess rim wear. I will keep one set on my bike and have a second set to use on my trainer. Which would you keep?

xxxx? Mavic Aksium Race
2015 Fulcrum S4 (I read that "Racing 4 in fact is a racing 3 rim, racing 5 hub and custom spokes")
2012 Ultegra 6700

While we're here, if you were to do a modest but worthwhile upgrade (with a modest budget) from these wheelsets what would you look for? Carbon? Tubeless? Or just a better quality alloy clincher? And then which would you keep for your trainer wheels?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Old 01-24-20, 04:02 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
The Mavic hubs aren't much chop
Old 01-24-20, 06:08 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Are these the new Aksiums or old? If old, they're the bottom.

For an upgrade, it always depends on budget, but "modest" budget screams "alloy". Tubeless would be nice to have as an option, and most recent wheels will work with it. I'm a huge fan of the Hed Belgium Plus, which is often available for an awfully good price. Like at CC right now.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/h...HED0074-BK-SHI

Durable, semi-aero, wide, tubeless. There aren't going to be many better wheelsets under a grand.
Old 01-24-20, 11:10 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Fulcrum > Ultegra > Aksium

To upgrade I'd go with one of the ~1500g ~30mm x 25mm wide aluminum wheelsets
Old 01-24-20, 04:36 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I have two sets of Aksiums. The latest set came with a CAAD 12 I bought last June. I find them to be a bit heavy but basically bullet proof. I also rode a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite clinchers for quite a few years. They are lighter and equally durable. Last year I went to Mavic Ksyrium Elite USTs and I will never go back. Bought at Competitive Cyclist for about $500. That's two tubeless wheels with tires. They are lighter, more comfortable and easier to spin up. I was a total skeptic about road tubeless but I am an avid convert now.