Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

XC to DH

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-16, 01:41 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
TIRES! Tires tires tires. Get good tires, modern ones with modern rubber and modern tread that hook up, fat ones you can run at low pressure. Ask at your LBS what's good for your runs.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-16-16, 03:02 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Dang those guys got sidetracked. Back to your issue...

Been there, done that. Don't throw a bunch of money into it--the return isn't worth it. Like you've done is good--wider bar, maybe shorter stem. This slows down steering so it's not so twitchy. Don't go too short on the stem because you'll mess up the climbing quality of the bike. 70 is probably enough. Your riding position should equal out to what is was originally with the wider bar that makes you lean forward more and the shorter stem offsetting that by bringing you back more upright. You'll feel less twitchy than before.

I also recommend some modern rubber. I like Bontragers a lot, XR3s front and back. Run the widest tire you can in front. This will give more cush with your old, short travel fork and also increase your cornering grip. You can run a narrower one in back to keep it lighter for climbing--running two diff sizes is very common. If you can, put a 2.3 on the front and a 2.2 on the back. Maybe all your front fork clearance can handle is a 2.2--that's ok. Whatever the case, you want a high-volume, tall profile tire up front. These mod are cheap and should help with descents. DON'T try to upgrade forks--way too much money and you'll prob mess up the ride quality of the bike--I did that myself once.

Last edited by bikeme; 02-16-16 at 03:12 AM.
Old 02-21-16, 12:45 AM
LoriRose

Bikes: '90 Bianchi Grizzly, '91 Look mi70, '99 RM Hammer Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme
Dang those guys got sidetracked. Back to your issue...

Been there, done that. Don't throw a bunch of money into it--the return isn't worth it. Like you've done is good--wider bar, maybe shorter stem. This slows down steering so it's not so twitchy. Don't go too short on the stem because you'll mess up the climbing quality of the bike. 70 is probably enough. Your riding position should equal out to what is was originally with the wider bar that makes you lean forward more and the shorter stem offsetting that by bringing you back more upright. You'll feel less twitchy than before.

I also recommend some modern rubber. I like Bontragers a lot, XR3s front and back. Run the widest tire you can in front. This will give more cush with your old, short travel fork and also increase your cornering grip. You can run a narrower one in back to keep it lighter for climbing--running two diff sizes is very common. If you can, put a 2.3 on the front and a 2.2 on the back. Maybe all your front fork clearance can handle is a 2.2--that's ok. Whatever the case, you want a high-volume, tall profile tire up front. These mod are cheap and should help with descents. DON'T try to upgrade forks--way too much money and you'll prob mess up the ride quality of the bike--I did that myself once.
Amazing. Thank you!